Cornell & Diehl Star of the East

(3.16)
One half Latakia with a generous portion of Turkish and sweetened with stoved red Virginia.
Notes: Starting with a base of 50% Latakia, with a generous portion of Turkish leaf, then sweetened with stoved red Virginia, Star of the East is a full-bodied blend, as well as a long time favorite of Cornell & Diehl customers.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.16 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 51 - 60 of 108 Reviews
Jun 30, 2019 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Some say it's a runner-up to Penzance. They're nuts. This blend has an overpowering, almost annoying Turkish/Oriental flavor which lasts about halfway through the bowl. Then, it changes into a mellower smoke - similar to Quiet Nights for the second half. This was an experimental blending attempt at competing with Penzance, I'm sure. If I want Quiet Nights, I'll buy it (which I do like and enjoy). If I want Penzance, I have Penzance on hand and enjoy that, too. This just didn't work for me.
Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Cob
PurchasedFrom: SmokingPipes.com
Dec 05, 2018 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
What sets C&D Star of the East apart from other English style tobaccos is its sweetness. The Latakia is ever present although not over powering, the Turkish tobacco is noticeable in the background but the stoved red Virginias steal the show. It is so sweet that one is tempted to think that is has a top dressing, although the description says no. Based on my experience with stoved red Virginia tobacco, in particular the gone but not forgotten McClelland Red Cake, I am inclined to think that quality Virginias are the source of the sweetness. Also, unlike artificially sweetened tobacco, the sweetness of C&D SotE does not diminish toward the end of the smoke.

The cut is course but it lights easily and burns well to a light gray ash. The nicotine hit is moderate. Unlike some reviewers, I detected no hotness or tongue bite -- it is an easy tobacco to smoke, even if you puff hard. The aroma of the unlit tobacco is typical of English style tobaccos and gives no hint of how sweet it is when lit.

If you like Latakia and sweet tobaccos, you will love this stuff. I purchased four ounces a year ago and plan to buy more.
Pipe Used: Various briars
PurchasedFrom: Pipes & Cigars
Age When Smoked: 1 year old
ATW
Oct 11, 2018 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
After years of trying different English/Balkan blends, this is the first one in a good while that I say wow to. My 2 oz sample came in on the dry side but no humidification needed. The bag aroma is heavy smokiness with a slight earthy mustiness from the Turkish and a slightly dark sweetness in the back ground. The flavor is smoky with the very slightly mustiness coming in from time to time and a nice amount of spice on the retro-hale, but what I'm really enjoying is the graham cracker like flavor and sweetness that's playing very well with the smokiness. This blend is also very consistent from start to finish. For 50% Latakia content, this is a very well constructed blend. A little rough but some age will smooth this out real nicely. And the price is great.
May 31, 2018 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
Big balkan flavor. The latakia is huge in this one, but it doesn't mask the orientals, and they really shine in this blend in that typical balkan style. There is a subtle sweetness from the Virginias which is nice.

This would go well with vanilla flavoring, I discovered. I thought it had a vanilla flavor somehow, but it turned out I was near a Nabisco factory. It could be a promising combo.

You can view my video review of this blend here:

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Bent Diplomat Apple
PurchasedFrom: Smoking Pipes
Age When Smoked: 10 Weeks
Mar 14, 2017 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong
I get good sweetness from this tobacco when smoked in a taller thinner bowl (standard cob) and more Turkish forward when smoked in a short wide bowl. Almost to the point of sour, but not unpleasant.

Not gonna make any friends with this one in an enclosed space but it's interesting enough that you probably won't care.
Pipe Used: Cob, Savinelli 320, Joe Case Billiard
PurchasedFrom: Smokingpipes.com
Age When Smoked: Fresh through 6 months
Aug 30, 2016 Medium None Detected Extra Full Tolerable
Deep and dark heavy English blend here. Not for the inexperienced. Savory, with a thin sweetness playing through. Billows of smoke that is rich and satisfying. Reminds me a bit of ol Nighcap.
Pipe Used: 1985 Ashton XX Canadian.
PurchasedFrom: Smokingpipes
Age When Smoked: 11 years old in mason jar.
Jul 18, 2016 Mild to Medium None Detected Overwhelming Strong
Star of the East is a lat bomb. This blend is comprised of at least three different tobaccos and fifty percent of the composition is Latakia. There is more Latakia than any other tobacco in this blend.

Visually this blend is ribbon cut tobaccos mostly black with not quite as much dark brown. The moisture level is slightly drier than I prefer, perhaps just on the verge of crispiness but not really crispy. The pouch note is smoky Latakia with a pungent Izmir.

Upon first light the flavor is sharp, sour, and smoky. Very overwhelming. It smoked that way throughout the entire bowl. I smoked five and a half bowls over two weeks before I finally gave up and tossed what was left of my bulk ounce in the garbage.

Needless to say I cannot recommend this blend. I do enjoy Balkan-style blends, but this is not one of them.

Pipe Used: Caked briar
Mar 01, 2016 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant
I have been a tried and true aromatic smoker my entire 20+ year pipe career. I ran a smoke shop when I was 18 and could NOT stand even being near, let alone smoking latakia.

Then, maybe 6 months ago, something flipped, and this tasty treat has become my go to smoke. I'm at, at least 1 bowl a day, most days are 3 bowls. This baccy has me wishing I could smoke it constantly through out my day at work. (No smoking allowed.) I can't say enough about how delicious this is.

First go with it was out of a tin. It needed a little time to dry, but once that was achieved, it packed easy and lit straight away. Just one relight and I was able to smoke this down to a grey/white ash without a hint of dottle.

It has a generous mouth feel, but smokes cool. I currently order it in bulk and keep it in a good sized airtight jar ala Candy Shop. Smokes just like that first go, out of the tin, just no time need to dry it out.
Pipe Used: Dunhill's and Savinelli's Maybe a Peterson
Nov 26, 2015 Mild None Detected Medium Very Pleasant
Wonderful smoke. Not too complex which is what I really like. It is just a wonderful smoke. As always,a nice English from C&D.

Sidenote: 50-50 SOTE and 1Q makes a very interesting smoke.
Pipe Used: Dedicated C&D briars for English/Balkans
Jun 05, 2015 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
I bought a veritable truckload of SOTE (16oz which is the most of one blend I've ever bought at once) on the recommendations of other smokers here on tobacco reviews as a budget replacement for my now beloved Balkan Sasieni. And while I'm not dissatisfied, I am a little disappointed. Certainly the value is excellent at less than half the cost of BS in 50g tins, but as someone else here mentioned, it does seem to be missing something.

While I'm not challenging C&D's claim of 50% latakia, I have a little trouble seeing how this could be the case since the taste to me seems almost watered down. It's like J&B blended scotch and soda compared to Balkan Sasieni's single malt neat. Don't get me wrong, I like scotch and soda! But that's what I order when I'm out at a bar and can't afford a nice single malt whisky (which is what I savour at home). So in that regard, the comparison is apt (and I was being naively optimistic) because what I really want is a truckload of Balkan Sasieni, just like I'd like a tankerload of Macallan 18 year old. What it's missing to me is that thick smoke of leather and old books and musty countryside that I get from BS. Again, it's there, but fainter as though it's been watered down. Even with BS that peaty flavour isn't overpowering ...but it's there for you, up front, whereas with SOTE you have to consciously search for it. You taste the latakia ... but it's not as flavourful and complex and evocative. You may not notice this, however, if you smoked only SOTE. But I've been alternating bowls between SOTE and BS and every time I go back to BS I think, "Ah, that's how it's supposed to be."

I've jarred the bagged bulk contents into some 500ml and 250ml mason jars so that I can put some away and come back to it in a year or two while I smoke some fresh Balkan Sasieni. Will I buy it again? Uh, yes ...I think I will ... but it will be to save some money to put towards a bottle of Macallan 18 ...or the more affordable Dalwhinnie 15. 🙂

Pipe Used: a variety of briars
PurchasedFrom: 4noggins.com