Watch City Cigar The Churchwarden

Brand Watch City Cigar
Blended By Ernie Q
Manufactured By
Blend Type English
Contents Black Cavendish, Cigar Leaf, Kentucky, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique
Cut Krumble Kake

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.42 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 Reviews
Sep 03, 2010 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Ultimately, this mixture was done in by the cigar leaf.

Overall, the bowls were enjoyable but all ended with a harsh, bitter and bad tobacco taste I have to attribute to the cigar leaf. I like my pipe tobaccos (English, VApers, Aros) like I like my ciagrs: Good tasting. This blend smoked well but the bowls ended with the taste of a bad maduro cigar.

I enjoyed N'oreaster much more which, according to Watch City, is the same blend without the cigar leaf.
Apr 09, 2006 Medium None Detected Full Tolerable
The Latakia and Orientals are excellent in this blend. I also find the Perique to be just about right...a little more wouldn't hurt. However, I find the cigar leaf to be a bit more than I would like. Don't get me wrong. I love a good cigar...I'm just not sure I want to put one in my pipe. I've tried 3 Watch City blends, now. And while I will recommend this to those who like cigar leaf, I'll have to rank this one 3rd, after Nor'Easter and Justice Mixture. I will add that it packs and burns easily, and the visual quality of the smoke is also satisfying.
Apr 30, 2024 Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
Watch City
The Churchwarden
(bulk)

Blend notes: “This is a full Balkan comprised of 30% Orientals and 30% latakia with cigar leaf, Green River black [cavendish] and perique. This is a wonderfully rich and balanced blend suitable for fly-fishing or intense contemplation.”

At first light there is a slight sense of perfume. Then the Latakia announces its presence, and then becomes a dry, gritty background note. When you break up the ‘cake’ it goes into a kind of sand fairly quickly — this right out of the plastic pouch.

The Orientals are there as well but they can’t compete head to head with 30% Latakia. The Perique is at best a condiment and struggles to show up.

There is nothing bad here at all, but rather that the competition is way, way better. The Churchwarden feels unfocused.

In my view, Watch City’s Nor’easter is far better.

2 out of 4 stars.