A best-selling mild-to-medium blend of Black and Gold Cavendish tobaccos, with a slightly sweet vanilla top flavoring that is very smooth and consistent. Said to be essentially the same product as Super Value Black & Gold.

Notes: Admiral's Choice pipe tobaccos are manufactured by Dream Castle Tobacco Company, a division of Sutliff Tobacco Company. Pipesandcigars.com and CigarsInternational.com are now the exclusive online and catalog retailer of these blends, though they can be found in retail outlets also.

BrandAdmiral's Choice
Packaging8-oz. bag
Strength
Taste
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The black cavendish is smooth vanilla. The gold cavendish is lightly grassy with a mild honey note. The creamy vanilla topping mostly sublimates the tobaccos, but they do peek through a little more after the half way point. There’s also a light caramel in the topping as well. Has very little nicotine. Won’t bite. Needs some dry time. Burns cool, smooth and lightly creamy at a moderate pace, requiring a few relights, and will leave some moisture in the bowl, but it’s not goopy. Has a pleasant after taste. An all day routine, uncomplicated smoke that doesn't fill your senses, but will give you the sweet flavor you're looking for. Two and a half stars.

-JimInks

Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

Bleh! What a disappointment, especially based on how much I usually love Admiral's Choice! I'm a big Dream Castle fan, keeping a small wooden jar of Admiral's Choice Vanilla Cavendish and Super Value Chocolate around, so I decided to pick up some of this stuff on one of my low-end tobacco runs. Smoked alright, nothing special. But the smell in the pipe afterward was revolting! It was like a fireplace where you had burned the soul of a skunk-demon...at least, that was the best I could come up with. It was so bad, I had to force myself to smoke it again, just to be sure it wouldn't be a waste to just toss the bag. To be sure I could taste it originally again, I used a different pipe. This time, I picked up on the foulness immediately, and it went right to the ashtray. If you want cheap and good tobacco, stick with Admiral's Choice Vanilla Cavendish or the Chocolate Super Value. The Black & Gold is simply unsavory.

damajor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
damajor (4)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I wouldn't say this is an all day smoke. But I do enjoy a bowl about every night. Just enough sweetness, a good smoke. Char, tamp, relight and sip and enjoy!

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (31)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

inexpensive tobacco--good value for the money--

nice aroma in the bag-- needs drying--lot's of drying--3 days before it was ready--

packs easily; lights easily-- did use a char light-- could smoke hot and bite--very slow puffing is the key to keeping it from biting--

slight gurgle at mid pipe--cleared up easily with a swab-- more flavorful towards the end of the bowl-- a bit of dottle left--no white ash here--

handled correctly a decent value--not a premium smoke, but i have done a lot worse--

Emeritus Account (30051)

A newbie to pipe smoking this what I started with. It's readily available at CVS drug stores, which is where I bought my corn cob pipe. Had a good enough time puffing away on my first few tries, but have since "graduated" to the Captain Black brand which I now wish I had started with instead. Live and learn, right?

Folks complimented me on the room note, but on trying Captain Black's White I can tell you that the difference is night and day when it comes to taste. Admiral's Choice came in an 8 oz bag and I now have 6 oz left which I doubt I'll ever smoke again, so if you want to try some let me know (wink). If you never smoked anything before it might be a way to start, but you don't get as much bang for your buck as you might with Captain Black, and the taste is harsher (to me). No doubt I will graduate from the Captain Black selections I'm currently enjoying to better quality blends in the future, but for now they're a-ok. I'll go into those in another review.

As far as Admiral's Choice goes, however, I would venture a guess that you could do worse, but probably a lot better. If it's the only thing available (and it's usually not) you might get a bag and split it with some buddies if you are all trying out pipes for the first time. Corn cobs are cheap enough and work very well; I now have four which I rotate during the week. If you find you don't like smoking you aren't out a lot of dough. If you are satisfied with Admiral's Choice after your first few go-rounds, just know there's better (and equally available) tobac that won't break your budget. Again, this is the review of a newbie meant for newbies. I probably won't buy my first briar for three or six months until I'm sure I'm packing correctly, more familiar with various tobac types, etc.

Thanks for reading.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (303)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I try to be very forgiving of budget tobacco's in general since I was once a broke college kid that could only afford cheap pouches and do remember what it was like to have to smoke the entire pouch until I could get my next paycheck, that said I really do not like the Admiral Choice line. I feel that the toppings used are too mild and the tobacco used is very cheap. I ordered all of the flavors just to give them all a fair shot and I really couldn't force myself to smoke more than three or four bowls of each. After my fourth bowl this week of B&G I couldn't take anymore and went right back to Lane 1Q, spend a little extra and order 1Q or if you cannot mail order, buy a pouch of Captain Black Royal. At the very least CB Royal has a rich Vanilla aroma and taste whereas the Admirals Choice blends are truly underwhelming...

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This blend comes soaking wet in a ziplock bag, pouch note is that of table syrup. Difficult to light or keep lit due to its moisture level and is quite oily to the touch. Almost not tobacco taste or any nicotine hit and cloyingly sweet, it will ghost the pipe and your fingertips. I tried drying it out for a week and nothing changed, this stuff is permanently wet. Id avoid it at all costs, the price is almost too good to resist (i know i fell for the trap too) Probably one of the worst blends going

Pipe Used: Largo Oom Paul

Age When Smoked: Current production

Purchased From: CVS

Similar Blends: Middleton's Black and Mild.

Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

When I bought this brand I thought that it would do as a good stand-in for Captian Black Royal. I was sadly wrong. I am not sure if it is the different amount of gold burley that they use, but the taste is much different. They do not even smell the same.

This smokes VERY wet. Its sticky. You can puff as slow as you can and you will still get a gurgle out of your pipe as it protests in anguish at being treated in such a fashion. You could probably leave this stuff out in the sun for a week and it wouldn't be dry enough yet. For all its wetness, though, it somehow manages to stay lit. In fact, most of these tobaccos by this brand pretty well stay lit no matter what you do to them.

With Captain Black Royal, as an example, you can taste the sweet choclate and vanilla as the smoke fills the room and the notes of sweetness revist you a second time. This tobbaco, however, leaves much to be desired. It can nip your tongue if you are not careful. For some reason it burns pretty hot.

Someone noted that the taste was akin to maple. This may be true, but it surely does not taste anything like the blend of Captain Black Royal, and that is just as well, or I suppose no one would buy Captian Black for the price. I am not rightly sure what it tastes like to me, but there are times I can taste something sweet, though I am not wholly sure what it is I am tasting. Also note that the aroma of the tobacco is as faint as the taste.

There is a saying in life: "You get what you pay for." and that is certainly true in this instance.

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (84)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

As usual, I am going to be kind er to this blend than others have been. At just over a dollar an ounce, one cannot hope to find the next Dunhill or Davidoff. You do get a nice, aromatic, bite-free, flavorful smoke. When you open the pouch, there is the typical vanilla and Cavendish smell. The moisture level was perfect for me, though I tend to like my tobaccos more hydrated than most of the smokers on this site. If it crunches like hay, it needs some water. You have to be careful with packing as the ribbon is thicker. It lights up well and the smoke is thick and aromatic. The wife approves of this one, even in a small apartment. The flavor? There is more golden than in 1Q and not near as much vanilla. Think more Captain Black Gold with a bit of Super Value Black Cavendish thrown in to stretch your supply. The flavor stays consistent to the end of the bowl. I did have to re-light once, but that could be due to user error. The one bad thing about that is that the first few puffs on the re-light are not good, but the tobaco soon settles back down and finishes like it starts. There is no moisture left in the pipe. The ash is nice and fine. There is no after-taste. The nicotine level is low. It will not ghost your pipe. If this were still at CVS, and I was needing an all-day blend while the wife shopped, I would be happy to pick up a pouch and sit with my pipe outside and accept compliments from passers-by. And, there is something about the 8 ounce pouch that just seems the right size for portability and economy. There are many cheaper pouches, but you do end up paying more per ounce. This bag seems like a good compromise to get your money's worth.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This blend actually also comes in large tins and the aromatic combination of flavors is quite nice. A light and sweet compilation with mostly flavored Cavendish with a dash of straight burley for a boost. It actually tastes like tobacco but I think I'll take the rest of my eight ounce tin to my local pipe club. It is one of those blends that satisfies once a year.

Pipestud

Dreamcastle is owned by Altadis, and this line is marketed in CVS pharmacies across the country.

This is your typical steam cased aromatic. It is on a par with the likes of Lane's 1-Q. It is sweet,smells nice, and smokes fairly wet. It is best in a cob, clay, or meer, as this helps mitigate the moisture. Because these blends sit in the store for so long, there is a goodly porton of PG in them. This is just the nature of the beast.

If you like Captain Black, but don't care to pay $25-30 for the large tin, this is a much more economical option. It runs about $8 for 8oz where I live. I can't identify the flavoring of this one, but it seems "maple-like", and as mentioned, sweet. It can nip if you push it, so go slowly. The tobacco flavor is almost imperceptible to me, and the finish is a bit ashy.

Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I rather liken this to fishing. You can spend your whole life sitting quietly with a cane pole and a few worms at a favorite fishin hole or two and spend a lifetime of gentle, pleasant days. Or, you can experience the broad range of styles, fish, and equipment and enjoy a lifetime of rich, varied activity. I think of other tobaccos and pipes as the later - a world filled with complexity, adventure, and full activitity.

That said, a person could do a lot worse than go through life drawing mild, lightly sweet smoke through a cob. This is where I find AC B&G Cavendish. If you like to experience variety and fuller flavored tobaccos this one will get lost in the journey. This is a simple, mild, pleasant, but unexciting tobacco. There is nothing pretentious about it. Okay, maybe the bag description is a bit so. Just like spending a lifetime with a cane pole lazily dipped into a quiet little fishin hole somewhere, whiling away the hours, a person could spend the same time doing much the same thing smoking this in a corn cob pipe. In a cob this is simple, soft pleasure out of the mainstream (pun not intended). There is nothing wrong with that and at times I can envy someone who can be content with this combination.

I like a little bit more in terms of fullness and variety. As such, I'm spending time searching for the elusive, "just right" tobacco and pipe combination. To continue the fishing analogy, I don't need the ultimate fly fishing experience or the Bass Masters pro tour. Maybe something more in the realm of some nice panfishing/small trout work with a decent fly or spinning rig and a small selection of flys and lures. Taking a cane pole break now and then is a diversion that requires me to stop, breathe slowly, and appreciate the minimalist, laid back approach. Thus, Black & Gold Cavendish is an infrequent stop. It isn't fulfilling or really satisfying, just a minimal break now and then that requires you slow down and pay attention or you will miss it.

Dry it out some before you pack. Pack lightly at the bottom of the bowl. Use a corn cob pipe. Clear your mind, settle down and enjoy the subtle, mild smoke. Blink and you will miss the taste. There is nothing wrong with that. Just don't expect bold flavour and robust smoking experience. That isn't the song this one sings. It's more of a soft humming as one does simple, pleasurable things. There are worse ways to live.

If comparing it to similar tobaccos it is a 3.5 or 4 star. However, comparing it to the bigger pond, I give it a solid 2 stars.

Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (77)

Even after aging, this didn't do much for my palate. Nice flavor. Nutty, cocoa, vanilla- typical profile in this genre. Just didn't excite me. Didn't like or not like ACBG. Blah is the best way to describe this. Noticed a slight bite, even after drying. Honestly, I find Blenders Gold to have better flavor, smoking qualities and higher quality leaf. Never get a bite with BG, but I do with AC. BG Burley and Black with a pinch more of their toasted cavendish is quite tasty. As far as AC, just not my cup of tea. AC Natural is the better option in their series IMHO.

Smokolier Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokolier (14)

While surveying budget blends of pipe tobacco, I weighed my options and settled on Admiral's Choice. It's manufactured by Sutliff, a brand I recognize and well regard, so I figured it couldn't be too bad.

Indeed, it met my (low) expectations. At first I found it utterly unpleasant, however, with time and some drying, as well as with vigorous smoking, I was able to coax some flavor out of it.

Heavily cased vanilla dominates this blend, which is perceptible even through the packaging. It's a bit like taking a whiff of vanilla extract. The tobacco itself is almost devoid of smell. At first, before I had dryed it, it was difficult to light and to keep lit without overheating. However, after drying, it burned well and stayed lit consistently. It arrives in the package almost sopping with moisture and needs a good few hours out in the air.

The cavendish is mild, and maybe even a little bit stinky, but nevertheless present. Nutty burley backs it up and provides a solid foundation for the blend as a whole. Despite how intense the vanilla casing/topping smells, very little of it comes through in flavor, but what little is present gives the blend a little bit of interest. Overall, not a horrible tasting experience, and somehow far better than my experience with Lane 1-Q.

This blend also had very little nicotine. Its mild flavor, combined with the paltry amount of lady nic, actually renders it a very competent all-day smoke. The room note is dessert-like and exceptional and will likely be acceptable to all but the most ardent of the smoke-averse.

Of the tobacco in the value category, you could do much worse than this, but don't expect too much out of it. This is like the Coor's Lite of tobacco. If you're in the market for a cheap backup smoke, then for the price, this simply cannot be beaten. If you're like me, and you're buying this simply for the sake of trying everything, including bottom of the barrel blends, it's probably worth checking out. It can get much, much worse (Borkum Riff, I'm looking at you.)

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: 3 Days

Similar Blends: Lane 1-Q, Captain Black Gold.

Timoth Q Billingsly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Timoth Q Billingsly (2)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

iT sucked it sucked it sucked it sucked it sucked it sucked it sukked ittttt suqqed it sucked it suckied it sucked it scuekd it sucked

Pipe Used: Mine