Hearth & Home Larry's Blend

(3.51)
Larry Loerzel, one of our regular store customers, and connoisseur of English/Balkan blends had tried Ten to Midnight, and although he liked it, he was looking for something a little fuller and different. Based on his preference, we blended a full, traditional Balkan using Orientals that were more buttery and amped up the latakia. This blend is now a big hit among our full bodied English fans; a cool-smoking, very rich mixture.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.51 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 41 - 50 of 118 Reviews
Aug 08, 2019 Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant
Notes from the Post-McClelland Visionquest. The quest is neverending, but at this moment, and for the last 2 weeks, I've been parked at H&H's Larry's Blend, a simply masterful concoction that seems to agree with all my pipes, in and out of rotation, that "This be the place" to stop my wailing and gnashing of teeth at the lost McClellands. There's that initial note of sweetness that endures as a trace throughout the bowlfull. Burns beautifully, with little moisture, even in pipes that, with the wrong fill, sometimes resemble hubbly-bubbly hookahs. Is it the Lat that supplies that grace note of sweetness, or is it some casing? Don't care: it's a Goldilocks "just right." Slight sourness from the Orientals, which I love in any English/Balkan blend, billows of smoke, even on a sipped draw. Larry's is making me forget all the other worthy blends I've sampled and bought in quantity. Ready to purchase by the pound, just to make sure.
Pipe Used: Savinelli Oscar Billiard, Chacom Dublin, others
PurchasedFrom: Pipes and Cigars
Age When Smoked: Weeks-old bulk
Jan 23, 2018 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
This is one of my favorite blends. It easily ranks within my top ten.

The tin note is a deep leathery, smokey, and somewhat earthy smell that has just a bit of straw smell deep in the back. The ribbon cut is just right and packs easily using my favorite method of packing, the Frank method.

On first light that wonderful latakia comes alive with thick savory clouds of smoke. The Virginia doesn't exactly play second string like in some English blends. The subtle sweetness of cherry is what comes to mind, but in a good way. The Orientals are not all that detectable until about mid bowl, when a bit of tangy goodness comes out in the back ground. The entire blend is a full symphony of flavor and is best enjoyed looking deep into a blazing fire while lost in thought.

I keep this one in my main rotation and I am always glad when it's time to light up some of Larry's Blend once again. If you are a lover of English Blends with a bit of extra sweetness I think you'll love Larry's Blend by Hearth and Home.
Pipe Used: Stanwell Danish Sovereign Zulu, Cob, Neerup Poker
PurchasedFrom: Pipesandcigars.com
Age When Smoked: 4 years old bulk
Aug 23, 2016 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
This is a Lat.bomb! Mellow,not jarring like some do.Enough Virginia to keep it in check. Well balanced and really quite delicious.I love this stuff and will definitely be ordering some more
Pipe Used: Savinelli
Nov 25, 2015 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant
I can't say that is within my top 5 English/Balkan blends but very close. I will buy again and have some aging. All tobaccos are noticeable at various levels of the bowl, makes just interesting enough to enjoy over and over again. I would say a mild to medium in strength and taste, very pleasant to the palate and never a tongue bite .

I prefer a 320 bowl to experience the range of favors coming together, smoke slow and easy to get full effect.
Pipe Used: Sav briar
PurchasedFrom: Smoking Pipes
Age When Smoked: new and six months
Nov 18, 2015 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
Yummy with more complexity than most Latakia blends. This is a really good english blend, for a great price buying it in bulk. Packs, lights, and smokes very well. Latakia is very straight forward with enough added to give it more complexity than others. According to the wife (who rates the room note because she puts up with it), it is tolerable. The only reason I gave it three stars vs. four...is because I do think there are a few others (Dunhill blends) that are a bit tastier. Otherwise, if you enjoy a mouth full of flavor, do NOT hesitate to try this good blend.
Pipe Used: Ben Wades
Aug 11, 2015 Strong None Detected Full Strong
What a Balkan! The second I popped open the can I swear I could smell salty sea air and spiced lamb. I recently purchased a 1938 Yello-Bole Imperial Giant Billiard at an estate sale in Cape Cod. When I got my first whiff of that massive tin note I knew what weapon was required for the job.

It tastes like how a Merlin V12 Spitfire engine sounds.. If that makes sense.. It has the "boom factor". I would absolutely call this a "lat-bomb". It tastes salty, briny, and smokey. I would consider this a blend best smoked before bed. I often save Larry's Blend for a chilly, rainy evening best savored by sitting in my gazebo and listening to the planes overhead.

This blend is clearly of the highest quality and I highly recommend it. I tip my hat to Russ! Outstandingly good blend.

Edit: The woman has informed me that this does not smell pleasant at all. She doesn't smoke - but she enjoys the smell of almost anything that isn't a "lat-bomb".
Pipe Used: 1938 Imperial
PurchasedFrom: Pipes&Cigars
Nov 26, 2014 Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant
05/2015 - Just got done enjoying another bowl of this blend and have placed another order. I find this best when you can sit down, relax and enjoy a slow smoke.

Being the analytical type, I like things that make sense to me. With so many tobacco choices; while I’d like to try some, I don’t want to have a bunch of different blends on hand. To my way of thinking, that just complicates matters.

So I’ve been in search of 2 standby blends (one English and one aromatic) and then others (as specialties) that fills a rotating third slot in my line up.

Larry’s blend was suggested to me by some folks from the forum, www.pipemagazine.com. I had posed a question as to what I might consider for this rotating 3rd slot.

Larry’s blend is most definitely a winner! From the very first bowl I found this enjoyable. I’ve now smoked about 6 bowls and find very pleasant. The Latakia is evident but not over baring. It packs nicely and smokes very well. It has a great smell in the bag and billowing smoke that tickles my nose as I smoke it. My wife enjoys the smell of the smoke.

I can see myself buying more of this blend to rotate in and out of the coveted 3rd slot position, while Dunhill’s Early Morning Pipe and Hearth & Home’s Vermont Meat Candy remain my everyday English and Aromatic smokes.
Pipe Used: corn cob and briar
PurchasedFrom: Pipe and Cigar dot com
Age When Smoked: just rec'v
Jan 20, 2014 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
Sorry to come late on this... what a miss !!! Kind of a fabulous and unique Latakia blend, extremely "creamy" and palatable... worth a whole symphony of praise ! However, to keep it short... just buy it, smoke it, and fully enjoyment is with you !
Pipe Used: Moretti, Reiner Thilo
PurchasedFrom: Ample sample from a good friend
Age When Smoked: <1 year
Apr 27, 2013 Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong
I love Latakia but this is a little much for me. I would call this one a Latakia bomb. I can taste a little oriental but it is not delicate enough to let much of any thing come through except Latakia. A heavy handed mixture to me but I am sure some will love it.
Nov 02, 2012 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong
This was my first balkan, and all i can say is whew! It is smokey as holey hell. When i got the package in the mail i could smell this stuff through the box. It comes packaged real dry, packs decently yet burns really badly. The flavor is somewhat buttery and smooth, with some serious smokiness and earthy-ness. There are also some floral twinges here and there as well which provides some nice complexity.

The finish however is somewhat bitter. And the constant relites certainly dont help it at all. By halfway through a MM cob, there is just too many relites, that the flavor really goes south.

target="_blank"