BrandWilke Pipe Tobacco
Strength
Taste
3.2
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I was curious about the name of this blend. Turns out it is a valley in Vermont, through which a river of the same name flows. The valley seems to be known for dairy farms, cheese, and good grouse hunting; while the river is a good fly fishing waterway for trout.

On to the tobacco, this is a flue-cured black cavendish of the vanilla variety. There are many vanilla pipe tobaccos available, and I've tried a few in the past. I liked the general effect and idea, but did not like how they were implemented. The base tobacco was not very good, they tended to glop up a pipe, and be like a stealth weapon. Taste mellow - but steam the heck out of your tongue. They were the kind of ilk that creates a jugged pipe, because there was always a large wet dottle left at the end.

Pipeworks and Wilke seems to know a thing or two about blending this kind of tobacco, as they managed to somehow avoid these evils. This one smoked much drier, and I got no tongue bite. It was not as dry as say an english blend, but it smoked down well in a perfectly acceptable way. The flavor is a very distinct vanilla, and very pleasant - enough sweetness, but not overdone. It is a friendly smoke - not requiring a lot of attention, but giving back a nice return in a cool satisfying way.

That brings me back to the name. This a great blend when you are afield, I can see it being a favorite for me when shooting sporting clays, fishing, or hunting. Not that I won't smoke it at home - I will. It's also other person friendly - the kind of tobacco people say "mm..that smells good". Unlike other blends that I have tried that generate that reaction, I like it even more than they do. It's not a complex blend, just a very enjoyable one, carried out with skill. Easily the best of breed that I've run across.

The sugary black cavendish is smooth and creamy, and is complimented by the mild vanilla topping. Very one dimensional and consistent in its sweet flavor to the finish, it makes a good mixer as well as a decent smoke on its own, though I think it’s rather expensive to be a mixer when cheaper, similar tasting straight BC bends are on the market. The strength and taste levels are mild. Has virtually no nicotine, and won't bite or get harsh. Burns slow, requires some relights and may need a little dry time, depending on your preference. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, but no dottle. Has a short lived, pleasant after taste and room note. An all day smoke.

-JimInks

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Unlike most vanilla Cavendish, there is neither any goopiness or burble. A very mild cool-burning smoke with no bite.

The vanilla is very light; while very enjoyable, I rated this at three stars only as it might have delivered just a touch more on the aromatic front - I admit I am a sucker for Borkum Riff's Admiral's Flake Vanilla et al.

This said, I have only just begun smoking P&W and am deeply appreciative of the high quality of all tobaccos tasted thus far, as well as the consistently "light hand" relative to the flavorings.

Four stars for quality and burn, three for aromatic qualities.

Update: nearly perfect in a Vauen filter churchwarden. Still only 3 stars, however, as spouse did not rave about room note as with other vanilla aros. That said, on the smoking end, maintain a solid 4 stars for quality and burn. Easy on pipe and smoker alike - not even a hint of gurgle or bite at any point.

Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

This is a great blender. In fact, this is the Vanilla in blend 191, which is the most popular blend they sell. That blend is far more complex offering a much richer smoke. This can be a little boring. It is mild, mild mild, in every respect. One might say bland. As a mixer it can wake up some lazy blends, but alone it is just OK. This blend might be a good first smoke for the beginner.

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Well What can you say about Mettowee but wonderful Pipe Tobacco smells Good in the Pouch. Vanilla flavoring stay all the way down to the bottom of the bowl. aroma in the room delightfu. flue-cured black Cavendish. and sweet taste delicious and No bite.the flavor stay thougt out the bowl one of the best aromatics . i smoke this tobacco with a Hot cup of coffee it great. one a all day smoke. is wonderful tobacco, and i give it 4 star

Medium Medium Medium to Full Unnoticeable

I'm not big on flavored tobaccos but this stuff is extraordinary. I'd just come off a small pouch of Captain Black, and there is no comparison. The flavor here is there, for sure, but it is not obtrusive, there is absolutely no bite, it's an all-day tobacco for people who live with a pipe clamped in their teeth.

Mork Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mork (68)
Extremely Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Mettowee, Wilke

Description: Vanilla is added in bountiful portions to provide a sweet taste and marvelous aroma to this flue-cured Black Cavendish. Plenty of rich flavor and an extremely mild taste.

Discussion:

Straight black cavendish topped with, I assume, straight vanilla. Literally the lowest nicotine blend I think I’ve ever had. Has more nuance than one might expect on the surface. A bit of cream. Not crazily sweet, but not bland either. Not chemically at all, which surprised me. Very mild, very inoffensive. A very high quality version of the BC vanilla OTC genre. No goop, no gurgle, no harshness. Just well, straight up black cav executed rather well.

Looking at the blend, I thought I was going to outright hate it. The concept of a straight black cavendish blend, as a snobby VA smoker, was frankly horrifying. Still, my buddy had kindly sent it to me, so I was definitely going to at least smoke a bowl.

I think that illustrates an important part of pipe smoking. Give things a chance. If I had just said something empty but kind about the sample, without trying it (something I would never do), I would have missed out on a very strong memory and a pleasant experience.

I think many pipe smokers have a deeply embedded memory of someone smoking a pipe around them as a kid. While both my grandfathers smoked pipes, they both had died either before I was born, or shortly after. So, for me, the pipe smoker I remember from my earliest days was a kindly old chess teacher. He smoked what I assume was 1-Q, the archetypal vanilla aromatic. This tasted just like that smelled. But, I imagine, with less goop and less chemical. I was transported back to learning that game and talking to this fellow who seemed just ancient to me at the time and, was in all fairness, probably in his 70s. Though that seems significantly less old to me as I am just over halfway there now myself. I hadn't thought about those lessons or that fellow in a very long time.

So, this blend is a very good portal back to those smokers you knew who went to town on 1-Q and the like.

Rating: Good.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (74)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a very mild yet sweet and tastey smoke. Not complex or exotic, just a straight Black Cavendish done right. As others have mentioned, it does make a nice addition when added to less favorable blends, thus salvaging what might have been thrown out. It can also cool out some hot, bitey blends. Excellent for the begining pipe smoker and anyone looking for an easy sweet smoke. As with all aromatics you must let it dry out a little first. You will then be rewarded as it will burn clean and dry down to the bottom of the bowl and leave you with a sweet pipe.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (303)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Like my fellow reviewers have stated Mettowee is not a goopy sloppy mess but rather a very elegant Vanilla aromatic. Using the finest and expensive Vanilla powder, Carole creates wonderful aromatics that are at the top of their genre, using only the cream of the crop base tobacco's, she reverts back to antique blending recipes that the 1890s through 1970s New Yorker enjoyed. The whole family loves the aroma of Mettowee and I use it to cut a stinky English so I can smoke anywhere I please with them, the car, the bedroom etc.

Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

To date I have reviewed 12 of Carole's wonderful tobaccos and Mettowee is the first that has added up to less than three stars. P&W offers a very unique Cavendish, unlike any Cavendish I have ever tasted. It is simply terrific. However as the star of this blend, it is so mild that it doesn't carry enough interest beyond the few bowls I have tried. It's very, very mild in taste and flavor with zero complexity. To be fair, it sets out to do exactly as described. For me, it would make a great addition to spruce up other blends, but not as a frequent aromatic smoke, especially since IMHO Carole produces other outstanding aromatics.

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This has to be my Number 2 vanilla cased blend, behind Paradise by Boswell. It has no tounge bite, great flavor. It burns nice and retains the vanilla casing flavor even after hours of not lighting it. Great tobacco. I didn't use it for blending as they recommend...I used it straight and it was phenomenal. Get some, smoke some...love it.

On a side note. My wife loves all my aromatics but this one was more aromatic for me, and less for her. She actually got choked up by it...but I puffed away happily and liked the aroma.

Emeritus Account (29751)

Great tobacco and as others have said good as a blending tobacco & I also like it very much on its own.

22 May 2009 Update: I'm tightening up on my ratings and only give 4 stars to my top 5 blends that are in my core rotation of tobaccos. Those at this date are Escudo, Penzance, University Flake, Churchill & still deciding what the 5th will be.

I now rate this as a very solid 3.5

Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Another wonderful blend from Pipeworks & Wilke! A very mild blend that could use some drying out. A great smoke for an oldie or newbie. an all day simple smoke too. I just wish Carole from Pipeworks had a storefront!

Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I had the same problem with this blend that I did with Pipework's Cherry Cavendish, the flavoring was rather unnoticeable. On a few occasions, I may have convinced myself that I was smoking a vanilla aromatic, but that is about as far as it got. On the other hand, the room note on this blend was very nice, kind of like toasted marshmallows. The reason I gave this 3 stars is because the tobacco itself tasted good enough, albeit rather monotonous only being made of black cavendish.

I think in the future I will try mixing what I have left with other blends, as another reviewer has suggested. Also, I think I'll just try Pipework's non-aromatics from now on. Hopefully they will be better and more flavorful.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Mettowee is a very simple tobacco.....a mild, pleasant, black cavendish, vanilla aromatic.

IMHO, this one lacks character, smoked on it's own, but makes an excellent blending agent to flavor/sweeten up other boring blends that I probably shouldn't have bought. :^)