Samuel Gawith Chocolate Flake

(3.02)
The first of a collection dedicated to Samuel Gawith 1st, Chocolate Flake is a luxury blend of Virginias, burley and long-leaf latakias. To complete the luxury a rich, dark chocolate has been added after cutting. Excellent smoking qualities with good smoke and a delicious room note. Medium strength.
Notes: Due to EU regulations this is now called "CH Flake" (formerly CF Flake) in Europe.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.02 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 91 - 100 of 200 Reviews
Jun 18, 2012 Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
50g rectangle tin.

Tin aroma: potent slight perfume(masculine)cocoa& mild tonquin/woody waxy vanilla,(not dissimular to Gawith and Hogarth's 'Bobs Chocolate Flake')full dairy butter,earthy.

Appearance of uneven, dark bark brown coloured, roughly hand chomped, honest looking meaty flakes, with salt or sugar crystals.

I take some loose stuff and speculating that it will be difficult to light without pre-drying,i put it in a bud grinder to tear it into raggy little loose pellets to creat some more exposed surface area.

Lighting is quite easy actually and i don't get much expansion overflow due to the fully rubbed out nature of my preparation having already expanded it.

Tastes how it smells,i feel i can mainly taste a browned virginia,mature and fermented with a slight earthy burley backdrop.Very well melded together to produce a 'burginia/virley' where it tastes like a single tobacco. Whole wheat but thoroughly smooth ground with no lumpiness.

Meaty earthy full,but gentle,buttery with evident cocoa hint and very light tonquin & potters clay red terracotta/ bread dough mouth feel.Its thick and rich like a big butter pie pastry.

Slow and cool burning,but possibly faster than it would be due to the extreme rubbed out nature of my preparation;if i had smoked this in a more intact flake form,i am sure it would be cooler and slower again(but would it burn?)and i would probably be tasting the burley more. But seeing as i dislike relights and that this is already performing as good as i would like already,i don't see any need to alter my preparation methods.

Sweet and salty in equal measure at the same time,but not to the point of being brine like;the interface between sweet and savoury actually(kind of mocca coffee - meets malted night drink).

Simular to G&H 'Bobs chocolate flake',but no smokey latakia hint,and also this doesn't have half of bobs 'playdoh'factor(a factor i do like in bobs,but didn't want in Sams because i wanted this to be different).

Regarding the pipe,i am using a vintage 'Turbo Flow' aluminium stem system pipe with moisture trap ala falcon style,with about a @2.5mm draught diameter smoke tube which being slim amplifies and concentrates the virginias to be tasted at their fullest without compromising other ingredients.I expect this baccy will be a gentler option for those who are not so keen on the lakeland charecteristic which is stronger in G&H'S Bobs Chocolate Flake.

The moisture trap needs to be wiped out about 1 or 2 times in a smoking session or i drown;but its not a problem - and means the system is doing its job and i am getting a good dry smoke which doesn't leave unburned dottle.

Creats a sweet & savoury bakery room note with no sour stale ammonia or cigarettish hum/linger.

The post pipe aftertaste is akin to a powdery bakers flour/pie pastry mix with cocoa powder and slight brown sugar factor. No bite at all or soapyness either.

This and 'Bobs Chocolate Flake'make good contemporaries and substitutes when i want to smoke a chocolate flake like them. I will definately keep some on hand and would buy again.

The nicotine is medium to strong,but the heavyness of the rich tobacco that actually makes me feel like i have a full stomache afterwards, makes the nicotine probably feel higher than it actually is.It feels like a heavier weight strong dark english ale that while not high in percentage,it compensates in density(of which would probably be the perfect complimentary drink).

Once lit, it burns all the way down with little maintenance to a fine fluffy ash..

3 Stars*** recommended.

Update:just checking 'Tobacco Reviews' for a second oppinion,it mentions latakia;i admit that i never tasted any directly but it could explain a certain mouth-feel where its coolness was felt and perhaps amplified or disguised itself well with the cocoa to taste like a burn't cocoa,or like the well-done crust on a slice of bread if you get my meaning.

The latakia in here is definately in lighter measure than in Bobs chocolate flake.I would not change pipes to augment the latakia (bigger draught smoke tube)because i feel it will creat taste losses in the virginia,plus the latakia in here is probably serving some subtle technical background control function to serve the burley and virginia marriage rather than as a real 3rd tasting ingredient i recon(others may differ).
Jun 01, 2012 Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable
This is regular in my rotation, but I gave it only 3 stars since it's kinda in the middle - neither a classic aro, nor an unscented blend, so I don't see how it would be highly recommended to anyone. Still, I do recommend people try this one to see if they like it.

It's by no means a classic aro - there is no sweetness at all to this blend (not really chocolate), on the contrary, the added cocoa makes it a bit on the bitter side.

I've found that for the best taste and smoke-ability, one should rub it out and let it air out for about 40-50 minutes. Smoking it right out of the tin or with just a bit of airing won't do. Don't over-dry it either, though.

Word of caution: The latest batch of Chocolate Flake tins I ordered, the tobacco came very fresh, very unlike S.Gawith. It would need at least a couple of years of aging.
Mar 09, 2012 Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Well, my first review... here I go: I had heard of this blend for so long and I decided to give it a chance but it showed nothing to me. Plain and weird, I couldn't taste nothing but chocolate and a little sip of subtle latakia sometimes... NOMORE!!!
Dec 06, 2011 Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant
Nice hints of dark chocolate/cacao make this a nice flavored tabacco for those who dislike overly-sweet aros. While I cannot detect any Latakia, I'm sure it's providing some of the structure to the full taste.

edit: considering the number of positive comments I've gotten, I've upgraded the room note to 'very pleasant' -- of course, it might be in relation to what people feel about other tobaccos I've smoked around them!
Dec 01, 2011 Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant
In a head-to-head smoke-off, SG's Chocolate Flake easily beats Bob's Chocolate Flake from the cross town competition. There is enough Virginia to give this flake substance. The Latakia is undetectable. And the flavoring is so mild, it is easy to forget that this is a light-aromatic.

It comes wet in the tin and needs a long period of drying to make it smokeable. Closer to chocolate than the competition, the flavoring is more reminiscent of Kendall Cream Flake.
Nov 13, 2011 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
Maybe I was expecting too much of this blend when reading all the praises below me here. I just could not really taste anything that was very good to me. I see, as with other SG blends I have tried that the tobacco used is of the highest order. This one is just not for me. I recommend that this is worth the try when it is available. It is just not a blend that does anything for me. YMMV.
Sep 30, 2011 Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant
Objective: Very wet flakes. Flakes not uniform in size, results in uneven burn. Difficult, but not impossible to break up. Hard to light and stay lit even after drying very well. Only a slight to moderate amount of smoke produced. Hard to find online and at local B&Ms. Can be quite expensive.

Subjective: I like the flavor very much, but considering it is such a pain to keep lit and does not produce a great amount of smoke, I will pass on this flake.
May 26, 2011 Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable
Can't help thinking I am going to damn this tobacco with faint praise, but I really did find it a little underwhelming.

This is one of SG's flakes that has a smidgeon of Latakia, but not really enough to be considered 'The Full English'. The other one is Navy Flake, which is topped with rum rather than cocoa. That one has no Burley component and more Latakia (to my tastebuds); I like it much better than this.

Upon lighting there is a distinct cocoa flavouring, but I didn't find it all that wonderful, and once it fades you are left with...not a lot.

This was always a bit of an experiment for me. Nowadays I prefer stronger baccy, so a blend that doesn't have a pretty healthy dose of Vit N has to be something really special to get me excited. This one doesn't do it, although I will still give the GH&Co Bob's Chocolate Flake a try before I give up on this style of baccy altogether.

As with all SG blends, the actual quality of the tobacco is top notch, but I won't buy it again. I can see that it could be a good choice for someone who likes cocoa and hasn't become accustomed to the heartier blends out there, so it gets two stars.
Apr 23, 2011 Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
If you want to do something and smoke simultaneously - this is your tobacco - good cool burning,do not need special treatment or attention. It's a just MILD smoking in all respects of the process. One star less for the mediocrity
Dec 16, 2010 Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable
best brown with sutle hint of cocao witha dash of latikia. mmm mm this one tastes good too.

target="_blank"