As soon as you open this tin you will find something quite unusual. Hand-spun Curly Cut the size of a penny. The natural, rich, full flavour comes from the composition of selecting only the finest tobacco grades blended with four generations of tobacco experience.

BrandQuintessence
ContentsPerique, Virginia
CutCurly Cut
Strength
Taste
Mild, Medium to Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (30047)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Giving this now gone blend a quick review should anyone be wondering.

I opened a long stored tin and was greeted with the sight of sugar sprinkled discs, medium coloured with a dark centre. It's been a few years since I've smoked these, but I'd call this blend a near copy of Mac Baren's Roll Cake or maybe Dark Twist. Same presentation, same tin aroma (making allowances for tin age and memory) and same tangy sweetness in the pipe.

A nice smoke but I don't weep for its passing. I give it a two star rating instead of three because, given its likeness to a Mac Baren blend, it may be a biter; although I didn't have that problem.

So, should a tin or two come up on Ebay, or turn up at a swap meet, this should help somewhat.

Elk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elk (8)

I believe my tin was from the late 90s and any tin that shows up now will be well aged as well since this has been out of production for a bit.

The discs are all black with a few brown flecks here and there and what could be middle stem pieces of Virginia or what I believe to be burley. The smell is singular now and of old musty fermented tobacco and a touch of sweetness.

The taste is very tangy, sweet, citrus, musty and a hint of dark fruit and it is somewhat bold. There is also a nice tingle of spice from the perique. To me this is very close in taste to Motzek Strang and and another reason I think a little burley is in here. It seems to have a medium nic hit and burns consistent and clean to the bottom. Great stuff and a shame its not around anymore as it's in a somewhat unique category. If you can find it I feel it is worth it.

Pipe Used: Various Briars

Age When Smoked: 20+

Purchased From: Pipestud

Similar Blends: Motzek Strang Curly.