McClelland Frog Morton Across the Pond

(2.85)
Remarkably cool-smoking, delightfully fragrant. Frog Morton journeyed far across the pond to find the exotic components for this rich, smooth pipe tobacco blend enhanced with rare Syrian Latakia. He says it was worth the trip.
Notes: The name Frog Morton comes to us from the works of JRR Tolkien. Frogmorton: A village in the Eastfarthing of the Shire. It stood on the East Road, between the Three-farthing Stone (fourteen miles to the west) and the Brandywine Bridge (twenty-two miles to the east). Immediately to the north of the village, the stream known as the Water broke into two, creating a wide watery region - this feature seems to have given Frog Morton its name, which means "frog marsh".

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.85 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 63 Reviews
Oct 27, 2013 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This is a bit less "vinegary" than the original Frog Morton. It's slightly stronger and more complex than FM, too, mostly due to the difference in latakia and addition of the Orientals, which offers some wood and spice. As they use Syrian latakia, this is smokier, dryer and a little more woodsy in taste than it would be if Cyprian was used. The dark fruit and citrus Virginia forms the base of the blend, and also offers a little grass and earth. The nic-hit is just past the mild level. Needs some drying time as does all the Frog blends, but it burns pretty decently at a moderate rate, though it leaves a little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. The flavor is consistent from top to bottom. Won't bite, and has no dull or harsh spots. The after taste lingers just a little.

-JimInks
Jan 04, 2014 Mild Mild Mild Pleasant
By far and away to me the most compelling of all the Frog Morton flavors. For the most part this is a simple straight-forward lightly nuanced Latakia mixture and it’s quite mild, even by McClelland’s standards. However, it’s the Latakia in this one that makes it so special and sets it apart from the other FM blends.

I swear this is On the Town with the Cyprian Lat replaced by McClelland’s Syrian and perhaps a few adjustments made to compensate for the change. I say this, because the two mixtures have some very similar traits. Altogether, this smokes soft and sweet, but it has a beautiful wine-like bottom note provided by the Syrian that adds a whole other layer of complexity. I also find this to be a touch more smoky than other Frog flavors but the smokiness is nicely balanced by McClelland’s classic sweet fermented Virginia along with the toasty marshmallow like flavor that I found in FM on the Town. It's truly a wonderful combination of quality tobaccos.

This is a great anytime mixture and I will surely be putting a few tins of this away.
Age When Smoked: 4
Oct 27, 2004 Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
This is far and away my favorite of the Froggie series. The Syrian Latakia is layered delicately throughout the ribbon cut Virginia and Oriental leaves and this makes for a mildly sweet yet well balanced smoke. Not much power here, but certainly a fun puff for times when gentleness in your Latakia fix is desired.
Oct 18, 2007 Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant
FMATP has a light, patent McClelland "ketchup" tin aroma over a light English base. It has a sweet spice fragrance of smoke and raisins. The tin aroma is much sweeter and fragrant than FM. FMATP has a fruity aromatic black cavendish casing, making it an aromatic English blend; an outstanding aromatic to English crossover blend.

It's a very mild blend that is a break from heavier Latakia blends and for those who don't like blends like Dunhill's My Mixture 965 because its's too heady and robust.

Thick, wide, rough-cut ribbon which is sticky when new. Using fingertip concentrations and gravity makes it easy to pack. The brown predominates the black tobacco.

Using new tobacco, it leaves moisture in the pipe, with gurgle in the bowl. Something in the FM series keeps the Frogs from drying out-left uncovered, it doesn't dry quickly. When allowed to dry, it filled the room with that "ketchup-clove" smell. This was done for several hours and it became fairly, maybe half, dry, and still required a bit of frantic puffing to keep it lit. That way, the tobacco tended to burn all the way to the bottom with one relight.

FMATP is a "remarkably cool-smoking" tobacco that non-smokers would not find much to object to. It does not have a strong taste or aroma. Is this a Latakia blend? Where's the Latakia? There is a touch of sweet, creamy, light-brown Syrian Latakia with black stoved VA.

There is an initial sweetness of cavendish, then a smokey spiciness of Syrian Latakia mid-bowl, but not a lot of this taste or aroma. It has such a sweet taste, it may have been sweetened, with the Latakia providing a nice, low, smokey effect. It is much sweeter than FM.

FMATP has a rather sweet, carmel taste and aroma, tempered with soft, smokey Syrian Latakia.

There is not much to the room note, leaving a subtle woodsy and sweet raisin scent. The mildness would indeed make it an everyday smoke.

The nicotine content is low, and like FM, I got little tongue bite, but rather mild lip scour.
Dec 27, 2014 Medium Mild Medium Tolerable
This is the first pipe tobacco blend I ever smoked. At the time, I remember being overwhelmed by the smokiness of it. Now that I've smoked multiple tins over the years, and my palate has adjusted, I am struck by how very sweet it is.

On first light, it's the sweetness that jumps out to me. As the bowl develops, the Latakia becomes more of a presence. I wouldn't consider this to be a showcase for Syrian Latakia by any stretch, but it is very tasty.

Compared to big Latakia bombs, tangy VAs, and fruity VA/Pers, this blend might seem a little flat, but I love it. It's probably the heavy dose of nostalgia that I add to every bowl.
Pipe Used: Mostly in an Italian briar dedicated to this blend
Age When Smoked: 4 years old, on average
Jul 23, 2014 Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant
My tin's about two years old now and has aged beautifully. The wet-and-fruity Virginias have mellowed, and the overall blend is drier and burns better. (I give most McClelland blends plenty of drying time, especially when new; exposing a bowl's worth to air for a day or two seems to do it.)

As other reviewers have observed, this is a mild English and pretty light in terms of nicotine. The Latakia is subtle, but the flavor profile is still wonderful. Slightly smoky, slightly sweet, and really well rounded. Most of the Frogs would be a good intro to English blends, and this one's no exception. (On the Bayou is the exception, imo, given its healthy slug of perique.) On the Town is still my favorite of the FM lineup, but this one deserves at least three stars.
Dec 06, 2014 Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant
Frog Morton jumped away from me and into the pond, never to truly be seen again. I found this to be a light English, which for many is exactly what they want. The aroma was very pleasing, but I didn't get the mouth-feel I enjoy in a medium or stronger English. This also didn't seem as full bodied as I like. What I will usually do if I want a lighter smoke is sip more gently on a stronger blend and if more oomph is desired then I increase my puffing cadence so I can get the best of both worlds from one tobacco. This tactic didn't really work with FM for me, so for those who feel this is a blend that suits them well then that is great...it certainly is made well and its constitution is of fine tobaccos, it just wasn't quite what I look for. Otherwise, it did smell nice in tin, was of good humidity, the bowls fragrance was nice, it loaded easily, burned reasonable well and produced a moderate amount of smoke...important factors for any tobacco in my opinion. A good blend, light, but good. MCBY
Nov 06, 2016 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
This is an interesting entry in the Frog Morton line. For one, it's the only one with Syrian Latakia, and this will play a major role of how this works, yet the role is played from the shadows. Then there is the show of the Ketchup taste and aroma..There isn't a more elaborate way to describe it, a mix between sweetness and sourness with a bit of earthiness all around. It is fairly dominant and consistent throughout the smoke. With just a little hint of caramel sweetness every now and then, and just a pinch of mild smokiness from the Latakia, that provides more smoke than smokiness in the taste profile. My tin came at perfect moisture and It packs well, get lit with a bit of work and for the most part stays lit. Stays consistent throughout the bowl both in aroma and flavour without any bite at all or harsh spots. Burns down to the end leaving little to no dottle, yet it leaves a bit of footprint in the bowl smell. But so far that didn't interrupt other blends in the same pipe. It is a nice one that I will savour, and maybe add to my rotation as a delicacy.
Pipe Used: Peterson Derry B27
PurchasedFrom: smokingpipes.com
Age When Smoked: Fresh Tin
Oct 24, 2011 Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant
McClelland's “Frog Morton - Across the Pond” is a sweet, spicy blend of pipe tobacco. The sweetness come from the Virginia tobacco. The spiciness comes from the Syrian and Oriental tobaccos. There were no aromatic additives. The flavor was delicious.

However, I gave it three stars instead of four because it was too lightweight. The sweet and spicy flavor was medium in strength, but there wasn't much body to the flavor beyond that. Also, the nicotine was weak. Also, I often had to relight the tobacco. I smoked a third of a 50 gram tin.

Then I blended the remainder with an equal amount of a medium English blend. The result was much more satisfying. The sweetness and spiciness still was present, but the English blend gave it more strength of flavor and more vitamin N -- and it stayed lit.

My recommendation: Try it if you want to taste a sweet and spicy blend. You might find it a bit light, though, and you might prefer to blend it with an English blend.

-- J.G., 24 October 2011
Apr 28, 2011 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Warning: review based on a two-bowl sample, by a man who has tried about 150 pipe tobaccos, but has never before this tried a single one of the "Frog" blends, and who thinks it's pretty nice, but probably wouldn't buy any of them based on this unless he could get a sweet deal on an aged tin...

Quality leaf, well-blended. Rich with stoved Virginia, Orientals, and Syrian Latakia. (And so this is Syrian Latakia? How much?) Yes, a well-made mild English blend. What I usually say (and practice) with Latakia is that I like just a touch, or a mainline. Not the middle. But then, the application here seems to me from the small amount I smoked to be pretty light, so what gives? I can't bring myself to give it two stars. I think there is also this thing with me where I don't usually like highly stoved Virginia, with some exceptions from time to time. It's good, but I actually prefer those McClellands that scream "vinegar!" when you pop the lid and are sharp on your tongue. I can see how these blends could have become so famous, but for someone else, I'm afraid. Maybe I will give another one a chance someday.

target="_blank"