McClelland Frog Morton Across the Pond

(2.85)
Remarkably cool-smoking, delightfully fragrant. Frog Morton journeyed far across the pond to find the exotic components for this rich, smooth pipe tobacco blend enhanced with rare Syrian Latakia. He says it was worth the trip.
Notes: The name Frog Morton comes to us from the works of JRR Tolkien. Frogmorton: A village in the Eastfarthing of the Shire. It stood on the East Road, between the Three-farthing Stone (fourteen miles to the west) and the Brandywine Bridge (twenty-two miles to the east). Immediately to the north of the village, the stream known as the Water broke into two, creating a wide watery region - this feature seems to have given Frog Morton its name, which means "frog marsh".

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.85 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 51 - 60 of 156 Reviews
Jul 30, 2013 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
Wow! I really like this. This has the perfect amount of latakia and the tobacco is of such high quality. It burns smoothly, cooly and completely. This is about as perfect as pipe tobacco can get.
Jun 20, 2013 Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
The Latakia in this blend is definitley the dominant flavor. Very fragrant, maybe a bit spicy, but smooth and cool when smoked slowly. On a few different occasions, I was able to smoke a bowl of this in my giant Savinelli with no relights.
May 16, 2013 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
More subtle that the cyprian in the regular FM, the syrian latakia in this adds an almost herbal/incense like flavor profile. It is cloying enough to want to puff it fast, but slow sips are more well advised, as the flavors really come out with a cooler temperature.

Try all the frogs and make your own decisions, but this one and the original FM have a place in my cellar.
Jan 30, 2013 Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
I'll echo what SmoothingIt had to say: Nothing objectionable about this blend, but just too bland for me. I like FM, really like FMOTB, but FMATP is my least favorite Frog.

Two stars.
Dec 09, 2012 Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable
If you have just switched over from aromatics (if you haven't switched yet, you will), this may be a decent smoke for you. It is very tame for lack of a better word. Very little flavor, very little taste, somewhat bland. However, this may prove beneficial to someone not quite ready for a full bodied tobacco.

For someone wishing for a tobacco that is complex, full of varying flavors from start to finish, with a bit of a nicotine kick, this is not a good choice.

It did burn well from charring light to dottle. However, there is little else positive that I can say about this smoke.
Dec 08, 2011 Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable
Well, the reason I have tasted this blend is that I made up my mind to try all the 4 Frog Morton bliens.

The Frog Morton Across the Pond is less enjoyable as the Frog Morton. Somewhat recommended if you are not smoking this for the tin.
Sep 08, 2011 Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
Since this is my first review please be kind. I tried FMATP from the reviews off this site and by my local tobacco shop owner. I must say this is a fine blend, but it isnt the English blend that I'm looking for. I found that the Va in this mixture was very much up front and on the sweet side. I did'nt really catch the Latakia until I got about half-way thru then it starts to peak thru and get alittle spicy but just did'nt have what I was looking for. So after one tin I will say good bye to FMATP. On the plus side if your looking for an English that has a nice room note this is a good blend for smoking around other people, I have had no complaints from non-smokers. Some even enjoyed the smell.
Sep 02, 2011 Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I like this better ( or maybe I don't?)than Frog Morton, mainly because it doesn't have as much Vanilla topping. That said, it still has many of the poor properties of FM. , hard to light and keep lit, low "N" and fairly bland blend. Some might say balanced, but what flavors are initially there, fade into a none developing bowl. The latakia is the main player but there is NO sweetness , actually bitter and just a touch of Orientals Hold one second while I relight this bowl for the fifth time !!! This tobacco doesn't bite, however because I have to relight so many times it is hard on the tongue anyway. There are so many better tobaccos, why smoke this?

updated 7/23/12- I just tried this and McC Ringlow Syrian Res., RSR is smoother and more flavorful , but I only rate that at 2 1/2 stars. Will not buy this again
Aug 07, 2011 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Tin opens to the aroma of McClelland's aged Virginias (ketchup). Then the Syrian Latakia chimes in with it's delicious leathery smokiness. A whiff of Oriental leaf is subdued but adds fresh, sweet, scents of sea air and spice. Virginia provides a parade of edible baked scents, grains, curing hay, and molasses sweetness.

Breeze to pack and light. Nice consistent burn.

Soft, warm, sweetness from the delicious Virginia. The Syrian is like distant smoke, but still brings it's sharp, leather & campfire nature. Very light, salty and sweet Orientals. All the flavors swirl into a rounded, cohesive balance. Seems to have a little more of the McClelland “Aged Virginia” nature than is obvious in the other Frogs.

I enjoyed this stuff. Sweet, sharp and tasty. Maybe not the best of the Frog Morton series, but I can't find any real fault here. Becomes richer as the smoke progresses, second half of the bowl loses a lot of the influence of the condiment tobaccos and becomes more like a McClelland Virginia flake in character. (Unlike the other Frog Morton blends I've tried, this one can bite a little if hurried.)

I'd gladly buy another tin of this, but maybe not an all-time favorite. 3½ Stars.
Jul 27, 2011 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Not as sweet as On the Town, but a sure bet nonetheless.

Aroma definitely reeks of McClelland Va's, and the smokiness of the Syrian Latakia blends perfect to cut the sharpness of it. I could see one smoking this all day long, without tiring. a great blend to relax with. I enjoy a bowl full laying in the hammock reading a chapter of Sherlock Holmes.

target="_blank"