McClelland Frog Morton Across the Pond

(2.85)
Remarkably cool-smoking, delightfully fragrant. Frog Morton journeyed far across the pond to find the exotic components for this rich, smooth pipe tobacco blend enhanced with rare Syrian Latakia. He says it was worth the trip.
Notes: The name Frog Morton comes to us from the works of JRR Tolkien. Frogmorton: A village in the Eastfarthing of the Shire. It stood on the East Road, between the Three-farthing Stone (fourteen miles to the west) and the Brandywine Bridge (twenty-two miles to the east). Immediately to the north of the village, the stream known as the Water broke into two, creating a wide watery region - this feature seems to have given Frog Morton its name, which means "frog marsh".

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.85 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 41 - 50 of 156 Reviews
Jul 14, 2015 Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable
Meh. Something about this is off. Based on other reviews here, I think it may be due to the syrian, but I don't like it regardless. There's a weird sweetness that bothers me more than any aro I've ever tried. Not to mention it seems wet and goopy no matter how long I dry it out. All that being said - it's an easy and safe smoke, so I've found myself reaching for it more often than I expected. I still wouldn't recommend it knowing how much more I liked FMOTT.
PurchasedFrom: Smoke & Ale; Nashville, Tennessee
Jul 10, 2015 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I can taste the Orientals clearly, the Latakia faintly, and the Virginias....not at all. There just isn't much here to hang my hat on. Tried it in both briar and cob and the only difference was that the Orientals were even more dominant in the cob. The only good news is that the Orientals are fairly decent and that saves this from being a one star blend.

Mild to medium in body and flavor. Burns very well straight from the tin.
Pipe Used: Stanwell 54, MM Country Gentleman
PurchasedFrom: smokingpipes.com
Dec 13, 2014 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
This was a one-time can for me. Well made, as many have stated, but too wimpy for my taste. I'm not into adding this, or that, to a product. In this case, there are SO MANY fine English blends to choose from.
Pipe Used: Peterson, il ceppo, Radice, other Briars
PurchasedFrom: P & C, on net
Age When Smoked: can dated 2013
Sep 27, 2014 Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant
I love this blend. I find it to have little to know bite, a very pleasant flavor, and a good to very good room note. I am not sure why this gets a bad wrap. I have very much enjoyed this smoke, especially as an evening smoke around the fire pit. It burns cool and consistently and doesn't develop a harsh taste as you get to the bottom of the bowl. This blend is in my top 3 in the non aromatic category. I highly recommend it especially if you are looking for something that doesn't have a bite to it.
Pipe Used: JM Boswell, Mario Grandi, Savinelli
PurchasedFrom: SmokingPipes.com
Sep 01, 2014 Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant
It's good tobacco, but too pedestrian. Not enough strength or Latakia to keep my interest. I found it to really dry my mouth. I'll smoke the rest of the tin, probably add some Latakia & Perique, but won't be purchasing more of this.
Pipe Used: Cob Meer
PurchasedFrom: P&C
Age When Smoked: fresh & 3 months
Aug 19, 2014 Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable
Being that im new to european style blends, I couldnt place the flavors in this one. The earlier reviews saying that the flavor was toasty are pretty close. It was almost "earthy" at times. Its different from my usual aromatics but I like it.
Pipe Used: MM Corncob
PurchasedFrom: The humidor, Huntsville, AL
Age When Smoked: 2 days
Jul 25, 2014 Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant
I don't know what they were trying to do here but everything is balanced that no real flavor comes through. Needs either more orientals or latakia.
Jun 11, 2014 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Dark brown and black, fairly broad cut. Smell: leather. Milder than FM, and somewhat more monochromatic, which is why I'm withholding the fourth star, but a pleasant smoke. Medium-bodied, quite dry.
Pipe Used: Small bent billiard of unknown make.
PurchasedFrom: 4noggins
Age When Smoked: three months.
Dec 07, 2013 Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
This blend is way too mild. It doesn't taste like tobacco, and I just don't enjoy smoking it. McClelland has better english blends to choose from (Three Oaks Syrian for example). This blend is a joke.
PurchasedFrom: smokingpipes.com
Age When Smoked: 6 Months
Oct 26, 2013 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
light English blend not a huge amount of flavor if you like McClelland English blends (I don't) check it out

target="_blank"