Aromatic smoking mixture. The finest imported and domestic tobaccos blended for flavorful satisfaction.

Notes: Previously made by Fleming Hall.

BrandAmerican Tobacco Co
Manufactured ByAmerican Tobacco Co.
ContentsBurley, Cavendish
Packaging50 grams pouch
Strength
Taste
Extremely Mild (Flat), Very Mild, Mild, Mild to Medium
1.3
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Hey, I think I'm in a flower shop! I can see why this one no longer exists. I have smoked many a nondescript tobacco in my day and this is one of them. It does the job of filling the bowl, but the bland, floral flavoring added to mediocre Burley that gets bitter as the dickens as you work your way down the bowl, well, it did nothing for me. I got this pouch on eBay a few years ago and just got around to trying it. I seldom dump my pipe weed after consuming less than a full bowl. This was one of those times. Did you hear my toilet flush? Not even suitable for the trash can. On the positive side, this blend is perfectly named!

Pipestud

Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

The nutty, woody, earthy, toasty burley has little sweetness and is the main component. The Virginia cavendish offers a little grass and citrus. The fragrant, perfumey, floral and lightly soapy rose topping has some strength and sublimates the tobaccos a bit. The strength and nic-hit are mild. the taste is just past the mild level. Won’t bite. Burns a little warm with a consistent sweet and very savory flavor that translates to the after taste. Leaves little moisture in the bowl and needs an average number of relights. Can be an all day smoke. Recommended only for those who fit this flavor profile. Otherwise, it is a one star blend because the components lack quality.

-JimInks

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (28795)
Medium Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

I thought that Dunhill's Royal Yacht was bad until I tried this. Bowl of Roses is flat out the ultimate in bad tobacco IMO. This stuff is so bad that I laugh to myself whenever I remember trying it. The aroma is perfumey, the taste is bitter and the only good thing I can say about it is that it burned quickly for me so that I was able to get the session over with in a hurry. Pipe size and shape didn't seem to matter either.

Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

You may have seen the advertising for this in many an older magazine, etc. This is for the original Fleming Hall production, which I believe sold it to American in the early-to-mid 1960s. I've no idea how old this box was, but it was the old-style cardboard box with the tobacco loose inside, and many (most?) other tobaccos had switched over to foil pouches before then. The Burley & Cavendish blend was in the 'fish-food' style (which can be fast-burning, which this is), and needed a lot of rehydration. It didn't seem to affect the rose flavor much (I hope), as it was still at about the level of Grasmere Flake which has been jarred for a year or so. While I'm glad I was able to try it, I don't miss it. Those who like the flavoring of Grasmere but think the tobaccos are too strong might have loved this. Pretty ads, though!

Pipe Used: cobs, meers, and briars

Age When Smoked: 54+