G. L. Pease Kensington

(3.18)
Kensington is a Balkan style blend with restraint. Bright and red Virginias are combined with richly flavoured leaf from the Orient and Cyprian Latakia in perfect measure for a wonderfully balanced smoke. Slightly sweeter than Charing Cross, and not quite as full due to a more delicate hand with the Latakia. Spicy, with an occasional suggestion of orange blossom. Complex, but never ponderous. A slightly lighter variant of the classic style.
Notes: Kensington was released in March, 2003.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.18 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 13 Reviews
Mar 30, 2015 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
The Virginias are citrus sweet with some earth and grass, and minor tangy, dark fruit notes. They provide a base for the other components. The Cyprian latakia is smoky, woody, earthy, and sweet, and mostly plays second fiddle to the Orientals, which are smoky, woody, earthy, dry with a fair amount of spice, and a bit of floralness. The strength is a couple of steps past the center of mild to medium. The taste is medium. Has a mild nic-hit. Burns cool and clean at a moderate rate with a consistent flavor, and no issues besides needing a few relights, and a couple of dull spots near the finish. Leaves just a little moisture in the bowl. Won't bite, but has a few rough edges. Has a decent after taste. Not quite an all day smoke. Two and a half stars.

-JimInks
Feb 06, 2009 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable
Gosh I hate to say it, but I was quite disappointed in this blend. The first thing that struck me when I opened the tin was the near total lack of pungency and earthy smell of high quality pipe tobacco. That is to say, the smokey latakia that most of us are familar with was very feint and almost non-existent. In fact, this blend is by far the least pungent of any pipe tobacco I have ever tried. Remember, smell has everything to do with perceived taste.

The cut of this blend was very rough and - almost chunky like. Many very lightly colored Virginias with a small quantity of darker leaves. There are so many light tobacco leaves in this blend that it would make you believe that you are about to smoke something like a drug store variety. In fact, it even looks that way to me. It was very difficult to keep lit for some reason, even though I air dried it appropriately.

The latakia tastes very good, but at the same time you get this cigarette flavor along with it - reminiscent of licking the ashes out of an ashtray ( no , I haven't actually licked an ashtray mind you, but I think this is what it would most likely taste like ).

As noted by a previous reviewer, there is a tingly zesty sensation on the palate that isn't quite tongue bite - but it is definately not a wanted attribute.

Perhaps the Virginas are young. But I am unable to date the free sample that I got from C&D ( which is much appreciated ), as it came in a small zip-lock type bag.

In conclusion, I have tried my best to be impartial and without prejudice. Mr. Pease cannot be perfect all the time, and unfortunately, I feel this is one of his least desirable blends. I give this blend 2 stars only because the latakia is of good quality.

Mr. Pease, you can please some of the people some of the time. But you cannot please all the people all of the time. I hope that you are not personally offended.
May 09, 2011 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I'm a big fan of medium English blends. A few puffs after the charing light, Kensington brings the Orientals and the blend quickly develops into a nice medium blend. I have two issues with the blend. The first being that it can be a bit sharp. Too many of GL Pease blends simply seem to young for my taste. The second issue is the cut. I find that it isn't the easiest cut to work with and needs to be rubbed out. I was able to get my hands on a four year old tin and it was simply terrific. Kensington maintained its spicyness while bringing a sweet, smooth, more full tasting blend to the palate. Fans of Pease English tobacco's should give this one a try. Personally, I'm seeking some aged tins. Two and a half stars.
Apr 30, 2010 Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable
I did not find this to be a well-balanced blend. Good flavor, good burning qualities, but the various elements of the smoke experience come too strongly to the forefront on occasion, to the extent it is distraction. Samarra takes it over this blend all day long. Kensington also lacks smoothness and has a tendency to occasionally spike up and bite. This will not work its way into my rotation.
awt
Oct 22, 2020 Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant
Will this be my holy grail? Will it stop all the fun searching for the perfect tobacco? Right strength, sweet to the right point, latakia as it used to be ,read Balkan Sobranie, beautiful at the opening, burns well and so on and so forth. The strength missing in Piccadilly, the sweetness I wished in abingdon ... Definitely a real 4 stars. Peace of mind?

Update 2021 some years later. I slowly abandoning GLP as have discovered the beauty of traditional English mixtures and flakes. Still must admit that GLP tobaccos are close but not the real McCoy. Switched without regrets to Squadron Leader and Skiff .
Pipe Used: Dunhill 1 and 2
PurchasedFrom: CH
Age When Smoked: 2019
Jan 13, 2011 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
I agree with Marshall Law's review below. This one seemed a bit harsh to me, especially in comparison with other Pease blends such as Chelsea Morning or Charing Cross that offer a creamy sort of smoke. I do like the spicy orientals in this blend, but there's something less than smooth about them. Similar, I thought, to Pease's Ashbury, but not as citrusy, smooth, or balanced overall.
Oct 20, 2018 Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
This is an oriental forward Balkan. The Latakia is just present. The red Virginia from my tin seems to add, with the orienttals, a pervasive soundness the pervades every corner of the blend. While the Latakia adds smoky smoothness, the immaturity of the Red Virginia does nothing to improve the blend. As someone that likes Virginia/oriental blends. I award one star with the hope that 2 or so years of age will bring a better blend of flavors and smoothing of the rough edges. I do intend to smoke with a different pipe to see if that improves things as my rating is an outlier from most of the ratings I have given other GL Pease blends. EDIT: I smoke the blend with a Savinelli Signature 5 Liverpool. Much of the harsh note disappeared. The Latakia rounded out the flavor enough to warrant 2.5 stars, with additional aging it would be a solid 3 star, maybe more.
Pipe Used: Cayuga billiard
PurchasedFrom: Indian River Tobacco Traders Grand Rapids Michigan
Jan 31, 2013 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
I find this a hard blend to describe. I can't say any real negative things, and there really is a lot to like, but it seems to be so dependent on the pipe and time of the day smoked. For me, this just doesn't bring anything memorable to the "party' . I'll smoke this and the next day I'll be asking " what was that Like". I don't want to say this is boring, as there are many points of interest, I just can't remember them !!!! I won't buy again , and won't remember why !

I didn't get the "suggestion of orange blossom", whatever smoking an Orange Blossom is like ?!!
MDP
Feb 13, 2010 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong
Kensington smells wonderful in the tin and burns like a premium tobacco should, but we find ourselves incompatible. It bites me from the first to last puff, regardless of careful counter measures. It is also more bitter than I prefer.
Dec 27, 2008 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
This is very dry tobacco... And to mild with Oriental/Balkan tobacco. I expected more of this blend - it is not even close to quality of Westminster.

target="_blank"