Super Value Cherry Cavendish

(1.76)
Super Value Cherry Cavendish is a bite-free blend of tobaccos with a sweet, zesty top note of cherry. Though a pungent Cherry aroma is present, it is mild to smoke and its fantastic room note of this blend is sure to garner compliments.
Notes: Dream Castle/Super Value pipe tobaccos are manufactured by Sutliff Tobacco Company.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

1.76 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 11 of 29 Reviews
Nov 28, 2019 Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable
New pipe smoker here. Keep in mind as you read this that I firmly believe that the best tobacco is the tobacco that YOU like.

I did not find this blend very pleasant to smoke. It smelled good out of the pouch. This was the tobacco I purchased along with my first pipe, so I bought the cheapest that the store had to offer. I may try other Super Value blends but not this one.
Pipe Used: Corncob, briar
PurchasedFrom: Brick and mortar smoke shop, Robbinsdale, MN, USA
Jan 03, 2014 Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant
The cherry taste is decent, but slightly artificial. You get very little tobacco flavor here, out of some toast from the cavendish, a hint of sugar from the black cavendish, and a slight nuttiness from the burley. It takes forever to dry it out due to the high level of PG. Won't bite or get harsh. Moist, it burns slow and wet and leaves too much moisture and some goop. I suggest a bit of dry time first. Needs relights. Has no nicotine to speak of. The after taste is okay, and the room note is very pleasant.

-JimInks
Nov 14, 2009 Mild Very Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable
Fortunately, got this as a free sample from pipesandcigars. While I can't put down the tobaccos in this blend, it is drenched in glycol and WILL NOT DRY OUT. I tried to dry it for 3 solid days on a large cookie sheet and it never lost any of it's stickiness. It is super sticky goopy and makes me super glad that I don't inhale pipe tobacco smoke; but, because of this, I refuse to smoke it more than the once I used to formulate this review. Also, such additives to tobacco scare the daylights out of me health-wise.

Because if the stickiness, not sure if I packed it properly. However, it lit up OK and burned without much fuss. The Cherry flavor that was obvious from the pouch never came through in the smoking, either in the taste or the slipstream. BORING! Started getting gurgly after the half way mark and something wet and bitter came out of the pipe stem on to my tongue. That was enough for me and I gave up.

The only plus I can find for this blend is that it is mild, smokes cool and doesn't bite. Wish I could rate it a zero!
Oct 01, 2009 Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant
The smell is quite nice, very moist however. I thought the taste was alright. Not the best tobacco i have ever tasted, i found that if it is packed lightly the taste of the cherries and tobacco comes out more. If packed a little tighter, the cherry taste isn't really there. Its good on a budget, that's about it really.

(Addition), ok I've sparingly used this stuff since i bought it, which was 4 months ago,(about the same time i wrote the review). Then i just started back up, due to a lack of funds and i have actually used it to blend with other tobaccos, not good ones, just capt. black, white and gold. it makes a way more complex taste, i don't add that much at all, because if there is too much, it tastes even more horrible.
Mar 24, 2019 Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant
Super Value - Cherry Cavendish.

My aromatic for last Sunday was Super Value Bourbon Whiskey, which I found quite impressive. Sadly, the same doesn't apply to this.

Although listed as being a ribbon, it isn't. In fact, Cherry Cavendish is as rather coarse mixture. Mine's mostly brown, with a few light pieces, but quite redundant of many black pieces. The aroma from it say's 'I'm quite heavily cased with cherries!'. My moisture looked good.

So, how's the smoke? Two words: Oh Dear. The tobaccos give a boring Cavendish and Burley smoke, with hardly any black Cav'. Being fair, the tobaccos aren't exactly pernicious, the topping fills this position; the cherry flavour tastes way too sharp, tart, bitter, acidic, ruining it. The nastiness doesn't end there, no, it burns too hot, and bites like a mad dog.

Nicotine: a jot above mild. Room-note: not bad.

Cherry Cavendish? I found Super Value's Bourbon Whiskey, last week, as good as any in that genre. But, I find this one of the worst cherry aromatics I've smoked. Not recommended:

One star.
Pipe Used: Neerup Gr 2 Bent Chubby Dublin
Age When Smoked: One month
Feb 15, 2012 Overwhelming Extremely Mild Overwhelming Pleasant
I eyed this 1.5 oz pouch of baccy for quite awhile because I had never tried a cherry before. To spite my better judgement of buying anything with the brand name of "Super Value" I decided to go ahead an try it. The package note was VERY pleasant and even made my mouth water.

Upon opening, I immediately noticed that it was extremely wet. I stuffed a little in my bowl, { the wetness made that difficult to pack } and lit it up { well..... sorta } It was so moist that I couldn't even get it to burn. The little bit of taste I did get out of it was horrible. I'll not smoke it again. It now sits atop my dashboard over the heater vents where it makes for a nice air freshener.

DO NOT buy.
Nov 17, 2009 Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable
Bought a bag of this stuff and once I got it out of the bag I wasn't sure at first that the tobacco itself didn't come plastic coated. There was actually a sheen to it and it didn't even look like tobacco anymore. Unlike the Rum Cured version I can't even use this for blending in it's current state.

The smell in the bag wasn't bad. Setting it on fire however seems to destroy any taste. There was only a hint of cherry in the bowl and that dissapeared quickly. I had to relight it several times. DON'T SMOKE THIS IN A GOOD PIPE! If you must try it get yourself a cob.

With the massive amount of additive in this tobacco I doubt it will dry out in the next six years. People who like this stuff haven't tried smoking pine bark yet.
Jan 01, 2009 Mild Mild Mild Pleasant
After smoking 10 bowls from the 12oz. bag I have updated my review...

The smell of cherry upon opening the bag is quite strong, but pleasant. Lightly flavored tobacco that smokes easily. The smell doesn't translate into taste. The cherry flavoring is there, but is extremely light and disappears by the last 1/3rd of the bowl where it takes on an almost cigarette ash consistency/taste to it. Good? Not really. Marginally adequate if you really want to smoke something. Pass.
Sep 04, 2014 Mild Mild Mild Pleasant
The properties of this tobacco were very basic to me and not one property really stuck out which is not necessarily a bad thing either. Overall it was nice but I do not forsee me purchasing any more of this blend as I prefer something with a bit more body. I opted "Somewhat Recommend" because this may be enjoyable to others or someone looking for something neutral just starting out or as a cheap standby smoke.
Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Omega (Briar)
PurchasedFrom: J&R Cigar; Selma NC, USA; www.jrcigars.com
Age When Smoked: 2 weeks out of bag
Jan 16, 2014 Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant
This was the first tobacco I ever smoked, I picked up a large bag with my original pipe and found it to be actually pretty good, the cherry flavour was in there but it wasnt too sweet and I didnt get the propylene glycol feeling yet im sure its in there. I also left part of it in a bag for almost a year and after aging I have to say it was even nicer than the original opening. with the first pipe as well as the last, I got nothing but complements for the scent it left on me and on the area I smoked in, a few lasses even told me that I should use a pipe in the morning instead of cologne.
Pipe Used: meerschaum; Wood
Age When Smoked: Out of bag, as well as 10 months later.
Mar 28, 2003 Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant
I have concluded that Super Value is the most overlooked drugstore brand on the market. Surprisingly, this well-balanced cavendish provided a smooth smoke and a clean cherry flavor. The brown leaves are free of the "cough syrup casing" found in other inexpensive cherry blends. The result is a light cherry taste from a tobacco that won't leave a swamp in your heel and an inferno on your tongue. I recently smoked fully nine bowls of this in a single day and experienced negligable tongue-bite. Also a plus is an even and manageable burn that you can set your watch to. I found this one at a cigarette shop for less than the pack of Camels that I went in for. I'm glad that I took the time and the $2 to pop this cherry.

target="_blank"