Peterson Gold Blend

(2.68)
A subtle, delicate, mellow tobacco. A composition of jet black cavendish, bright and dark Virginias and fragrant burley. An extremely pleasant note of hickory nut, vanilla and a touch of cinnamon is added.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.68 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 41 - 50 of 60 Reviews
Dec 28, 2021 Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
I'm smoking a 10 year-old tin for the first time that I just bought at my local b&m. It compares favorably to Erinmore Flake and to Sunset Breeze. While the description doesn't include any fruit there are hints of mango or something like Erinmore which are definitely there. A mild pleasant light aromatic that is easy to enjoy. Smokes very nicely. I don't taste hickory, honey or any of the stuff the description claims.
Pipe Used: Cob
PurchasedFrom: B&M
Age When Smoked: 10 Years
Sep 19, 2011 Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable
I remeber enjoying this blend maybe something like last year. I have try it tonight and the experience wasn't exactly the same. On this more recent smoke I have taste a non-well balance aroma.

I have to tell you that the tobacco wasnt so fresh so I had to humidified it a little bit before I could pack my pipe with it.

The smell of the tobacco in the can was ok, but I was sad that this taste didn't reflect in the smoke. However I still think it's a good blend when You have nothing else near You.
Jul 27, 2011 Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant
This was my first tobacco. I loved it then, so decided to give it a try recently. I was quite disappointing. Needless to say, after smoking blends from C&D, Lane Limited, Peter Stockkabye, Peterson tins leave quite a bit to be desired. To weak, with far to much flavoring and casing.
May 12, 2011 Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant
My first and favorite tobacco. Once I learnt how to smoke a pipe it struck just the right spot to convert me. And that was before it had dried. Whilst still moist it did burn a bit too hot and had cases of tongue bite and tasted only of vanilla. But then after I let it dry and age a few weeks and fixed my technique, it changed like John Lydon after he left the Sex Pistols and formed Pil. The vanilla is still there, but in the background. it now tastes of honey, cinnamon, room note of fresh buttered bread. Still burns hot, but tolerably. Suits my churchwarden pipe very well. I'm going to stop smoking it for a while now, if I can stop myself. I want to let it age, bring out some sugars more and keep it for special occasions or sleepless nights. Good for beginners like me, or experienced smokers who want something that ages well.
Apr 18, 2011 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Excellent mix of Light Virginia, with Dark Burley, and a touch of even Darker Cavendish. A mild smoke with full tobacco flavor. Went through a 50g tin in no time. Definately worth keeping an extra tin around.
Apr 16, 2011 Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This is not Peterson's best aromatic. Unlike their worst aromatic (Sweet Killarney), the tin description on Gold Blend is pretty accurate as to the taste of this blend. It is sweet, and as you are smoking you can detect hints of vanilla, nuts, and nutmeg. Probably the most prominent flavor is cinnamon. I smoked this mainly in my Peterson bulldog and it smoked fine; no tongue bite or excessive moisture.

But it is not worth the price of the tin. It is not an unpleasant smoke, but not a real memorable one either. All the different flavors are present, but not in a rich, satisfying way that is characteristic of the great aromatics. I like aromatics; I've been smoking them for years. But this blend doesn't deserve all that much praise.
Jan 08, 2011 Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant
Peterson wins again. My search for a vanilla blend that actually tastes like vanilla, but doesn't smoke hot and wet, has come to an end. Gold blend is solid aromatic tobacco. Sweet, creamy, with lots of vanilla flavor, and other bakery flavors like cinnamon, nutmeg, and a rather buttery taste to case it all. This leaf reminds me of a good croissant roll or home made cookies. The tin note is nothing like the taste, as it smells rather fruity, characteristic of the Virginia tobaccos within. The Cavendish and Burley add creaminess and an overall toasty flavor to the smoke, and the Virginia adds that mild spice and sweetness. A delightful smoke indeed. I would recommend this to beginners, as it is very mild, sweet, cool smoking, and pleasant. A seasoned aromatic smoker might find it dull and lacking, but I can see it being a staple tobacco in anyone's regimen for whenever they want a quality, mellow, smoke. I can see myself enjoying this in a park, or out on the porch watching the sunset. The nicotine in it isn't bad either, so it won't slam you with that weird buzz feeling right away. Gold Blend is a thoroughly enjoyable smoke for when you want to feel content, relaxed, and mild.
Feb 07, 2010 Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant
A very light aromatic. Good clouds of smoke once started. Flavoring is more of a background than a foreground kind of thing. Smoked dry, no gurgling.
Oct 23, 2009 Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant
Upon opening this tin you are hit with a wonderful aroma of cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg. The smell is so good that I actually left the tin open in my car in hopes that it would stick around (it did not). I packed a bowl and set off for a long walk as I tend to do with new tobacco to fully enjoy the new flavors. This proved to be the wrong decision, the smoke was HOT, and that flavor that I smelled was non-existant. I actually quit smoking it half way into the walk. Needless to say I was disappointed.

I left the tin about 4 weeks and returned to it yesterday………This can't be the same stuff I was smoking a month ago!! It's a very light smoke, but the flavors were great, and it burned cool and clean! For me Gold Blend is a winner after some time to dry out and some patients. Gold blend thanks for not giving up and loosing hope…. Original Blog Link: http://ow.ly/15WsuK
May 07, 2009 Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant
I picked up this tin from the B&M because it had about 4-5 years of age on it (based on date from price tag) and from the tin description, I had no idea this was an aromatic. Well, it is, but it is more tasteful than most.

It's at least a unique and tasteful blend of casings, so it doesn't smell like a cheap lotion marketed for pubescent girls like many aromatics do.

It actually tastes rather nice, too. It's an easy blend that's good to keep around for sharing. The only problem, and for me it's a big one, is that it leaves behind its mark quite strongly in a pipe in which it is smoked.

Starting at a baseline of two stars, I'm docking this a star for not having any true complexity and docking it another for leaving its calling card in my pipe. But I'm giving it a star for being a rare tasteful aromatic and giving it another star for being so easy-going in its smokability and approachability.

target="_blank"