A fine English mixture from very broad Virginia in the 3 mm cut, torn leaf, hand-graded. Full bodied but light on the tongue, with broad cut Virginia, Oriental and selected Syrian and Cyprian Latakia.

BrandPeter Heinrichs
Manufactured ByKohlhase & Kopp
Strength
Taste
3.1
HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (342)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

A friend of mine gave me some of this at our pipe club awhile back. I find it interesting that I am the fourth reviewer and the last one was almost six years ago. It seems this stuff is hard to get, at least in the USA. If I smoke Virginia, I can tell, if I smoke Oriental I can usually tell, Perique and Latakia I can tell. But smoking a blend I cannot pull apart the different components while smoking like some of the professional reviewers on this web site. So, the more different blends I try the harder it gets sometimes to describe my experience. Anyway, just tossing that out there. I like the old-style tin lid on this one, they don’t make them like they use to. This has your typical nice Latakia tin note with dark and black ribbons and some torn up bits of tobacco. The first few puffs started out sweet and then about a third of the way down it started tasting a little more Orientalish, at least to me. Also, and I am not sure why but it really started kicking out a large amount of nice smoke clouds. As stated, a few times in previous reviews if I was going to use the wine analogy, I would say this is more of a dry white wine than a sweet red wine but then again what do I know I haven’t had a drop in over 19 years and wine never was my forte. I liked it and not a bad blend if you can find any. My friend tossed in the tin with the tobacco as he likes to jar everything and I prefer the tins unless I buy in bulk. It will be a nice add to my collection.

Pipe Used: Charatan's Make Lane Special

Age When Smoked: Unknown

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (228)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Although I have known of Peter Heinrichs tobacco blends for a long time and had a copy of their large glossy master catalog for the last several years, I don't remember ever possessing one nor finding anyone who offered them for sale. So when I found four tins of No. 169 for sale on ebay and knowing that it was an english blend, I bought them. I set one back for myself and offered the other three on my table at our 2013 NASPC show. From 9 AM to 5 PM I had one person who payed any attention to them at all and he complained that a German-speaking friend of his translated the German language in their catalog as being very different from the English language also in their catalog!

After the show I decided to open one of the tins to get some answers. I had a lot of trouble prying the paintcan-style lid off with a blade screwdriver and even more trouble getting it back on for a seal. What I found was a darkish tobacco with some lighter elements in it made up of some ribbons, some shags and a curious number of irregular rolled chunks that, when unrolled, looked like they had been cut (or torn) by hand. The mixture was adequately moist and only had to be dried for a short period of time. I agree with another reviewer that there was some form of topping but it was not heavy-handed and had either no noticable aroma or, at least, very little aroma. I also agree with the reviewer that it is probably a water-based solution of some sugar content.

So I loaded up and had at it. In keeping with its appearance of mostly dark elements with only a smattering of blond material, it smoked with a low register that was more broad than deep. The latakias were present at all times but not overpowering and the oriental was there in the background. The virginias are dark and stoved, which gives it the low register and makes it a very different english smoke than something like Magnum Opus or 965 or most other english blends that a lot of us have smoked. This blend smokes much closer to the old Bengal Slices that we smoked back in the old days, only not quite as latakia strong.

Although I can recommend this blend to english smokers in general; be prepared - this blend is strong in a way that might not be as familiar nor enjoyable to the average english smoker. Oddly,it might just be appealing to those of us who like a darker stoved-style virginia smoke. I am now enjoying blending with this tobacco and give it a solid three stars.

The smoky, woody, lightly sweet/wine-like and dry Syrian and Cyprian latakias are the star components, with the Cyprian taking a little of the lead. The grassy, citrusy Virginia forms the base of the blend. The mildly floral, woody, lightly buttery sweet and sour Oriental is a shade over being a mild addition. The nic-hit is a step over the mild threshold. The description claims this is full bodied, but I would say it's not quite that - close, but not quite. No lat-bomb for sure. No chance of bite or harshness. Burns at a moderate pace, cool, clean, smooth and even with a very consistent flavor. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a pleasing after taste. Is almost an all day English blend. Two and a half stars.

-JimInks

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (84)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

A fellow pipesmoker buddy of mine picked up a tin of this tobacco to try, (as we always sample each others new acquisitions), and gave me a bit to try.

I packed a medium bent pot and proceeded to light. Lighting was easy, (one re-light only), and the flavor from the get-go was slightly sweet on the palate. I could taste a mild fullness of the blend with a sweet note playing in and out as I proceeded down the bowl.

Virginia and the casing used seem to be the main characters, with the Oriental and Latakia components playing a background, secondary role

As for the casing? Maybe a simple sugar, nothing with a distinct flavor, pleasant, not overpowering.

The ash is grey and I did not encounter any 'gunk' in the heel upon completion. A nice change of pace that does not offend the household.

Full bodied, but on the medium side.

WorkingClassChap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WorkingClassChap (110)

Smoking now:

A sample bag. Big leaves! Fun to pack as the leaves are gigantic. Smells like a Balkan/English blend. Sweet hay and smokey Latakia. Moisture seems fine, smoked right away.

Not too full flavored for an English blend, a buttery smooth mouth feel. The herbal spicy smokey Latakia is there but it’s not a lat bomb. It’s balanced out with the other tobaccos. Woody, spicy, sour, vegetative, hay, smokey. Not overly complex. The Virginias do add a bit of sweetness which I noticed half way though the bowl. It’s quite nice. However the leaves are so big maybe I hit a Virginia leaf. Either way it was enjoyable. The retrohale is pleasant. Smoked at a normal pace and behaved well. Few relights. Left a slight spicy aftertaste is my mouth like other English blends but it’s welcomed. Would smoke again.

Pipe Used: Briar

Ej315 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ej315 (1)

I absolutely love this blend. Like others have stated this blend is hard to get in the States. However if you get it you will be intrigued as this isn’t your ordinary English blend. A lot of websites don’t list this but I have found out what I haven’t been able to put my finger on. This blend also contains dark fired Kentucky. This blend starts off sweet on the start and slowly starts to pack a punch. Especially if you retrohale. If you find it I highly recommend it. Again though, THIS BLEND CONTAINS KENTUCKY.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Bacco 904

DrAcula Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrAcula (62)

Presentation: Unabashedly simple "paint can" tin. I like it though.

Cut: Thick ribbon cut. Moisture level is just fine if not a touch on the moist side.

Tin note: Smoky and a slight fruity sweetness. I can't identify too many notes but overall it smells very rich and smooth. Enchanting.

Tasting notes: On the draw there is a nice sweetness -- almost creamy. Followed by a slightly smoky, woody note on the finish. Slight spice comes and goes but this not a "spicy" blend. An earthy note will come alive as the bowl progresses. There is an underlying grassy note throughout the bowl. The sweetness will make way for slightly more smoky flavor as the bowl progresses.

Mechanics: Blend smokes well. Don't smoke too fast, don't smoke too slow. Once you can walk that tightrope, this blend will be very enjoyable.

Extra Remarks: Peter Heinrich's No. 30, 39, and 169 are all similar in my head. But of those 3 English blends, 169 is my favorite. I can't explain why but this blend gave me more than the others and now is my second favorite Heinrich blend behind Dark Strong Flake. Very well done, 4 stars.

Pipe Used: IMP Bent Rhodesian Meer

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

Similar Blends: Peter Heinrichs - No. 30, Peter Heinrichs - No. 39.