Peterson De Luxe Navy Rolls

(3.56)
De Luxe Navy Rolls are made in Denmark using hand-stripped Virginia tobaccos from Brazil and Africa, married with perique from Louisiana. This recipe produces an aromatic smoke with natural tobacco flavors and lovely sweet notes.
Notes: Formerly known as Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls, STG has changed the brand name from "Dunhill" to "Peterson".

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.56 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 191 - 200 of 210 Reviews
Jul 04, 2012 Mild Mild Mild Unnoticeable
Ah Yes! a really nice every day smoke. I tried this in a small pipe I purchased in France and my goodness do they blend well together,I like strong tobaccos, Irish flake etc, so I was a little unsure about trying a medium taste tobacco, Straight from the tin , I rubbed out one roll, it lit first time, and after tamping down I sat back and enjoyed its subtle taste, as the smoke progressed it just got better, It is a really wonderful tobacco which I will always keep in my rotation, sweet, with an almost licorice after taste, its got to be a five star for me
Feb 29, 2012 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Excellent tobacco with all the characteristics you expect in this type of flake: A prune and raisin aroma upon opening the tin, flavors of hay and citrus from the Virginias along with some spice from the Perique, cool burning, and hence a nice slow, dry smoke, especially if you like smoking outside. Flakes are the best type of pipe tobacco to smoke on a windy day: They stay lit and won't blow ash all over your face.

The only problem is the price. For what you pay for this tin you can purchase four ounces of Peter Stokkebye's Bullseye Flake, which is just as good and has all the same characteristics; it just doesn't have the Dunhill name.
Dec 10, 2011 Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant
I popped open my tin as soon as I got it. The rolls felt moist, but the bowl smoked very well. Has a mild strength and taste. Roasted nutty taste. Want to update/amend my review. After leaving a few rolls out for 3 hours I cut them into small 1/16th" bits. The taste is now a green grass taste
Oct 16, 2011 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I was very impressed with this tin- I would select this tobacco as a regular smoke over dunhill flake nearly any day- while Dunhill Flake is a good reliable straight Va, this one either has better Va with more fruit notes (as opposed to citrus and grass), OR the Perique really does something charming in this blend.

The tobacco coins did not want to stuff and roll, so I ended up meeting halfway between that and truly rubbing it out. the pieces that fell apart ended up on the top of the bowl to help get it all started up.

It took a bit of time to light, but once I got it going and tamped properly (perhaps this one needs a bit more tamping than dunhill flake), it burned well. It did crackle a bit and I'd recommend allowing a coin or two to dry for a while before lighting.

The smoke was thick and luxurious, flavorful and sweet- the pepper element of the perique undeniably adding something special to the virginia tobacco.

All of that being said, I think there are better, must be better VaPer tobaccos out there. The only other one I have much experience with is Marlin Flake, and Navy Rolls is less enticing, less fruit forward, less creamy.

Navy Rolls is an easier smoke, though. Less tempermental, perhaps, than I have found Marlin Flake to be. For someone just getting into VaPers, this is a good blend to go with. Easy, satisfying, and smooth flavored.
Oct 04, 2011 Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
I like the mildness of this blend. I have used the fold and stuff method and have rubbed it out. Personally I like it better rolled out. I have also found that I like this best in a clay pipe because it allows the flavor to really come out. Its one downfall is the price. Is it worth it? I am going to say yes if you like a mild taste, no if you want something that is heavy on the perique.
Jun 28, 2011 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I know Dunhill tobaccos for several years, Early morning pipe (my favourite), 965, London mixture, Standard mixture medium and Night cap. And now I know Navy rolls. For my first pipe I was disappointed because the flavor of perique is not enough strong, the strength of this tobacco is hardly like the Samuel Gawith's Virginia flake. NR is expansive, more than Escudo for exemple which is better as far as the flavoring and strong are concerned. Therein Escudo VA is equal to perique and it is fairer price than NR for better quality. Nevertheless after five or six pipes with NR in a Peterson bulldog I think this tobacco is not so bad. Refined and elegant in despite of not enough strength (especially concerning perique). Therefore it is an interesting VA with a touch of perique. Alas it will be my first and last tin of NR, too expansive for not enough pleasure. Frenchysmoker
Jun 08, 2011 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This is my first taste of a "VaPer", so didn't know what to expect. Based my purchase solely on the fact that I've tried Dunhill Flake, which is outstandingly good (also reviewed). Took a single roll, and twisted it into the bowl of my Peterson Aran999, and lit her up. Good, full-bodied tobacco flavor, with absolutely on bite. Wasn't disappointed with this Dunhill tobacco either. Highly recommend.
Apr 20, 2011 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
DNR is a great VaPer. Big coins of a well balanced mix of lemon and red Virginias with a core of Perique. It is often compared to Davidoff Flake Medallions, and while both are top notch products, the Dunhill version bends towards Perique, making it a bit stronger and bitter.

A classic that needs to be tried, although I prefer other VaPers.
Feb 28, 2011 Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Nice VAPER, enjoyed it very much, if you like VAPERs give this one a try, high-quality tobacco...always equals a GREAT smoke!
Dec 29, 2010 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant
I consider this tobacco top-notch. Highly recommended its pure tobacco!

target="_blank"