Peterson De Luxe Navy Rolls

(3.56)
De Luxe Navy Rolls are made in Denmark using hand-stripped Virginia tobaccos from Brazil and Africa, married with perique from Louisiana. This recipe produces an aromatic smoke with natural tobacco flavors and lovely sweet notes.
Notes: Formerly known as Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls, STG has changed the brand name from "Dunhill" to "Peterson".

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.56 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 181 - 190 of 210 Reviews
Sep 03, 2022 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
Iconic presentation and excellent mechanics for this classic blend. The perique is just noticeable in this VA forward VaPer, but this doesn't subtract much from the experience. Wish it were more widely available.
Dec 19, 2021 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Well, it's true - DNR is a sweeter blend than Escudo. It's also slightly fuller resulting in a delectable and very relaxing smoke with no bite or sharpness. It has a lovely, classic VaPer burning aroma.

I typically rub out 2 coins and let it dry until it's ready to smoke.

A lovely blend but it is a tad pricey considering both Escudo and Elizabethan Mixture are less expensive.

I consider DNR, Escudo and Elizabethan Mixture sort of the trifecta of mild, high-quality VaPers and I smoke each blend fairly regularly.

I should add that, IMHO, all three blends tend to benefit from ashing. That is, keep gently dumping your ash as you work your way down the bowl. I've discovered this keeps the flavors fresh and keeps the smoke cool. For some reason this always helps any VaPer I'm smoking maintain its best flavor through the entire bowl.
Age When Smoked: Fresh and Aged
Jul 16, 2021 Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I have a tin currently in storage, and may pick up a couple more before I pop the tin on that one.

This review, as of now, is thanks to a half dozen or so coins that a friend gifted me. This particular batch dates back over a decade, so it’s had plenty of time to evolve.

My initial impression was disappointment. It was my first-ever experience with Deluxe Navy Rolls, and I had expected something that was probably unrealistic.

Once I got that first mildly disappointing bowl behind me, I found this a very pleasant experience. I find it to have nothing really in common with Luxury Bullseye Flake or Escudo, other than shape.

This blend, to me is satisfyingly flavorful... but in a way that’s hard to put into words. It’s a little savory, a little tart, with some very muted sweetness. It reminds me a little of a dry, oaky wine.

There’s definitely an interesting depth of character. I wonder how the newer stock stacks up.

It’s a slow burning, cool enough smoke, all the way to the bottom. Some blends I find tend to wane in the final half, ending with more whimper than bang. This isn’t one of those. It stays strong and engaging right to the end. Definitely a case of hating to see the bottom of the bowl, each time.

Speaking of which, I find myself at the bottom of my final bowl of the generous sample. It’s definitely been a great experience, after the initial letdown.

I’ll likely be breaking into my tin by the end of this year, and will update my review upon doing so.
Pipe Used: Various
PurchasedFrom: Gift
Age When Smoked: 10 years (2011 vintage)
May 08, 2021 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant
I'm not going to repeat all the other reviewers descriptions of the hay, fruit, peppery flavors found in this blend because they are all correct. This is a wonderful smooth, natural smoke. I had some trepidation about investing in a tin because of some of the comparisons to Escudo. I loathe Escudo. I love De Luxe Navy Rolls. You may draw you're on conclusions from this statement.
Pipe Used: Various
Age When Smoked: 1 year
Mar 02, 2021 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant
The Virginias greet you like a handshake from a brother, you then bump into a gentle perique flavouring offering a high note to this rather excellent tobacco. Never tried the Dunhill blend so can only base my opinion on the Peterson offering and my, what an offering! Bought a tin from a B&M tobacconists and was so impressed I immediately stocked up from my usual supplier. One of the tobaccos in my rotation as daily smokers. Can't reccomend highly enough.
Pipe Used: Falcon Coolway
PurchasedFrom: Smoke-king.co.uk
Age When Smoked: Fresh and 6+ months
Jul 08, 2020 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Beautiful Catherine Wheels of a lovely golden brown colour. I don't smell much from the tin but after rubbed out smells like dark hay with yeasty bread and a stone fruit aroma. I rubbed out two coins and let it dry for half an hour before l packed them into my full bent Butz Choquin. Took a few lights to get it going and once lit only required a second light for the last 1/4 bowl. First third of the bowl is extremely mellow, mild Virginia hay flavour that's a delight on the tongue. I couldn't detect any perique until further down the bowl. Flavour increases as you move down the bowl with the perique starting to pop around the halfway mark. I had to stop what I was doing because it started getting interesting and this is a very meditative blend, full of flavour and an absolute delight to smoke. Final third and the perique is king here, not too peppery but spicy and rich enough to make the whole experience worthy of a large bowl and your full attention for a good hour. I found it very easy to puff back into life when the ember started to die a little and as I said earlier only required a light for the last 1/4 because of my own inattention being transported to a very wondrous place by this quality VaPer. Easily an all day smoke, very gentle with no tongue bite whatsoever and burned down to a fine grey ash with no dottle. I did get a little gurgle a few times which needed addressing with a pipe cleaner but this is a characteristic of the pipe itself and I'm interested to see how it will perform in a straight pipe. This is quality tobacco from the get go and I fully recommend it to anyone who wants to try a VaPer because the perique here is gentle rather than a punch on the nose. Hats off to the blender here, I hope they don't try to "improve" on it as its perfect as is. Would be a dream to cellar! 10/10 from me. Add: this is a very different smoke in my porcelain tyrol hunter with the perique very firmly in the driver's seat. Much more peppery and rich. Most enjoyable!
Pipe Used: Butz Choquin Mexico
PurchasedFrom: GQ
Apr 21, 2019 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
Based on the Mac Barens blend. Tin note is a slightly sweet & sour, a fruity tobacco smell. I thought the tin aroma was awesome & very similar to Escudo with only a slight difference. It's strange how taste receptors differ in pipers. Some say Navy Rolls are sweeter than Escudo. I taste just the opposite & my taste says Escudo is a little sweeter than the Navy Rolls & I prefer it over Dunhill Navy Rolls & the cost is reasonable compared to NR. The contents were a little moist & even when dried out fairly well, picking & relights are still required. The taste is similar to other quality VA/Pers but bites more than Escudo. The silver dollar size coins are mostly dark with minimal yellow Virginia strands... counted about 26 coins in the tin. It crumbles easily even when a little damp which facilitates packing & provides an even burn. There are quite a few stems embedded within some of the coins but nothing to arouse concern... can be quickly separated. Not as clean as Escudo which is the bargain VA/per & why so many more tins of Escudo are sold & reviewed on this site & the aged variety is at a premium. You ask why... simply because Escudo is better than Navy Rolls in price & quality! Simple as that.

Escudo, Stonehenge Flake & Salty Dogs have been my regular selection when it comes to Va/Pers. Vintage Three Nuns was also a favorite of mine but has been replaced by Doblone d' Oro. I enjoy interchanging to employ a variety of slightly different flavors. I didn't like St. James Woods or Davidoff Medallions as well but they are also pretty good VA/Per blends... just a matter of taste. I'll be trying a sample of Stokkebye's Bullseye Flakes on my next tobacco run to satisfy my curiosity with the additional Cavendish target. It might be a winner for me. It wasn't. I go for strength in a blend as well as flavor and this delivers but causes more chemical burn than the popular Escudo. So, FWIW, I sold my remaining three tins of Navy Rolls as I felt it to be inferior to Escudo... my reasoning: Why pay more for less flavor and palate discomfort. It didn't seem logical to me. Navy Rolls burned hotter than Escudo & had to go.

As far a taste... not bad, tastes fairly well & gets slightly stronger as you approach the finish. It leaves a light gray dottle & doesn't create a lot of moisture if properly prepared... two of these silver dollar sized coins will fill a #3 bowl & provide more than enough Vitamin N to satisfy any craving unless one has become accustomed to something like Five Brothers or Picayune. The strength & burn rate is about the same as Escudo, so, for the price differential, will be cellaring more Escudo. Escudo has had over three times the number of sales as Dunhill Navy Rolls & that is saying something without speaking. I can't comment on the original Dunhill, "Deluxe" Navy Rolls as I've never had or taken the opportunity to try it nor do I have any desire to do so because I found many Dunhill blends to be lacking in strength & flavor. You shouldn't overjudge a tobacco simply because of reputation... I found most Dunhill blends to be unworthy of the name & title. Those who rated it three or less stars are on target while those who gave it a full blast are overzealous... the name is meaningless. As the Dallas Cowboys hall of famer, Troy Aikman once stated, "Get real" & that's the nature of things & I repeat, "Get real dude" & come to your senses! Dunhill means nothing... just a name of days gone by.
Pipe Used: Peterson Deluxe 9S & 11S, Huber Bent Dublin
PurchasedFrom: Pipes & Cigars & Wilke Pipe Tobacco
Age When Smoked: Fresh Tin
Dec 16, 2018 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
Tin note is a slightly sweet & sour, fruity tobacco smell. I thought the tin aroma was awesome & very similar to Escudo with only a slight difference. It's strange how taste receptors differ in pipers. Some say Navy Rolls are sweeter than Escudo. I taste just the opposite. My taste says Escudo is a little sweeter than the Navy Rolls & I prefer it over Dunhill Navy Rolls. The contents were a little moist & even when dried out fairly well, picking & relights are still required. The taste is similar to other quality VA/Pers. The silver dollar size coins are mostly dark with minimal yellow Virginia strands... counted about 26 coins in the tin. It crumbles easily even when a little damp which facilitates packing & provides an even burn. There are a minimal amount of small stems embedded within some of the coins but nothing to arouse concern... can be quickly separated.

Escudo has been my regular selection when it comes to Va/Pers. Vintage Three Nuns was also a favorite of mine but has been replaced by Doblone d' Oro. I enjoy interchanging to employ a variety of slightly different flavors. I didn't like St. James Woods or Davidoff Medallions as well but they are also pretty good Perique blends... just a matter of taste. I'll be trying a sample of Stokkebye Bullseye Flakes on my next tobacco run to satisfy my curiosity with the additional Cavendish target. It might be a winner for me. I go for strength in a blend as well as flavor and this delivers.

This doesn't bite, tastes good to me & gets slightly stronger as you approach the finish. It leaves a light gray & white dottle & doesn't create a lot of moisture if properly prepared... two coins will fill a #3 bowl & provide more than enough Vitamin N to satisfy any craving... unless one has become accustomed to something like Five Brothers or Picayune. The strength & burn rate is about the same as Escudo, so, for the price differential, will be smoking more Escudo but will try to keep my few remaining Navy Roll tins aging a while longer & I'm sure the flavor will eventually match the sweetness of the A & C Peterson, Escudo blend.
Pipe Used: D. S. Huber Bent Dublin
PurchasedFrom: Pipes & Cigars & Wilke Pipe Tobacco
Age When Smoked: Fresh Tin
Oct 12, 2018 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
This is a dark and earthy Va/per with some spice. The Virginias and perique merge into a menagerie of earthy and dark fruit flavors that produce a smooth and complex smoke. The light and dark Virginias are prominent in the blend and provide a sweet and rich flavor with a few hints of grass. The perique is a delight and provides hints of mission figs and a slight spiciness that builds throughout the smoke. The moisture is perfect. The curly cut/coin can easily be folded or rubbed out. The smoke is smooth with no tongue bite. I would at least give this blend a few years in the tin to deepen the flavors from the Virginias and the perique.

In comparison to Escudo, DLNR seems to be less grassy and have touch less spice from the perique.

It is the best of the best and my favorite blend. It will be surely missed—a solid 4.0 stars.
Jun 01, 2013 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
Just heavenly sorry I didn't try it sooner one of my new favorite smokes.

target="_blank"