J. F. Germain & Son Royal Jersey Perique Mixture

(3.20)
The mysterious flavour of Louisiana perique combined with golden cavendish that is the signature of the Royal Jersey range of tobaccos.
Notes: This is the latest addition to the Royal Jersey range, and contains a subtle quantity of genuine Louisiana perique. The fully-rounded taste of matured tobaccos.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.20 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 22 Reviews
Jun 15, 2014 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant
Germain - Royal Jersey Perique Mixture.

The unlit mix is mostly golden in colour, consisting of pieces between half to a full centimetre in length and it is neither to damp nor dry, making for excellent lighting up. The aroma of the mix pre-light is a little earthy with a slight acidic note there also.

The smoking of this is a true pleasure, you get a sublime hay like Virginia flavour which takes the lead role with the Perique offering a spicy note in the background and a touch of strength, but as others state, it does not take this blend over, only embellishes the taste with its lively character. Nicotine level is pleasing, it is neither too much or too little, about Squadron Leader level and if you have a predilection to inhale the smoke you can do so with ease. Room note is fairly standard for the included tobaccos but on the positive side it is quite a light aroma so any non-smokers would not find it very offensive.

Due to the fact that it is fairly light on the Perique side it would make a splendid entry into the world of Virginia/Perique blends.
Pipe Used: Davorin Denovic Morta
PurchasedFrom: Smoke King
MDP
Jul 04, 2013 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant
Royal Jersey Perique is a blend for the connoisseur with palate and perspective intact. Subtle and varying notes of matured Virginias, Cavendish (read: unflavored, steamed Virginia), air-cured Maryland, a smidgen of dark-fired (?) and dollop of perique are all proportioned with extreme skill for a playful, yet cultured, experience. RJP belongs in the genre of Elizabethan Mixture, with EM the fuller-flavored of the two. One could add Irish Oak, Stratford, Dorchester, and Dunbar to the category. Figgy, fermented, musty and fetid (in a friendly way) all come through supported by a subtle, Virginia sweetness.

It is somewhat surprising that no comparison to Dorchester has been made until now. They are quite similar, but not identical. RJP being the more complex, yet less full-flavorful, of the two and Dorchester with a touch, just a touch, more perique. If RJP leaves you underwhelmed, try it aged some, on the drier side and after giving your mouth a rest from those enthralling, but tongue-dominating, British dark-fired powerhouses. You wouldn't eat a phall curry then after a consomme and complain about the blandness of the broth, would you?

(The "broken flake" cut note above must go, as RJP is cut to almost angel hair thinness).
May 24, 2014 Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong
Exceptional. I have come from smoking lots of Cuban cigars and Dunhill pipe tobacco mainly. This is a great blend. Opening the can, seemed slightly under filled, but beautiful staining to the greaseproof paper from the tobacco. Looks like its been in the can for sometime, I am not sure as I bought it new. Truly beautiful tobacco, just a few twig type pieces, easy to remove. The Perique is king!. I even put some in my mouth and loved the flavor: soft and juicy. Aroma of steamed plums and spices. Reminds me of Partagas 8-9-8 and Lusitania and also Upmann Number 2 cigars. Full bodied and a amazing taste, helps that I am from a Habanos background. Perfect for me, I have ordered more today.
Pipe Used: Pre-Republic Peterson no COM
PurchasedFrom: Pipe Shop Edinburgh Online
Sep 27, 2013 Mild to Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Opening this tin rewards you with pure heavenly perfumes, such as flowers, butter, some smoky cheese, etc...

Needs a tad bit of drying as the tobacco is a bit on the moist side. A friend of mine whose principles are 100% against tobacco, loved the tin smell, the room note and asked me to try it. He was converted on the spot! Asked me to help him buy his first pipe and this specific tobacco! I was shocked!

Anyway, excellent VA/PER. Not so much perique in the mixture, but enough to give a kick and some spice.

I love the buttery/floral taste of this tobacco. Will go down into my favourites, and will definitely buy this again!
May 30, 2013 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Another step along the road of VaPs. I have heard the odd bad word said about this but I am going through a Germain's phase at the moment an I was determined to give this a go, regardless of the consequences to my palate and my wallet. I just hoped I wouldn't be left too unimpressed.

Upon opening the tin, a very mild waft of what I could only discern as stewed peaches that were on the turn provided me with a little discomfort but didn't put me off. Then, folding back the paper inside to reveal the tobacco, I was surprised. It has already been established in previous reviews that this is not broken flake, but they didn't prepare me for how "not broken flake" this is. I expected, at worst, a light ready rubbed consistency but this comes out as a fine shag, much like King Charles Mixture for instance. In spite of this, it still is a little tricky to pull apart and pack without it clumping together, so a little care is needed. Lighting is perfect, I think Germain's have got the right moisture levels here, as usual. They're usually spot on with this. My first few pipefuls were a little rough, making me think I'd bought a duff one. However, it has started to grow on me. It does have a light, almost cigarette like quality to it, not too heavy. Virginias are dominant here, with hints of lemon coming through, and ocassionally gives hints of some oriental, even though there's none in. The perique appears a little later and adds just a nice topping, giving hints of chocolate and maybe some plum. This is really winning me over.

On the whole then, a very good smoke. Nice and cool, very easy to sup - serendipity given the fine cut. The contents compliment each other nicely. While I am far from calling myself a VaPer, I am very fond of this one and it is probably one of the better ones in this line of tobacco.
Apr 28, 2004 Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
A nicely scented Virginia/Perique/Cavendish mixture that is snugly packed in the tin. It is a long-stranded shag cut that packs beautifully. The Virginia is bright, light and airy. The Perique remains quietly in the background and the Cavendish produces a unique, aromatic taste that compliments the Virginia & Perique in a natural and unique way.

Dec 05, 2011 Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I bought my first tin of this at the same time I bought a tin of King Charles mixture, which is obviously a completely different blend altogether but it has one thing in common; quality! Unlike other reviewers I found my tin to be at the perfect humidity for smoking upon opening the tin. (I must also note at this point that the tobacco is ribbon/curley cut and definitely not broken flake) In fact I was quite surprised at how easily it lit and stayed lit, and burned beautifully and consistently all the way down the bowl. The richness and flavour of the smoke were also consistent with the perique certainly present but not overly so. Another brilliant smoking experience from J.F. Germain & Son, I would highly recommend this blend to any discerning pipe smoker with a taste for perique/virginia.
Jun 15, 2016 Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable
This is unlike any VaPer i have ever tried. This is more like a Virginia mixture, full bodied in the sense of Royal Yacht, minus the plum topping. The blend presents cigar like notes; earthy, spicy with a very slight hint of sweetness.

Burning properties are excellent producing voluminous smoke with minimal relights.

This is a blend with a lot of flavour and complexity that will keep the seasoned smoker engaged.
May 14, 2016 Medium None Detected Full Tolerable
This Perique mixture is intriguing for me. The old school presentation of mostly brown and dark shag cut in the tin is a testament to English tobacco making know how. A smell of fermented, almost rotten vegetables assail my nostrils, this could be good! My tin was five years old and had some plume on the thicker and darker strands of Perique.

Lighting the pipe is easy and right away the condiment show up, a mixture of mostly peppery and a more subdued plum taste. The matured Virginias complete the roundness and add a sporadic creaminess to this tobacco. It leaves a nice cigarlike aftertaste and burns to a white ash. I also agree with Pre Republic Peterson for his comparison with those Cuban cigars.

Virginia lover
May 21, 2005 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant
Royal Jersey Perique Mixture is an excellent Virginia/Perique. The tin notes state that mature Virginias comprise this mixture, their color a muted green. These mature Virginias lack LF?s austerity and taste, their flavor profile more akin to the signature Virginias found in the prior recipe of Samuel Gawith?s Full Virginia Flake (the current recipe so vastly different). The melding of the Virginia and Perique together sum to a tobacco greater than the sum of its parts?just delicious!

In Pease?s tin notes for ?Stratford? he describes the blend as a mixture of ?sugar and spice,? yet after smoking a 1.5 oz sample, I found the Perique imperceptible. His description fits RJP far more aptly. The Perique is again about 5%, clearly discernible, and the Virginias are sweet, with a commanding yet not intense full-body, such as are found in Wessex Dark Flake. This blend tastes has the signature Virginia/Perique flavor profile of sweetness and spice. The Virginias are of such superior quality that I feel I could smoke them quite enjoyably without the Perique; with it they find their perfect compliment.

LF is the clear winner of the two blends, the flavor, although monochromatic, more savory. Still RJP is a winner in its own right, one of the best Viriginia/Periques I?ve ever smoked.

As an aside, both tobaccos are what I would term ?traditional Virginia/Periques,? although LF less so than RJP; i.e. both have clear taste demarcations between the Virginias and Perique. In comparison Escudo and Three Nuns Version, second version, I would term ?non-traditional? Virginia/Periques in that the Perique is so well melded to the Virginias in the blend that separating one from the other is more difficult.

target="_blank"