J. F. Germain & Son Uncle Tom's Mixture

(2.72)
Black pressed cavendish, with matured, air-cured and flue-cured tobacco. An old-fashioned style, with plenty of taste.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.72 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 14 Reviews
Aug 02, 2015 Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant
Weird and unique blend. Stringy ribbon - almost a shag - of mostly light to tan but with a few strands of black, which I assume is the Cavendish. Oddly, many of the black pieces were of a harder consistency. The tin aroma was just bizarre for a pipe tobacco... very earthy and almost peaty. Smelled like newly mown hay that had contracted mold somehow.

This is listed here as "Cavendish based" but the Cavendish seems more of a condiment. A light sweetener, pretty much just sugar with no added flavors. Imagine Odgen's Gold Block with a touch of black Cavendish that had been excessively moistened and then hurriedly dried. Yet, this tastes better than I'm making it sound. Somehow it just works in the pipe. It's not a world-beater but it's interesting. It's a mellow smoke, with just the right proportions of earthiness and sweetness... unless you prefer more sweetness in your bowl. This is more balanced. Smells funny, tastes on the odd side, but it works. The original blender must have had a stroke of creativity with this one - nothing like it that I've ever tried.
Aug 17, 2014 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant
J.F Germain Uncle Tom's Mixture.

The unlit mixture has a very raw and "earthy" natural tobacco smell, where the Virginia dominates the blends aroma. It is mainly a medium brown Virginia colour with a smaller amount of darker Cav specks in there. Moistness is great: not damp or dry, a superb amount.

This one takes to lighting up with amazing ease, and when lit it leaves behind a very white ash. The burn is really even, it doesn't need a re-light unless left to long without any attention. The flavour of the smoke now: like the unlit mix, it is prominently a Virginia one. To be fair you do also get a small amount of a "basic" Burley cigarette type quality with a very slight addition of black Cavendish sweetness. Tongue bite does not occur throughout the entire bowl , but we all vary for that!

Nicotine: below medium. Room-note: pleasant.

Three stars.
Pipe Used: Peterson
PurchasedFrom: Smoke King
Jun 03, 2014 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Mild, middle of the road, relaxing, yes. The reviews were so mixed I didn't really know what to expect. But I was pleasantly surprised. It is true nothing really jumps out at you. On opening the whiffs were sweet and more peaty, mossy, than anything else I noticed. I don't know how old the tin was but the moisture was about right. It lit right up and took one re-light. Seemed like it might bite but didn't. Go slow. Room note was unobtrusive, very "old-fashioned" whatever that means.
Pipe Used: Old Briar Nose Warmer
PurchasedFrom: Pipes and Cigars
Age When Smoked: Not sure, but open and smoked from the tin
Jan 10, 2007 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
This tobacco isn't going to blow anyone's socks off. That said, it is a very enjoyable smoke, and quality is really high.

Opening the tin, I am presented with a little brick of tobacco wrapped in some kind of silver-lined plastic, and the silver is peeling off and sticking to some of the tobacco. Not acceptable, and coupled with the stupid square tin, it's almost enough to put a guy onto some other brand. Aroma is Virginia and stewed prunes, not unlike Peterson Sherlock Holmes or even Dunhill Elizabethan.

A mixture of ribbons, leaf bits, and some stems, this stuff packs easy and lit up pretty well. I wonder if the tin was a bit old, because it was not very moist at all.

Smoke is voluminous and pleasant... not a particularly hot burning blend. The pruney smell comes through, and I am reminded of the plummy notes in Presbyterian. In fact, add some orientals and maybe a bit of latakia, and you've got Presby.

Lacking the ashy harshness that Elizabethan gives me, this is a nice mild smoke. Not completely monotone, but not particularly complex. A good choice for one moving from aromatics to English or Virginia blends.
Jul 18, 2015 Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant
I am enjoying my first ever smoke of this, in a meer, as I type. In the tin, it is medium cut, mainly mid-brown, some black (the Cavendish, no doubt). It is a mild, smooth, slightly earthy, pleasant if unexciting smoke.
Pipe Used: Meerschaum
PurchasedFrom: The Pipe Shop, Edinburgh
Jun 20, 2014 Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This is a very mildly aromatic virginia based tobacco with a smidgen of black cavendish and a bit of burley from the description which went unnoticed. The tin aroma has a distinct fig-fruity aroma that seems to me to be the same or similiar to the manufacturer's blend Esotorica Dunbar. So, that blend has an aroma enhancement, not just from the fruity character of perique respective to it. The flavor is dominated by slightly sharp golden virginia flavors. Occasionally, there was an unusual flavor nuance(perfumed spice, slight bitterness) that I think is the black cavendish that reminded me also of the same manufacturer's blend Plumcake so, perhaps this element is the same in both. I wish this was a little milder on the palette but, I'm one of those sensitive to virginia bite. Overall, this is a very pleasant blend in character but not outstanding. Nevertheless, I'll finish the tin and perhaps order it again. It wouldn't be a bad idea to order this and add a bit of blending perique when Esotorica Dunbar and Dorchester are out of stock.
Pipe Used: corncob
Feb 03, 2012 Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
I found this more mellow than mild, with just a bit more N than something like Carter Hall or SWR. The tin note was very date-like (reminded me of date steam pudding), but while sweetish, this was not a sweet aro by any means. I can see why it doesn't get many very good overall reviews here -- not sweet enough for many aro lovers, too mellow for many VA or VaPer fans, not complex enough for many Oriental lovers, and of course most Latakia lovers would find nothing to love.

For me, this is a very middle-of-the-road relaxing smoke. It hit the spot when I am looking for such a blend; not great by any means, but good overall. Since I know there are many tobaccos out there I would rate a 4, the question arises would I rebuy this particular tobacco, assuming my tastes don't change much more. In this case, the answer is yes, and I have.
Jan 28, 2005 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
I tried this one last week, during a time when resting from heavier blends. This is a standard virginia type blend, which after a short intitial period of having to avoid getting the pipe too hot to prevent tongue bite, settles into a nice rich sweetness that isn't cloying. The burning qualities are fine, although the tobacco in the tin came a lot more moist than I prefer and thus very small traces of white on the dark top pieces. The blend is clearly of good quality, as once it settles down, you can puff away within reason and it's a cool smoke with a nice rich but not overpowering flavor. Not much nicotine buzz, so a nice candidate for a all day or frequent smoke for virginia tobacco lovers looking for something on the mild end of medium. My rating is biased as I've smoked enough virginia to know what I like there, so I won't judge it by the standards of a smoker who prefers latakia blends. If you have a virginia blend you already like, this might not make you change, but given the fullness without an oversweet aroma and taste, this might be a nice change of pace for some.

As an update, I found, to my surprise, that this tobacco mixes very well with heavier blends like Mississippi Mud, or heavy latakia blends. I wouldn't buy it just for that, but if you find yourself disappointed in the can you buy, or find it too mild, then it's a very fixable blend. Also, it has good burning qualities when drier also, as opposed to out of the can. In fact, it burns noticably cooler, on a par with Peterson's Sherlock Holmes blend, if not better.
Feb 08, 2019 Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant
First of all I wouldnt call this a cavendish based blend. Its a Virginia based blend with some cavendish used as a condiment. The cut is one of my favorites in the industry. Germaines shaggy strands packed tightly always bring me delight. Mostly light brown virginia, speckled with golden strands and littered with jet black cavendish that has dull white sugars on the surface. The tin note is earthy and murky. Deep inhalations reveal root spice like ginger and even anise.

I found that on a scale of 1-10 (1 being bone dry and 10 being Gawith), Uncle Toms smokes best around a 5 or 6. Malty, cereal, earth toned virginia forms the base of flavor. Careful smoking with regular retrohales reveals a steady stream of softly sweet licorice/anise. I recommend a more narrow bowl, perhaps one you would use for a virginia flake. It must not be smoked carelessly or too quickly. Dont fall in to the trap of chasing the flavors. This is a terrific blend for contemplation that will reward the patient steady smoker.
Pipe Used: Various billiards
PurchasedFrom: Kremers in Louisville
Age When Smoked: Relatively Fresh
Dec 09, 2018 Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
This is one unique blend, I have nothing to compare it to really other than a vague familiarity with other J.F. Germain blends (Roayl Jersey's come to mind). The tin note is subdued, slightly sweet and earthy. Unlike others I do not detect a topping in the tin note or the favor. The smoke is quite unique. The funny thing about this blend (brace yourself this is likely going to make no sense to anyone reading this) is that the brown and black Cavendish (unflavored) taste like I always expect Cavendish to taste but it never does. The Cavendish and Virginia's play so well together it is hard to believe. The Cavendish is slightly behind the VA's but in a way that make the Virginia's taste better. They are slightly sweet but mostly earthy and add a mineral like flavor to the smoke. This mineral note seems to tame the sweetness you are getting from all of the leaves, Cavendish and Virginia, and provides a backbone to the smoke. There is some light grass and citrus from the Virginia leaf and there is a very unique flavor on the finish. about 2 second after you expel the smoke you get a nice caramel like flavor that sits in your mouth for several minutes. I really enjoy this. Tip: I have a universal rule with all Germain tobacco's, dry them. Due to the cuts it depends on time but I haven't found one that needed less than 15 minutes unless I left it in a tin for a month or more after the seal was popped. Once dried Germain tobacco's smoke like no others.
Pipe Used: Briar’s and cob’s