Three burley tobaccos, two Virginias, and a touch of unsweetened black cavendish form a classic American blend, hearkening back to the days when burley was king in American pipe tobacco blends.

Notes: Reminiscent of old original Bond Street blend.

Blended ByBob Runowski
Blend TypeBurley Based
Packaging2 ounce tin, bulk
Strength
Taste

3.4
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

OK, I understand that Pegasus is one of my own offspring, but I am partial to it. In the blending, I sought to find a mixture that really reflected rather common American tobaccos which could be enjoyed as a smoke through the day. Years ago, I enjoyed smoking Bond Street, and my hope was to approach the flavor of Bond Street with its pleasant room aroma.

The base of the blend are three burleys: cube cut, white and dark. They are the majority tobaccos. The two virginias and the unsweetened black cavendish provide the flavor. I have grown very fond of ribbon cut virginia with its matured sweetness and clean burn. Black cavendish has drawn criticism because of the travesty which some blenders have inflected upon it with the "bag o' smokes" available in some venues. But, C&D black cavendish is uncased and very smooth, w/o excess sugars.

Smoking Pegasus is best in a larger bowled pipe, to allow the tobaccos to meld. I chose a Ben Wade large Dublin which I got from Bill Unger of NASPC. In the first lightings, the initial bitterness of burleys are expressed, but then their fullness is tasted followed fairly quickly by tasting both virginias and the BC. The smoke never seems to fall into any harshness and levels out into clean and pleasant experience. I believe that both the new and more experienced smoker will find Pegasus acceptable.

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an excellent burley blend. I can see some black cavendish in the loose tobacco, but it is not flavored. There is not much Virginia here, but it contributes to a slightly sweet note every now and then. This is mostly burley goodness. The taste profile has some oats and has some bitter notes especially in the last half of the bowl.

Think of a slightly stronger Carter Hall with no topping. If you like burley, you will like this blend. There is a certain satisfying quality to Pegasus, and I find it very easy to knock out the ashes and load another bowl. My last purchase was a pound.

Edit 6/15: I have almost finished a second pound of this since the initial sample and then 4 oz to "round out" an order. I think this is easily one of the best "all-day" blends out there. It is a very good smoke.

Edit 8/15: Bob Runowski is the man. This blend grows on you. I am enjoying this one enough I am going to bump it to a 4 "everyone should try this."

Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

The burleys are nutty, woody, toasty, earthy, with a touch of molasses and a slight sharpness (from the white burley) as the star components. The Virginia is grassy with a little tangy and more tart citrus in a supporting role. The unsweetened black cavendish smooths out the burleys a little with some brown sugar. There's a slight topping that doesn't detract from the tobaccos. The strength and taste levels barely reach the medium mark. The nic-hit is at the center of mild to medium. Burns clean at a reasonable pace, fairly cool with a very consistent nutty, woody, sweet flavor, though it can get a little bitter in the last quarter of the smoke. Leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl, and won't bite even if you push it, but I suggest a moderate pace. Requires few relights. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste, and stronger room note. It is a rather comfortable all day smoke.

-JimInks

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (97)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Pegasus is among the world's most perfect tobaccos. It is positively transcendent in a way that I would never encounter through tobacco. Cornell & Diehl employ some of the finest burleys to be found on the market today, and it appears that nearly all types of this leaf that they had to offer went into this blend in perfect proportion. For those sad folk for whom perfect burleys are not enough, two Virginias were added, and this only seemed to deepen the flavor without making it over-sweet, over sweet in the Virginia sense, mind ye.

For a perfect hint of sweetness, so slight but so skillfully executed, we have the black Cavendish. Easily the finest example of black Cavendish that can be found, almost what I imagine the old Rattray's Virginia based black Cavendish to have been like, not that I am old enough to have tasted that particular leaf. Is this all that is required to achieve true tobacco perfection? So it would seem.

This is the blend, along with Prince Albert, of course, that turned me into a devoted smoker of classic American-style mixtures. I have gone through more than five pounds of the stuff so far and the gods only know when I will let up. Be warned, once Pegasus casts her spell, it is not easily broken.

Regards,

A. Morley Jaques

Emeritus Account (29765)

Based on my hazy memory of Bond Street, I think Bob Runowski did very well. This is a burley/VA/cavendish blend with a predominantly burley taste and a nice room note. I liken this one to Hearth & Home's LJ Heart Burley. This one burns more cleanly than LJ Heart but doesn't have quite the flavor explosion. It reminds me of a cereal I use to love as a young man - Fortified Oat Flakes. A nice, oaty, slightly sweet flavor.

As with a lot of C&D blends, the cut of this one is all over the map. As always, I'm amazed that it burns evenly but I blend on occasion for myself and I leave the blending for others to the professionals. If you enjoy a nice, lightly sweet, meaty blend that can be smoked all day and you've eschewed burleys in the past, this is one good place to start with burley blends. I doubt I'll return to this one very often but it was a nice experience.

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (37)

This is one of my favorite tobaccos. As a rule I love burley and more specifically I love burley from C&D. It's of very high quality and always brings me enjoyment. Contentment in a tin.

I think of this tobacco as a comfortable pair of slippers, your favorite robe or a well worn pair of jeans. It's certainly not fancy or "complex" but it is satisfying and relaxing.

In the tin I see cubed, dark and white burley with what must be a little darker unflavored cavendish and a small amount of Virginia that must provide the gentle sweetness. This blend has a nice gentle sweetness that perfectly matches the nutty burley and has the very slightest hint of cigar notes from the dark burley. It has a nice full oat like flavor at times that almost reminds me of cereal grains. The nicotine is squarely in the medium range and I would rate it slightly above Prince Albert (another favorite if that helps you with my take on the review).

The blend burns well and I would recommend a light gravity type load with a light tamp at the beginning. I also like to load up my pipe and leave it overnight. Although the blend already seems dry the cubed burley seems a bit moist and burns a lot better after drying out a bit. Tongue bite is pretty much non-existent although I would recommend a slow smoking pace since I seem to get the most out of this blend by going slow. No need to hurry!

Overall this is a wonderful that I will most certainly be stocking up on and dedicating a pipe or two to it. Pegasus satisfies, relaxes and is another winner from C&D.

Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow! This one blew me away. to my tastes this is hands down the best of the C & D Burleys that I have tried. It is a codger burley with gravitas. If puffed hard this will come off as pretty harsh and ashy as many C & D Burleys do, but at the right tempo the smoker is treated to a perfect amount of nutty sweetness you would expect from a codger burley.

A forum friend sent me about a five bowl sample of this and I puffed through it in two days. I don't know why I bothered to put it in a jar. I find many of C & D burleys to be overwhelming a bit in both taste and nicotine, but the Cavendish seems to settle this one down enough to make it more palatable. The nicotine is there and does dance along the line of overwhelming. I kind of like this so to me this is perfect.

As for the room note, I really can't give an answer as my two days of smoking it didn't include any other objective noses around, but the sidestream was fantastic. Very pleasant pipey aroma you would expect from a codger burley. I liked this better than Jack knife plug, which is saying a lot as I enjoy that blend immensely.

I wouldn't say it is as good as ABF, but it is such a different blend it isn't fair to even compare the two. I would hold this closer in performance to some of Uhle's offerings, but fuller in body and stronger in the nic.

I have listed the flavoring as very mild, but am not sure whether the Cavendish is topped at all, it just seems a little sweeter than what I would expect from a non topped blend.

Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

C&D's Description: "Three Burley tobaccos, two Virginias and a touch of unsweetened Black Cavendish make this a classic American blend."

Sentiment: Every time I pack and roast a bowl of Pegasus I experience a moment of prideful sentiment of what it means to be a tobacco user and American. Although Washington has been a part of the union for quite some time now I feel rather misplaced; especially in the winter months when I smoke Pegasus. I believe this blend calls the front porches of the south home, but I am grateful it makes allowances for my personal geographical displacement. The warm summer day(s) in the Pac NW on the deck are the closest I come to achieving the ideal setting for Pegasus.

Dry Characteristics: Described as a ready rubbed, the leaves are unique among the thirty or so blends I have tried over the years. If one were to make a miniature model of a PA neighborhood in the fall, Pegasus would make the perfect raked pile of dried leaves. They are not flecks nor shreds, but small leaves of brown tones.

Packing: Pegasus is ready to go directly out of the tin. The tin-note is one of subtlety with a detection of dried fruit. Their is no need for moisture adjustments of any form and its burn qualities are very good. I prefer a larger bowl for this blend as the leaves cited earlier are too large to pack an ample portion without applying too much pressure in small or mid sized chambers.

Light: Lighting is an easy venture. One match to char and a second to get the light and you may not need another one until it is finished.

Smoking Experience: The flavors upon lighting represent the sweeter spectrum of this blend. you will be revisited by this sweetness on occasion as the bowl progresses but the overwhelming majority of the experience will be spent tasting quality burley. There are a few layers of flavor within pegasus but by and large my palate is stricken with that of a bag of walnuts. Within a bag of walnuts there are many flavors depending on the nut. Some nuts are sweet, some meaty, and some carry the sharp flavor of the shell. Every now and then the VA and Cavendish blend to convey almost a cornmeal or sweet bran like flavor but is not a theme.

Don't let the description of VA and Cavendish fool you. This is a Burley. Unadulterated glorious burley. If you don't like burley, leave pegasus alone. It does not deserve to be slandered by VA addicts looking for robust levels of sweet (I love me some VA too). This blend is nutty, woody, bran-meal goodness and I want more.

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (75)
Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

I'm with TallPuff on this one. Pegasus is hands down the best of the Cornell & Diehl burleys.

Not that I've tried them all. An impossible feat for most of us. But if I did, I could almost smell the disappointment. Simply put, Pegasus gets everything exactly right. Let me try to explain why.

Burley excels at providing a slow-burning, satisfying flavourful and fragrant smoke. The only potential downside is ashiness. If puffed too hard or fast, burley can turn on you. Giving a harsh, acrid unpleasant experience.

Pegasus builds in an extra layer of protection against ashiness, in the form of a small admixture of Virginia tobacco. Not enough to taste on its own, mind you, but enough to mellow out the strong burleys used in this blend. Fortunately there's no temptation to overpuff this one: even the tiniest sips give a LOT of flavour, aroma and satisfaction.

Then there's the unsweetened black cavendish, which has a beautiful toasty flavour and bewitching aroma. Fortunately it's not the aromatic type of BC which frankly I can't stand: no added fragrances are detectable. Instead, the unsweetened BC used in Pegasus is more like a spice tobacco that prevents this burley-heavy blend from ever becoming monotonous. And it works beautifully. Just the perfect amount.

When I first fired up my initial bowl of Pegasus, it struck me as being of medium strength. But by the time I finished, I definitely knew I'd had a smoke. Because it's STRONG. Make no mistake ... you want to take your time with this one.

For what it's worth, I did have the occasion to smoke Bond Street about 40 years ago. And I must say that Pegasus reminds of that experience: captivating aroma, full-bodied, and dry smoking. The blender of Pegasus definitely knew what he was doing. No doubt about it.

Pipe Used: MM Washington

Purchased From: Online Vendor

Similar Blends: House of Windsor - Bond Street.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

The combination here works. I especially enjoyed the cavendish "nut like" flavor that came on strong with the Burley, particularly over the last half of the bowl. The Virginia stayed in the backround from start to finish, but did lend to what I termed a solid "bottom" once I got there.

I've had better tobacco, but I've also had a lot worse. The 50g tin was worth the price. I was reminded of days gone by - good ones, I might add - while smoking this tobacco. I think Grandpa would have enjoyed it, too.

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (52)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

An excellent choice for folks who want a burley blend thats a bit sweet with no Perique. Excellent quality 100% good smokable tobacco without nasty bits to pick out. Very easy to light and smoke hard without any bite. Initial flavor of beer and honey drifts toward popcorn as the bowl is finished. This is an honest medium strength blend, suitable for a medium to large pipe. Very nice with pale beer on a warm day. Excellent aftertaste with a very faint smoky beard note, as if you'd just had a very mild Balkan mix. I could sit on the porch and smoke this wonderful stuff all day!

Pipe Used: MM Great Dane Spool COB

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)

Very relaxing, old fashioned blend. Typical C&D Burley goodness. Sweet, Nutty, Smooth and Strong. The Virginias add a bit of sweet and spicy to the mix while the cavendish smooths it all out making for a relaxing, tasty all day smoke.

Being a burley lover I decided to go through C&D's bulk burley blends and ordered an ounce of this, Big n' Burley and Morley's best. All three are great blends in their own right but as an all day blend Pegasus takes the cake. Very soon after receiving my sample of Pegasus I went online and ordered 4 more ounces. Its that good! Everyday I have at least one bowl of this fantastic burley blend.

Also, the room note is fantastic. The roommates tell me its nutty, smokey and sweet. Like homemade cookies with a pipe smoke smell (obviously).

This blend has also been a huge help for me trying to cut back and eventually quite the cigarette smoking. Smoking a bowl of this on my way to work instead of two or three cigarettes has really made the cab of my truck smell amazing! but for those trying the pipe to quite cigarettes I'd advise you NOT to inhale your pipe. 1 that defeats the purpose of losing the nicotine dependency and 2, blends like this one will destroy your throat if your brave enough to inhale! Pipe smoking is about sitting back, relaxing and enjoying the flavors of your tobacco. and for that Pegasus is, in my opinion among the best of the best.

This blend is nicely balanced between the Burleys and the Virginias. Can't say that I noticed the Black Cavendish. Nice body, nice flavor, and satisfying. I like it for an occasional treat.

UncleSquinty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleSquinty (27)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

From reading the description I had high hopes that this one would be my All Day Buddy. Except for one significant characteristic of this blend, it would have been.

Flavorful is the word. Burley is IMHO more of an aroma absorber, much as tofu tastes of the food with which it is cooked. Yes, there is sometimes a semi-sweet, nutty or bready taste... and as often with inferior burleys, graphite dust and Marlboro ashes.

Enter Pegasus on hyperbolic wings. Strong as the mythical flying horse...and therein lies the problem: The stuff is too strong to be smoked bowl after bowl all day long.

Friends, I am a nicotine junkie with the tolerance of ten mortal men. I eat Irish Flake like cornflakes for breakfast. (exagerration for effect...), and this delicious, devious mixture impresses me.

I never smoked Bond Street, although I remember the name. The room note of this is classic "cool old guy in the barbershop puffing on his old Kaywoodie" smell, nostalgic, clean, slightly sweet and definitely tobacco-masculine. It nowadays would be found to be offensive to the tender millenial nose.

Moisture and cut are flawless, ensuring a fabulous burn. In my M.M. Country Gentleman Oakwood a loosely packed bowl required only one light after the charring light to burn the tobacco down to soft ash. No relights were required. In a large '70's vintage meer billiard, results were identical. In a group 1 Stonehaven pocket pipe as well. Light tamping and a regular but relaxed puffing cadence were the only other requisites.

Taste to me was a very rounded burley with a surprisingly strong bottom note. The white burley and perhaps, the cubed are more than a bit bitter, and the dark burley softens the bite, yielding a buttery note to the nutty overall profile. The Virginias are used with wise restraint and in good taste, sweetening but also freshening the smoke and giving it further tenor notes. The alto section, unsweetened black cavendish is ridiculously small but softens the more strident sopranos in the burley section.

This is delicious from first puff to last spark, especially if a regulated and soft smoking style is maintained. Yes, this will get ashy and bitter if overworked, but soft smokers will be rewarded by overall continuity of flavor punctuated with subtle variations as the cavendish and Virginia bits are encountered.

Great DGT tobacco, although can taste a bit more ashen and burnt if not ignited with care.

I am certain that I could add something to this to dilute the nicotine a bit and turn it into an all-day smoke, but I wouldn't. This tobacco is a true 4/4 stars blend that is perfect as blended. A reasonable pairing might be with a light ale or pilsner.

Pipe Used: M.M. Country Gent, meer billiard, briar

Age When Smoked: Fresh from bulk

Purchased From: Online

StevieB (1981)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Cornell & Diehl - Pegaus.

Aside from a few chunky bits of black Cavendish the blend's been pretty well broken. There's nothing special about the pouch-note, and the moisture's great.

The flavour depends on how you load: if you want it sweet put more of the few black Cavendish pieces in, or less for a savoury smoke. This is based on my method of just randomly stuffing some in. The initial quarter is mainly Burley, with the others joining in a little later. When they join the pack I'm surprised to get more vanilla from the black Cavendish than the appearance suggested I would.

Now a few negatives: it burns too warm, and also too fast. And then, towards the end of my first bowl I noticed the bite from it.

The nicotine's medium, and the room-note's tolerable at best.

Not the best I've had from C+D:

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Christmas 2014 #03

Age When Smoked: One month

Purchased From: 4noggins

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (217)

The third blend in what I refer to as "Bob Runowski's Holy Trinity." Pegasus is an enjoyable smoke, although after indulging myself with Haunted Bookshop and Old Joe Krantz, I must admit that I miss having a little perique tucked in with my burley. The flavor of Pegasus is most certainly burley driven; it’s nutty, earthy and slightly sour with touch of bitterness. The Virginia does add a delicate natural sweetness to the mix and the Cavendish gracefully softens the edges.

There's an excellent balance of bite free flavor here and just like Haunted Bookshop, the more I smoke this blend, the more I want to smoke it. Pegasus does have a bit of a kick to it, but this is a nice starter mixture for anyone looking for good ol' fashioned sweet tobacco flavor. A perfect blend for a well seasoned cob.

Pipe Used: Cob & Briar

fogpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fogpipe (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was prompted to register by seeing this tobacco had only 3.3 stars. Pegasus is my everday go to tobacco. Great burley with just the right amount of sweetness added by the va and cavendish. Its an exceptional smoke new but with a few months of age gets even better. "Hits the spot" for me almost everytime.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)

This blend from start to finish was a great smoke. It was medium bodied, and I would be very hesitant to call it an aromatic. Don't get me wrong, this blend does smell amazing.

The taste throughout was just a great Burley blend. There was a few hints of Virginia, but not much. The cavendish was unnoticeable, but made it a great full smoke that burned evenly.

Not much else to say, a great blend.

Pipe Used: AKB Freehand Meerschaum, Peterson System (Bent)

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Ryepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ryepipe (19)

I did not mean to age this blend intentionally. It didn't get on base with the first few pipefuls nor did it strike out. It got 'archived'/bottom of the piled. Every now and then I'll sit on my deck with a handful of pipes and a pile of tobaccos and conduct a tongue-fry festival with a review of blends. This time the Peg pegged it. I like a bit of sweetness, I do not appreciate most true (black cav based) aro's, many straight Va's with high sugar bbq my taste buds. I like burley blends. If this sounds like your profile, you like burley's plus 'something', this will make you a happy camper. I wouldn't recommend puffing on it like a Wagnerian tuba player but shy of that you'll still be able to enunciate clearly with no problem. Highly recommended.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (303)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I have been a huge fan of Bob's blends since the early 2000's and was really saddened at his passing, but like all legends, his blends live on for future generations to enjoy. Pegasus came packaged dry with the usual C&D Burley rough cuts (wild cuts) and a fresh hay, almost vegetal aroma in the tin, no aromatic essence whatsoever. Whereas OJK and Haunted Bookshop can beat you up with their Burley and Perique 1-2 punch, Pegasus keeps things subdued with the addition of unflavored Cavendish. The Burleys, Virginia and Cavendish all work in harmony to make a Medium strength Burley blend that has an OK room note but not one in which you will win any friends within smelling distance. I think Haunted Bookshop could benefit from having a little of this Cavendish added or perhaps adding a little Perique to Pegasus, either way I feel I am missing a little spice in this blend but it is pretty good otherwise.

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (36)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I have tried most of the C&D burley blends, but I left this one out until now because I usually do not care for cavendish. This blend, though, is really very nice. It's predominantly a burley taste, but the Virginias are definitely there. The cavendish does just what it is supposed to do and smooths the whole blend together beautifully. There are no rough edges on this one. It's a pleasant smoke from top to bottom, and leaves only a little white ash when it's gone. Highly recommended.

Edited 11 Feb 2010:

Four years later and this blend has only improved in my estimation. The thick, silky mouth feel that the cavendish provides is what sets this blend apart from other C&D burley blends. And, at the same time, it maintains the nutty burley taste that I love and never seem to tire of. This one stays at four stars for me.

OhioTony76 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OhioTony76 (55)

Pegasus isn't complex, and I don't think it’s intended to be either. I held off on doing a review for a while because I wanted to really "get" the blend. The other reviews here are pretty high, so I thought I was missing something. In the end, Pegasus simplicity is its highest attribute. I believe it was blended to be an all day smoke, and all day smokes are seldom complex powerhouses. It's burley forward, and has a nice medium earthiness with some light pepper spice to keep it interesting. The pepper could be mistaken for a touch of perique, but it’s probably the dark burley tobacco. The cavendish is detectable, and adds a mild toastiness that always reminds me of a burnt marshmallow. The cavendish also does a lot to improve the room note. Nicotine is not overpowering, especially for an C&D burley offering. Which makes this a great all day smoke in my opinion.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (322)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Update: All-Time-Favorite, this has grown to become MY smoke! More than 90% of the time I smoke Pegasus.. it really just is everything I want in a burley blend, period.

Preface

Now I see why it deserves a rather remarkably good ratio between 1/2- and 3/4-star ratings and so many positive and even raving reviews - but at the same time ask myself why it isn't one of C&D most successful Burleys? What else to say about a blend that does offer a wonderful collection of well written reviews, hitting the nail on the head for this blend to my perception! That's why I'd like to start my review with a quote by one of the reviews I've read:

[...]here are a few layers of flavor within pegasus but by and large my palate is stricken with that of a bag of walnuts. Within a bag of walnuts there are many flavors depending on the nut. Some nuts are sweet, some meaty, and some carry the sharp flavor of the shell. Every now and then the VA and Cavendish blend to convey almost a cornmeal or sweet bran like flavor but is not a theme." Very, very well put... unknown deleted user!

I'd like to add the icing of whipped cream that wriggles through the tobacco beautifully.

Delving into the a tub of burley goodness..

The tin note is very mellow and almost "shy", and when first opening the tin it might be a bit sour-ish.. I prefer packing the 2oz of a freshly opened tin in my jar for daily use, which is "semi-airtight" and therefor let's the tobacco "breathe"

No "flavor explosion", just a very comforting and soothing, warm scent of mostly mahogany tobacco leafs. I really have to dip my nose into the tin, to get those notes that remind me of Haunted Bookshop quite a bit - at least in the tin note! A creamy and remarkably smooth nuttiness hits me first, before I pick up those lovely oat-y, bread-y and bran-y qualities so many seem to savour about this blend. Walnuts and oat-bars hit the spot just fine! And what a bag of nuts this is... oh, what a fine flap jack, just as mamma used to never make them for me.. ;-P

Take a sit on the front porch I never had, the sun is setting already, work is done.. time for the finer things in life! Grab a guitar, tickle the strings and let the sound of the strings swinging tickle your ears and soul....

This front porch jam begins with a mild and pleasing sharpness (if you, like me, love this kind of rustic flavors), yet quickly the wonderful toasty and spicy-tart character of this blend steps up.. mhm, delicious! Loads of oat, again mammas flap jacks she never made for me, some dark bread, a richly filled bag of nuts - especially walnuts but also what reminds me of pecan if I let my imagination flow free. Paired with a pleasing spiciness that's "sweet spot" for me and the everpresent slight sharp edge I love about me burleys... oh, and of course loads, loads of cozy-warm earthiness which set the foundation, the tone, the bass for the flavor-profile!

...while at the same time offering an incredible, almost buttery creaminess and smoothness that's always underlying and underscoring to the flavors offered by the burleys. That very creamy quality amazes me and keeps me coming back! Bringin in those sweet licks that make you shiver with goosebumps. Very smooth on the tounge and palate, whilst offering a full-bodied and rather "rustic charme" of natural burley goodness. Only very mild sweetness, but what's there is just enough to bring balance to the force and I suppose it contributes to the lovely room note just as the speckles of creamy and unsweetened cavendish.

Afterthoughts of a Front Porch Picker and Pegasus Sipper..

Oh, but.. All-Day-Burley? As close as a C&D Burley Blend get's to "All-Day-ish".... ;-) It is rather stout, also in the nicotine departement.. but for a C&D burley blend, yes it is All-Day....ish! I smoke it 2 times a day in smaller to medium sized cobs, that's sweet spot for me.

Leaves a sensual after taste in your mouth, teasing me to load up bowl after bowl, totally forgetting about any other blend I used to like so much and frequently... Pegasus outruns them all for me! The Cavendish is what gives it it's aromatic-sweet and creamy qualities I suppose, it's a masterpiece!

As for flavoring I'm quite confused many of you rated it as "Very Mild". I feel the Cavendish is unflavored and at max. the burley's got a (exceptionally) mild nutty-ish and creamy-ish casing? So I'll settle for "extremely mild", yet underscore, that - if there's added flavors, they are only to round the tobacco's qualities off to perfection and underscore the rich flavors they offer!

Thanks Bob.. you the man when it comes to Burleys, I appreciate and feel you feel, or sadly felt (RIP) the same passion for this leaf which I've grown to love and savour so much.

Similar Blends: If you like blends like Haunted Bookshop or the Burley Flakes by C&D, this will be up your alley!.

Sheldon Richman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sheldon Richman (14)

I am liking this immensely. Nice and tangy. I've heard it likened to Haunted Bookshop (which I don't love) without the perique. I do like perique, however. At any rate, this is very tasty stuff.

PS: I now like Haunted Bookshop.

Pipe Used: Mr Brog no. 39 and others

Purchased From: I forget

Similar Blends: I've heard it likened to Haunted Bookshop..

CherchezLaghost Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CherchezLaghost (52)

A remarkable tobacco. I cannot say enough good things about this blend; however if you pick it up and expect to have a reveletory experience you are likely to be disappointed. My love of this blend grew slowly into the steadfast one i now feel. I like the genre of american style burley. I more often than not like the blending of C&D. So i expected to like this blend. However, i didn't so much, initially.

I mostly smoke burleys from smallish cobs. At the match there is an astringency that i didn't expect. To borrow a phrase from another reviewer, i tasted the hull of walnuts. Tannin heavy and a bit rough. This never entirely disappears, but it does soften and weave in and out of the smoke. And the flavor deepens, always with the rough edge present, to include very slight wisps of sweetness from both va and the cavendish. It is a deep, rough, barely sweet flavor that is remarkably walnut-ey. And that's it. Unpleasant as it initially was to me, i began to desire it throughout the day. I am a smoker who indulges his desires. More and more often i desired the experience and flavor. It does have depth and nuance too, it is just all crammed into a bassy spectrum. When at a smolder in a larger than average bowl, it satisfies something for me that few other blends do. I truly find it exceptional, roughness and all. Has a decent (medium) amount of nicotine. Excellent stuff. Don't be put off by the inclusion of cavendish or the name Pegasus. This is a burly burley for a burly pipe urge itchin.

Pipe Used: Cobs, briars

Age When Smoked: New to 6 months

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (87)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Another great blend from the late Bob Runowski, Pegasus is a solid old-school Burley blend with enough of a nic hit to satisfy. Burley, Virginia, and unflavored black Cavendish meld together in a hearty smoke that I've found that I enjoy quite a bit. A little bitter Burley, a little toasty Cavendish, and a nice sweetness from the Virginias.

This blend is not even close to being complex, but its charm is its simplicity. A great smoke for when you just want to puff away and not preoccupy yourself with the nuances of tobaccos, which I've found is what I seem to prefer in a tobacco. I still like to play detective with my pipe tobaccos sometimes, but mostly I just enjoy the act of puffing away absent mindedly or while doing yard work.

If you like Burleys, this is an excellent tobacco to give a shot. If you're on the fence, the Virginias give it enough sweetness to keep you interested. If you're not one of the former two, why aren't you? :-)

ADDENDUM: This tobacco has nowhere to go but upwards! I have a couple of pounds in Mason jars and after three years aging it becomes almost magical. The Burleys settle down and the Virginias improve greatly. I cannot overstate how much aging improves this tobacco. Many thanks to Craig Tarler and Bob Runowski. May you both rest in peace and wait for me with my grandfather by the streams of Paradise while we fish for trout and smoke this amazing pipe tobacco

Pipe Used: Custom-Bilts, mainly

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (96)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I've recently been in a "hold the latakia" phase. Maybe it's the Summer weather that drives me to Burley blends, maybe it's just that I like 'em. I believe it's a given that C&D are one of the premier blenders of Burleys and I tried this one out after pouring through reviews, looking at component tobaccos, etc. hunting for blends that featured Burley along with VA. Perique, and perhaps other condimentals...but NO LATAKIA. An innocent little tin of 'Exhausted Rooster' kicked me into gear. If you haven't tried it and you have any affection for Perique, then you need to get some ASAP. THIS one (Pegasus) was purchased via an online sale in an 8 oz. tin on the basis of reviews here. To my delight, the tin I got was put up in September of '07. Nice! (I got another tin, of VA Gentleman in the same order that was put together in March of '06!) You can read other reviews here for the nitty gritty of this or that nuance...it's all pretty personal or often depends on the pipe in which it's smoked. But this is certainly a high quality, well flavored blend that should suit the likes of Burley smokers. Of special note to me is that in some ways it mirrors the flavors found in Edegworth Ready Rubbed, but smokes cleaner in my experience. Some have commented on what might be a flavoring added...it's slight, and if anything it reminds me of dark molassas...adding to the deep Burley flavor in a very positive way. Call it a semi-aromatic if you will. To me, there are a number of Semi's out there in which the added flavoring enhances the tobacco blend in question - a whisper as opposed to a shout - this is one of those cases. Burley usually needs SOMETHING added to get it off the ground a bit, asside from the high quality tobaccos used this one was designed with a deft hand.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (73)

Wow! This surprised me. I bought an 8oz tin on description alone and really like it as a go to blend at any time of the day. Great aroma, perfect burn, flavor that is nutty with a faint background sweetness. I will be devouring this over the summer and will definitely be stocking some for the future. Great price too for the half pound tin.

Clarkus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clarkus (32)

I’m not going to go into all the descriptives of this blend as they have already been stated but simply as a blend as a whole. It is the best Burley blend I have ever had in my 52 years of pipe smoking.

Pipe Used: Briars, Meerschaum & Cob

Purchased From: The Pipe Nook

Similar Blends: The only OTC I can think of with some, Similarity is perhaps Half &, Half..

Emeritus Account (29765)

I like this blend. This is a nice chewy tobacco...by this I mean it had great mouth feel, it wasn't flat at all, I knew I was smoking something and felt the substantial quality of the smoke. C&D only uses distilled water to hydrate their tobacco so this was not flavored by any humectant and it arrived more on the dry side. It had a nice mildly sweet aroma that mixed well with some nuttiness and slight haylike character. The Burlies and Virginias are quite well balanced and the Black Cav. lends something, but not much since there just isn't much in the tin. Nicotine content is moderate and when I puffed on some of the Pegasus in the early morning it was definitely an eye opener and helped me get moving, in many respects (grin). Moderate volume of smoke, burns pretty well. This is a broad ribbon-like cut so it tends to burn quickly but if you are partial to a burely blend with a moderate kick and some sweetness that is not overdone at all...give this a try. Hell you'll probably give it a try anyway if you are obsessed with trying new blends and on the persistent hunt for your tobacco "Holy Grail".

Pappy1975 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pappy1975 (8)

Just a hint of subtle sweetness, mainly from the cavendish, which offers a very slight molasses taste. The virginias are grassy with a little citrusy sweetness that increases with age. The plain good old fashioned tobacco taste of the burley is nutty and earthy. The symphony reminds me of whole wheat toast. Great with black coffee. This is one fine tobacco blend (if you like codger/burley blends) The nicotine is medium, noticeable enough, but by no means strong. Burns cool and slow and wouldn’t dream of biting. I really love this stuff. This one's in my regular rotation. I slightly prefer Haunted Bookshop over Pegasus. The two blends are similar. Pegasus is a little sweeter. HB is a bit stronger and more peppery. I keep a stock of both in my cellar.

Pipe Used: Many

Age When Smoked: New and up to two years old

Similar Blends: Haunted Bookshop.

BryGuySC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BryGuySC (26)

I smoked this one blind, having no foreknowledge of what to expect. From the onset, this one struck me as spicy and a little bit brash. It didn’t exactly bite, but it was hot and “rough” in my mouth. I figured there was burley in it. I picked up some nuttiness and spice. I was certain this was a burley/virginia blend with a good dose of perique. I was surprised to find there was no perique, as the spiciness did not go away at all. There were a few hints of sweetness (from the black cav) and a woody note that I picked up occasionally.

Not a bad smoke at all. It may not react well with me particularly, as it is a little rough in the back of my throat, even after I am done with it. If you are a burley fan, especially C&D burleys, give this one a shot.

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (109)

This is an awesome burley-based blend. Not quite a set and forget blend for me, when I pay attention is when I see this tobaccos charm most. The three burleys are nutty and toasty with oats. The Virginia is bright and grassy sweet. I get a honey sweetness from the black cavendish which brings the whole blend together. I taste honey-nut cheerios when I smoke this one. Great combustability, room note, and consistent flavor.

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (145)

I generally do not smoke burley blends. They are generally too bland for my taste. I purchased a bag of this from Smoking pipe. The bag indicated that it had been blended at least a year ago.

The Virginias played very well together, adding delicious and delightfully delicate flavor I found uniquely distinct . I cannot remember a Burley blend I ever enjoyed as much as this one in my 35 plus years of pipe smoking.

My only regret with this blend is I only bought one pound.

Pipe Used: Savenelli Champagne

Age When Smoked: 1year

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

Cappadoc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cappadoc (9)

A tour de force of burleys! A fairly sour taste- in a pleasant way- that I crave almost daily. Medium in strength, strong in flavor. A consistent easy burning blend with sourness increasing throughout the bowl. Nutty and sweet as well. Can get ashy at the bottom of a large bowl if ash is not dumped. Perfect in a cob with coffee.

Pipe Used: Cobs mostly, but also shines in medium briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh to 1 year

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I bought a small 2 ounce sample as I work my way through Runowski C&D blends and I also wished to explore something non-flavored that was not a VaPer or Latakia based. If C&D did not already have a former blend named "Americana" that would have been an appropriate name for Pegasus. For those times when I want something mellow (i.e.; not wishing to wrestle with Old Joe K.) I load a cob of this up. It is pleasantly full flavored - a flavor of TOBACCO. A perfect light and forget smoke. The burleys are well behaved, the Virginias noticeable without being too sweet, and the black cavendish supports both by filling the smoke and keeping the rest in line. I have not even jarred up this small amount but keep it in a rollup pouch with a humi-coin for those times when I am smoking away from home among non-smoking company. My wife says it smells good. She rarely complains but then she rarely comments either way. With Pegasus the response was unsolicited. I just might re-purchase and thereby (by my rating system) kick this to a 4 star blend.

Pipe Used: Corncobs

Age When Smoked: new production

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Pegasus will definetly give you the jolt of burley and enough sweetness to satisfy anyone. If you like Old Joe Krantz or Riverboat Gambler, this is a must try blend. Another perfect recipe!

Very Strong Medium Full Tolerable

Absolutely delicious. I am not a burley fan, but this blend is terrific. Upon opening the tin, I am greeted by a delightful mix of burleys and Virginias with a little black Cavendish peppered in for good measure. The smell is of brown sugar and bread.

I must say that age has not made a great difference here. I have not noticed a change over the year that this tin has been opened. It has always packed well and lit easily. The taste has been consistent as well.

After a charring light, I am greeted by a stiff kick in the chops. Wow. You?d better be seated for this one.

Pencil lead dominates the taste, but the burley adds an almost perfect touch of sweetness. The Cavendish adds to the sweetness and the body. That being said, the finish is a little flat and bitter. How disappointing. Smooth out the finish and this would easily be a 4 star blend. Too bad.

UPDATE========

Age makes all the difference. It's like aging fine wine. Here she is. 1 year old and 4 of 4 stars.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Age really made a difference here. When I opened a tin that was 18 months old, I ended up enjoying a very robust, smooth, and nutty mix of tobaccos. It wasn't spectacular, but it was very nice and I'm looking forward to finishing up the other tins I've got buried in my cellar. One caveat: I don't know why, but this time around Pegasus struck me as being almost a mild aromatic. There was a lot of sweetness and the roomnote reminded me a little bit of vanilla. Even more surprising, it left a pronounced "ghost" in the briar I smoked it in. This was easily eliminated with a few bowls of Prince Albert and Morley's Best, but it was nonetheless a surprise. I wonder if this batch didn't end up with a little more Black Cavendish than the first one had.

Original review (09/15/2007): I was looking forward to this for two reasons. First, I'm a big fan of C&D burley blends. Second, based on the reviews on this site, I figured it would be something I'd really enjoy. But I found this just didn't have enough flavor for me -- it struck me as utterly nondescript and dull, and it also bit me. The quality of the tobaccos seems to be excellent, however, and obviously a lot of people like it, so I might just be the odd man out on this one. I would highly recommend this blend if you like Haunted Bookshop (another blend I find to be too bland), as this strikes me as a sweetened version of it.

Medium Very Mild Very Full Tolerable

Be aware up front in this review that I am an unabashed fan of Bob Runowski blends. Morley's Best was the tobacco that really converted me over to burleys and the following blends (Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz) only made the bond stronger. Craig Tarler also deserves some credit for this by faithfully reproducing the blends Bob designs.

Now I have a pound of Pegasus, his rendition of the old Bond St. tobacco, of which I never partook. The thing that sets this one apart from its' siblings is the sweetness, which I believe comes from the VAs (although the Cavendish undoubtably has a small part in this, too). It's a delightful contrast to the bitterness of some burley blends. Behind that, though, it's still the toasted nuttiness of burley that runs the show.

Pegasus seems not to be picky about pipe size and lights and burns exceptionally well. For me this is an especially good early morning smoke, when I may not be ready to deal with the heavier notes of something like Morley's.

After significant increases in the price of tobacco, C&D have finally broken the $30/lb. mark on their bulk blends. This was probably inevitable and is not nearly as bad as the rise in (for example) gasoline prices over the last six years.

Scores on Pegasus; flavor- 17 of 20; lighting and burn- 9 of 10; value- 8 of 10. a 34 overall earns Pegasus a ** rating.

Emeritus Account (29765)

This is one of C&D's "American Classics", so called to honor the great blends in the American tradition. Well done! The rough cut burns cool and even, and the flavor a wonderful balance of nutty burley harmonized with tangy virginia. The cavendish provides some extra depth, doing for Pegasus what triple ligero leaf does for a cigar, that is providing the bass note. The quality of the tobaccos, the proportions used, the burn, and the overall satisfaction IMO earn this blend four stars. This is a world class blend.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Pegasus is the epitome of the "all-day smoke," whatever that might be. Made of three burleys, two Virginias, and a pinch of unsweetened black cavendish, it tastes of natural tobacco, with a blend of burley strength and natural Virginia sweetness. It is piquant and mild, burns better than any tobacco I've ever put in my pipe (I don't say this lightly), and doesn't bite a bit.

I don't know how similar it is to the original Bond Street, but on its own terms, this is great stuff. It will make you happy as you create those delicious clouds of smoke, smolder without needing many relights, and please those around you. And it's mild enough to smoke bowl after bowl. What's not to like?

Emeritus Account (29765)

Pegasus is a wonderfully full blend, with a good, stout, nutty body from the three burleys. Plenty of nicotine, plenty of great taste. The Virginias and black cav provide just the right amount of sweetness to make it a nice sweet change from the "straight" burley taste (which I also love). It is definitely NOT an aromatic, at least not in the sense of having any topping that I can detect. A good, straight forward, all-tobacco taste and smell. Simply delightful in my book, I definitely give this one 4 out of 4 stars.

This blend definitely gets better with age, the jar I just finished was 16 months old, and was significantly better than the "fresh" sample I tried, though it was still good... this one truly becomes GREAT with age!!

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (190)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I guess I’m late to the party for Pegasus, having just recently purchased a bulk ounce that filled an 8 oz. jar with fragrant, soft, moist golden and medium brown ribbons, along with some black bits, all ready for smoking. Bag note is mild, delectable, meadow grassy and woody, with very faint molasses, a trace of cocoa, and maybe a breath of anise. It handles, loads, lights and smokes down like a dream, and there’s plenty of smoke. I went with the late blender, Bob Runowski’s written suggestion and smoked it first tamped into a large pot, then I tried it in other pipes I use for similar blends, including other BR blends. And Bob was/is right, it’s better in a larger bowl with not so much in the way of tamping. IMO, Pegasus is another Artful Codger from C&D, and in this case it improves significantly on its cited OTC inspiration, Bond Street. Generally speaking, whatever else is in Pegasus takes a backseat to Burley, and, sure enough, bitterness is a significant factor here. For me, this only improves the blend, overall, although others, especially newbies, might find that this bitterness rises to a fault. Countering this, either the VAs are very sweet, or some of the tobacco is cased, as Pegasus is also sweet (although it’s not sweet enough to cancel the bitters). The smooth, unsweetened black Cavendish is actually a little sour, like some Latakia, without being at all smoky. Back to the combusting scents and tastes, it’s woody like faint burning fruit woods and incense woods, with fresh, dried hay, nutty, sweet, sour and bitter, only very slightly musty/mushroom-y, with just a little of the cocoa common to Burley, and a very faint bit of brown bread. Mouth feel is terrific, and I find it takes literally no effort at all to get a great smoke from Pegasus, which makes it the perfect blend to puff while strolling or just lolling around. I can see where codgers would buy this blend in bulk. Strength ramps up smoothly from soft and mild, through and past medium, with the nicotine being ample but not at all intrusive. Tastes also build from very soft and mild to past medium. The room note smells wonderful to me, but based on experience I would say it’s just tolerable for bystanders, as there is no aromatic artifice to win anyone over. The best-of-the-smoke-but-sweeter aftertaste makes me think immediately of another bowl.

I’d say Pegasus is brilliant, but that might put too fine a point on a blend that IMO perfectly fulfills its mission to please, comfort and satisfy the smoker. If you’re weary, put your feet up, kick back and puff a bowl from your favorite grizzled pot. 4 stars, and RIP, Bob Runowski.

Pipe Used: larger Burley blend briars

Age When Smoked: unknown

Gr8tefuldawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gr8tefuldawg (63)

Cornell and Diehl- Pegasus

Consisting of burley, Va’s and some black Cavendish, this blend smokes easily and stays cool, the flavors meld together well to form a great full body taste.

The blend comes dry enough to smoke right out of the tin, I’ve packed it a little looser than usual and I think this has helped to get more pronounced flavor out of the various components.

Tin is from 30sep19, upon first light I get a great burley nuttiness with slight spice most likely from the burley as I can find no Perique in the blend. The burley and Va’s bring about a nice toasted bready flavor, the cavendish is unsweetened and is their more for body vs flavor, this produces a good amount of smoke

Though not a unicorn blend, it does live up to the name Pegasus, a white horse which soars above other C&D burley forward blends, the mix is just right, and for the price cannot be beat.

Nicotine is medium, flavor is medium to full depending on your preference for tobacco flavor. Burns cleanly and leaves no moisture in the bowl, only re lights are due to my own habits vs the blend.

I’ve come full circle with the burley blends, and have come to enjoy their flavors more so down the road vs when I first started pipe smoking.

With age I think this blend will do well, but also smokes well relatively fresh. Blend I will buy again and keep In the cellar or add to the rotation.

Highly recommend this blend.

Pipe Used: Rossi 320

Age When Smoked: 6.5 months

Purchased From: Tobaccopipes.com

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (274)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

This one I can’t lie, I only had one bowl of this and found it to be a nice Burley blend but cannot extrapolate too much on this one. A good smoke but one I should revisit. I will call this a place holder for now.

Mabus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mabus (1)

Wow what a pleasant smoke. Not overly strong like some Cornell and Diehl burley blends (though I do love me those strong ones too). Burns VERY cool with prodigious amounts of white smoke thanks to the interplay between the burley and the black cavendish. I really find that the unsweetened black cavendish mellows out the burley to give a cool, smooth, satisfying smoke that's not sweet but still mellow and pleasant. I find it has similarities to something like Sir Walter Raleigh without the topping as far as the cool smoke and mild--for a burley--flavor. I've only tried one bowl of it but it's already a favorite. (For reference, Haunted Bookshop is probably my favorite blend overall).

Pipe Used: Basker briar with bent stem

Age When Smoked: Fresh (bulk)

Wulfheard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wulfheard (7)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The aroma of this blend takes me back to my childhood. My grandfather smoked Grainger, my dad smoked Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. I had an uncle that smoked Bond Street. This blend falls right in line with those venerable old classic American O.T.C. tobaccos. The only difference is I think this stuff is a little smoother and it's probably the addition of the black cavendish. When I started smoking a pipe in my teens, I smoked what my dad smoked...I think a lot of us older pipe smokers started that way, so I'm no stranger to burly based tobaccos. This blend is not one of my all day smokes but it is a nice change of pace when I'm feeling a little nostalgic, and I can say with all honesty, that this is a damn good one. It burns clean and consistent from start to finish and never really overpowers the smoker. While it can be a little harsh at times if you are not careful, it has a quality that only an old fashion pipe tobacco can give...it is satisfying like a good cigar and goes well with a nice strong cup of evening coffee. I will definitely keep this on hand right next to my Match Edgeworth Ready Rubbed.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Fresh to aged 1 year

Similar Blends: Edgeworth, Match Bourbon Street..

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (72)

I received this from a friend in the states and reading up on it, it is a very ordinary blend, nothing special smoking wise however it is absolutely sublime. I very well behaved burley forward blend that doesn't over power the addition of unsweetened black Cavendish adds a subtle sweetish flavour that elevates this blend into sublime territory.

Quite flavourful for such a straight forward blend. You have the typical burley cocoa notes and a nice sweetness from the Virginia. Doesn't bite or get hot. Goes beautifully in a country gentleman Cob with a coffee. One of them blends that goes well any time of the day or night with whatever you are drinking or doing. Strength is just short of medium, and leaves quite a pleasant room mote. If you like Carter hall then this is a must try. Even though I like Carter hall for its simplicity this is levels above and is certain to please.

Easily 4 stars earned.

Pipe Used: Country gentleman corn cob

Purchased From: Gift From a friend

haparnold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haparnold (6)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

To my palate, this is a near-perfect no-nonsense burley blend that can hold your interest as an everyday smoke. The nutty/oatmeal burley taste predominates, and is the star player by a mile; I have to really go looking to find any Virginia flavor. The unsweetened black Cavendish helps this burn easier, adds some smoke volume, and probably smoothes out the taste a bit. Requires slightly less than an average number of relights, and easily burns all the way down.

I really think of this blend as a burley blend with a little Virginia and unsweetened black Cavendish to help with the mechanical aspects and round out the flavor. But don't expect scads of Virginia sweetness from this blend, because it just isn't there.

I like this blend a lot, and if it were my only blend, I'd still be a happy smoker. However, I prefer C&D's fairly similar Three Friars by a hair, as the Perique in Three Friars adds some additional interest.

Recommended for beginners or connoisseurs, though I think this would be a perfect introduction to burley if you're coming over from another family of tobacco.

Pipe Used: Various

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl - Three Friars.

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (174)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I like all the components CD uses for their blends, so much so, you gotta be clumsy not to get it right in this rendition, and they are master blenders at CD. This blend is very similar to some of their burley hits or best sellers, but what sets it apart, is the addition of unsweetened back cavendish. If you like their burley blends, you will probably like this medium body blend with nutty and cocoa undertones. The black cavendish is only used sparingly here, and it starts showing up after a while, giving this blend some kind of subdued sweetness that marries quite well with this faint or faded citric backdrop that is obviously coming from the bright virginia leaf it contains. It does not seem to develop a sharp edge the more you progress with your smoke, it is easy on the tongue, and can be smoked all day despite packing a little bit of a punch of vitamin N. I am not a fan of black cavendish, but I like the overall profile of this blend. 4 stars.

gahdzila Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gahdzila (61)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Pegasus presents as a light brown chunky ribbon, with a few black flecks mixed in. Relatively dry, easy to work with, easy to smoke.

The predominant flavor here is clean dry burley. I do occasionally pick up a hint of the sweetness of the black cavendish, but it's faint and not always there. The Virginias don't speak to me at all. In fact, if not for the description, I'd swear there was no Virginia at all.

On paper, it looks like it would be right up my ally. But it just doesn't ring bells for me. Straight nutty burley, a bit too heavy in flavor, virtually no sweetness, dry and astringent. I don't find it offensive, and I keep trying out small samples in hopes that it will grow on me, but it just doesn't rock my world.

J. Ward Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J. Ward (57)

Nutty, toasty Burleys take center stage, supported by a bit of earthiness and hay from the Virginias. I don't pick up much sweetness at all from this blend, the Cavendish mostly serving to smooth out this tasty blend. There's a bit of pepper past mid bowl. A tad dry, packs well, and the Nic hit is a good notch or two above medium. Again, very tasty, pure tobacco taste. A great Burley blend. Recommended.

Pipe Used: Briars and Cobs

Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

After aging my tin for 3 years my first couple of bowls were surprising in the sense that I felt confident that this would be a favorite. Right off the bat I found Pegasus to be more of an aromatic than a Runowski burley blend. Despite our political differences [I'm a progressive that's left of FDR, more like Elenore ;-)], I love just about everything Morleysson ever blended; don't tell anyone, but through emails and postings on various chat groups I even like Bob personally. :-) For reference, Haunted Bookshop is in my top 5 blends; and I consider myself a burleyphile, favoring Solani ABF and Edgworth Sliced over Edgeworth RR and Prince Albert. Bob's blending has turned me on to an era of pipe smoking that I missed.

First of all, Pegasus bit my tongue, something only cheap aromatics do to me. I can smoke McClelland Virginias all day without tongue bite; I'm a pretty slow smoker. While coming in perfect humidification right out of the tin, I let it breathe for 3 months with the plastic lid on. Finally I've transferred it to a Mason jar. Last night I finished the evening with a couple of bowls and this morning I've started my day with a few more bowls of Pegasus. In two of my coolest smoking pipes the bowls got very hot. While not terribly uncomfortable, this third bowl is causing my tongue some sensitivity that could get worse if I'm not careful. The burn is fair. If I pack it with care I can smoke through without a relight, but my pipe's bowl gets hotter than I prefer. Could that be caused by the wide cut of Pegasus? The taste is pretty good, perhaps a little sweeter than I prefer. My beef here is that I think the Cavandish is overpowering the burley's nutty flavor that I love so much. As one of the previous reviewers said Pegasus has a "chewy mouth feel" that I do like and a lovely room-note. Moreover, it's made of terrific leaf.

I will finish this tin and see if Pegasus grows on me. Perhaps I'll even get another tin. I would hate to miss out on the experiences my fellow reviewers have so adoringly described. I really am surprised this isn't more to my liking.

The Hun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Hun (35)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I find little to be enamored of in this blend. Although it smokes coolly, the smoke is dry in my mouth. A draft of Pegasus is like drawing in a mouthful of unscented talcum powder. I taste nothing but dry.

Pegasus stays lit well and smokes to an ash with no dottle. Nicotine is medium and the room note is tolerable. I taste neither black cavendish nor virginia. Dry, dry, dry.

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: various

Age When Smoked: fresh from bulk

Amsteracqua Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amsteracqua (24)

For me this tobacco are always a good choice, because it's honest. It have a good body and can be smoked any time during the day. your smell are smooth and when you buy (I bought 2oz) this tobacco the moisture are right in the perfect point to smoking. Ideal for begginers and for that smokers more experimented.

WolfmanSam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WolfmanSam (37)

This burley forward blend consists mainly of light to dark brown ribbons, with a small amount of unflavored black cavendish. I taste, oats, nuts, hay, and has a mild sweetness to it. I do not detect any topping. It’s cool, dry and never harsh. I’ve smoked it in various briars and cobs. It’s plain, mild, natural, and works well as an all day smoke. I recommend it to any newbies or burley lovers.

Age When Smoked: Fresh and 4 years

1979 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1979 (62)

Cornell & Diehl - Pegasus

Admittedly I don't do a lot of burley blends but this one is my favorite.

After it's been in the jar for a couple months and I crack that jar open and take a deep whiff, it smells like homemade chicken noodle soup with carrots and celery.

This blend contains no added sweetness or flavors that I can find. The burleys are earth and nuts, slightly more earth I'd say. Also a bit of wood, birch is where I'd put that one.  The virginia adds it's sweetness but little to no twang.  The black cav is slight in amount, I'm not sure I taste it but I imagine it smooths the edge out some.  There is still a little bit of edge to this blend.  To me it seems like the burley dominates for the first half of the bowl while the virginia becomes more assertive in the second half.  From time to time I taste what I'd liken to corn flakes and rarely a slight taste of dill weed.  I have a pretty high tolerance for vitamin n but the first time I smoked a bowl of Pegasus it almost pushed me down much to my surprise.

This is a fabulous example of what quality burleys, devoid of toppings chemical or otherwise, can do. Highly recommended.

North by North Best Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
North by North Best (5)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I bought this tobacco in bulk two years ago expecting a sweet, nutty burley blend that would be an all day smoke. What I got was an acrid, cigaretty tasting smoke that I immediately consigned to the back of my cellar, thinking that I would never return. Two years went by and I eventually tried it again... Lo and behold, I found a sweet nutty burley blend, an all day smoke. Lesson learned. If you buy this blend in bulk, jar and age. You will be rewarded with a smooth, semi-sweet nutty blend, with a nice N punch.

Similar Blends: Peterson 3P.

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (170)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I've been a big fan of C&D's Old Joe Krantz. Its the perfect driving on a long trip tobacco. Pease's Cumberland is good too. This is just personal. Dan Tobacco's Mellow Mallard (straight virginia) is another easy to smoke blend but with enough nic hit ( in mallard its barely enough, but its there). C&D's Crooner is fine if you like deer tongue. But Pegasus might be my new favorite. Ive been partial to un cased black cavendish in other blends but its very pronounced here. The virginia's are in the background and taste like the sort C&D use a lot. Its got a medium nic nit. Not nearly what OJK is, but this is a very very very easy to smoke and fine tasting blend. Its one of those tobacco blends you simply do not get tired of. I like Pease's Montgomery for example. But you just cant smoke it all the time. Im not sure how that works, the psychology of taste, but some blends one can love.....just not all the time. This is an all time tobacco but not bland. Macbaren's My Mixture is a good all the time blend...but its bland. And there is little nic hit. Its delicious, and i keep a tin around but i dont smoke it as often as i might think. The burley here is nutty...like OJK...and the cavendish is mildly earthy, nut like, but more walnut than cashew as it were. The whole thing is just wonderful. A great everyday blend of great quality and it also holds its taste start to finish. In fact thats one of the best qualities of Pegasus. It is totally consistent.

Purchased From: 4noggins

bent_bulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent_bulldog (6)

I was curious of mostly-burley blends and ordered a sample of Pegasus with an order.

1st bowl: Hmm, that was very satisfying. 2nd bowl: Man, this is a good blend! 3rd bowl: I love this blend!

Like others have said, it grows on you. I highly recommend it if you like burley, the tin(bag) note is very enticing, it's very easy to pack and light. It produces nice chunky smoke and has some strength, although I find it less strong than other C&D burleys.

Pipe Used: Cobs, Savinelli 311KS

Theosprey247 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theosprey247 (73)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

Pegasus is a very popular blend in the same "family" as Haunted Bookshop and OJK, but much less nicotine than either. It's a nice burley blend with a little virginia and unsweetened cavendish thrown in. IMO those two tobaccos don't take the edge off the burley enough. You are left left with a slightly harsh tasting smoke. Good for mixing with aromatics.

Pipe Used: Briars

Similar Blends: SWR but without the sweetness.

Emeritus Account (29765)

UPDATE: In an effort to even out my reviews providing more useful and honest information, I'm updating my review of Pegasus. Like Crooner, this blend is in a very difficult category, the semi-aromatic burley. While this is probably the best of the breed that I have sampled, it still is what it is. It smokes quite a bit smoother than some of the genre (which typically turn into horribly bitey, diluted burlies and/or horrible aromatics). Pegasus is guilty of none of the aforementioned charges it just seems a bit timid for my tastes. When stacked up against Old Joe Krantz, my current front runner, it just can't compete. It's quite like comparing apples and oranges I know but to my tastes, Pegasus will only occassionally have guest appearances in my rotation.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: Every once in a while, you encounter a blend like Pegasus and why you smoke a pipe becomes very clear. I have to be honest right up front and say that initially, Pegasus was one of those blends that just didn't grab me. I couldn't point to anything wrong with it but it just didn't grab me right up front. But anyone that has smoked a pipe for any length of time knows that there are three kinds of pipe tobacco: Blends that are instant hits and you know from the first puff that you love (i.e. OJK and Prince Albert in my case), blends that you despise from the first puff and vow to never attempt to smoke again (mixture 79, Borkum Riff Cherry) and finally blends that you have no specific complaint against but they just don't grab you right off (i.e. Pegasus and Edgeworth RR). The first two categories are fairly straight forward, I love it and plan to smoke a lot of it or This sucks I'll never smoke this crap ever again. The final category is a bit more complex. These are the creeper blends that you don't get at first but suddenly begin to reach for more and more until all the sudden you discover a certain taste that is fantastic that it just took you a while to warm up to. This is where Pegasus sits with me. This process of exploration is one thing that makes pipe smoking as enjoyable as it is. A cigar tastes like a cigar, a cigarette tastes like a cigarette, but a pipe can taste like a million things and half the fun is figuring out what is good to you personally. Initially, I found nothing wrong with this blend but likewise found nothing very exciting either. But the more I smoked it the more I began to appreciate the interplay of the various component tobaccos and what a unique and exceptional flavor it really is. Very mild, very tasty and very simple to smoke. At the end of a bowl you are left with a pipe full of grayish white ashes and an anxious anticipation of your next bowl full of Pegasus. The black cavendish is largely responsible for the fragrant sweetness but lest you be fooled this is a good, old school natural blend through and through. Burley runs the show here. The trace amounts of virginia merely enhance the subtle sweetness and provide a bit of body and complexity. The black cavendish is an amazing touch of subtle sweetness and aroma but does it very smoothly and quietly without the goopy, soapy taste normally associated with more heavily cased black cavendish. Once again, Bob Runowski, The Guru of All Things Burley has delivered in fine fashion. The desert island blend is a distinction I rarely find appropriate but if I were leaving to be stranded on a desert island today I think Pegasus, OJK and a few four-digit Kaywoodies would be essential gear. If you are a burleyphile, this one is a must try but the lesson learned (at least for me) was that sometimes even great blends take some time and patience to appreciate. Don't expect immediate fireworks with this one but give it time, once you get it, it's well worth the wait.

Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin: Pegasus smells like sweet toast. Rough cut, light to dark brown, with a mahogany hue, there is the occasional black fleck of roughly 10%. Albeit, having read the reviews, I would agree that it has a slightly sweet classic American signature, with no Latakia smoke or oriental incense. There is no medicinal smell from doctored up burleys as in some burley blends. Pegasus is on the dry side.

Taste and Aroma: I have heard Bond Street praised in reviews of other blends and it must have been a tad bland because Pegasus is no effusion of taste or aroma. The subtle sweetness of the black cavendish is contrasted with a typical stale burley taste and aroma. Again, to its credit, Pegasus is not a cloying, mediciny burley, but feels natural. Smoked outdoors, there is some goopy moisture which drains out of the stem.(An anamoly? This didn't happen indoors.)

Room Note: Decent, for a burley, but still the typical light stale burley aroma.

Nicotine: Medium to strong, closer to strong. It is no more heady than the last blend I tried, an oriental-based tobacco.

Overall: One of the few burley blends I can appreciate, it doesn't have an overly heavy burley smell. As burleys go, good, 3.2 stars. Compare Pegasus to two extremes of flavored burley blends, Half and Half, a drugstore aromatic completely flavored, and Prince Albert, not nearly as cased as H&H, but having decidedly less natural taste then Pegasus. To a degree, I recant what was said about burleys being bland, having sampled a VA afterwards. Perhaps burleys are sometimes described as bland because of the way they naturally taste, and that there is less sweetness.

Emeritus Account (29765)

It's a decent blend but nothing outstanding. C&D offers far better classic American blends such as Old Joe Krantz and Haunted Bookshop. This to me seemed a bit harsh and bitey. There just isn't anything special about this blend.

Strong None Detected Full Strong

This is a blend for burley lovers. Similar to the old Bond Street, this does best in a large bowled pipe. Pack up the biggest bowled pipe you have and get ready for a real treat.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (77)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this tobacco based on a review by Bob Runowski and I must say his review is right on. This is a good choice for the smoker that likes a natural "English" without the latakia. It starts off a bit harsh but smooths out a little farther down the bowl. I found it necessary to hydrate this one to take out some of the bite. The cut is good and it burns easily. Definitely one to try for those looking for no-nonsense tobacco.

An apparently simple, yet very rich and flavourful mixture of three classic tobaccos. To begin with, the black Cavendish in the blend is not artificially sweet (i.e, vanilla or licorice tasting). It adds a deep, rather bitter but palatable undertone, that helps harness the Virginia acidity and complements the Burley's natural chocolate taste. It is not, however, the main component.

The interplay of the Virginias and Burleys is very nice, having the latter the leading role. I find it an unpretentious, well balanced, easy smoking mixture. It's tasty, medium strength and uncomplicated. Earthy, woodsy, with a pleasant aroma and an excellent burning rate. A good companion when writing or doing odd jobs in the yard.

Kudos to Mr. Bob Runowski!

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum.

Purchased From: Joshua's Pipe Tobaccos

Similar Blends: Haunted Bookshop.

Tomcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tomcat (88)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Pegasus is a natural tasting tobacco that I think does have a little sugar top note . I know that sounds like an oxymoron . A mostly Burley blend of 3 varieties and a little bit of bright and red Virginias and unflavored cavendish to sweeten it up a little . It is nutty and earthy and a little sour . A little sweet and has some harsh notes when you get past the halfway point . A darker burley seems to give some nice Kentucky like notes at times that are quite nice . Some hay and grass From Virginias and there is a little bit of spice in this blend . All in all a good smoke I enjoy with great taste but not very smooth on the throat sometimes. 3 stars for me

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (97)

I see reviews going back 15 years. God that's awesome. I love this site. My experience with Pegasus was pretty low key. I'm surprised to see all the love here for this old codger style blend. It's a pleasing burley forward blend, oats, mildly nutty, toasty and noticeably earthy. All C&D burley blends have a specific bitter note, like bitter walnut (I've not encountered that note in the blends of any other brand) that I find really offputting if too strong. The note is still there in Pegasus, but its tame enough that It's not an issue and that alone makes the blend noteworthy. The Virginia and the topping seem to add enough sweetness to balance Pegasus perfectly. The Virginia also offers a bit of grass and hay. The cavendish smooths out the burleys even more, filling in all gaps with a little dark sugar. Good candidate for an all day smoke. Pace yourself and it won't bite.

Pipe Used: Cobb

ATW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ATW (97)

Pegasus is very complex for what I was expecting. This being the second blend that was created by Bob Runowski, I'd say he had a great taste with tobacco.

My 2 oz baggy is on the dryer side but it's right were I like it. The bag aroma is a typical burley with the faintness of unflavored black cavendish. What has really drawn me to enjoying this is how every bowl is different. The flavors generally follow the same profile with every bowl but they may change at different points. The overall profile is creamy coffee, creamy chocolate, nutty, earthy, and spicy. Very cigar like. It burns cool with no harshness.

Once again another great burley blend from Cornell and Diehl. I have been rotating between Pegasus and Haunted Bookshop and have been thoroughly impressed by both.

While I do love Virginia's, finding one that replaces McClelland Virginia's has become tiring. So I've decided to search for a different flavor profile and I believe these 2 are it. Of course I'll never stop trying other things. But when I want something that hits the spot. Pegasus and HB fit the bill.

JustAnotherPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustAnotherPiper (4)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Right off the bat, Pegasus looks like the good quality tobacco that it is. The ribbons are delicate and fluffy and feel nice to the touch; not oily or clumpy, few if any stems, and the moisture is just where I like it, on the moist side of dry. The aroma in the bag reminds me of freshly toasted bread, but there's not much else there, and I'm fine with that. A little simplicity can be a good thing, and Pegasus provides, but with just enough nuances in flavor to keep you interested all the way down the bowl.

The burleys are the principle players here. They come together beautifully, with a full-bodied, but mild, tobacco flavor and hints of nuts and toast. The virginias join in with a subtle, natural sweetness that builds up slowly but levels out perfectly about halfway down the bowl. The cavendish makes an appearance now and again, bringing a mellowing coolness with just a hint of complexity. Again, there's enough here in Pegasus to keep you interested without overwhelming your palette. Pegasus is predictable, something which I appreciate in my tobaccos, and what makes it perfect as an all-day blend.

No special preparation required with this blend. I just pack it in layers, and it lights easily, burns consistently, and--provided you pace yourself--doesn't bite or get soggy at the bottom of the bowl. If you let it go out, it relights without any fuss, and if you smoke indoors, it isn't thick nor will it hang like a fog in the room. Pegasus has a pleasant and fairly mild room note and if you open a couple of windows, it dissipates quickly, which is good for spouses or guests who might otherwise object.

Overall, there's nothing that I dislike about this blend. Pegasus is, for lack of a better word, perfect.

Pipe Used: Various briars and meerschaums

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (124)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the opposite of a flavor bomb, just an easy all day smoke without funny tastes and with great mouthfeel, good strength and body, up a full notch from the typical OTC burley, and without any added flavorings.

Its plain-ness is both its strength and its weakness.

The black cav and the VA work very far in the background but may build a little as you go along. You may or may not really notice them.

It's very easy to like if you like burley, and it's hard to resist smoking two bowls in a row.

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (88)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is an excellent burley and black cavendish blend. It's a very clean and straightforward Burley ribbon. Good but not fantastic. Not Uhle Blend 00 good anyway. The addition of the unsweetened black cavendish raises the bar on this blend. It gives the Burley a sweetness that it is lacking, and overall rounds out the blend into a more compelling smoke. Smells like marshmallows to me when I open a jar sometimes. I think if there are two C&D tobaccos that everyone should try, it's this and OJK. Both stellar burley blends. I wish I would have found this earlier in my cellaring. I keep feeling like I need more of it, so I must.

Emeritus Account (29765)

I was highly disappointed with the cut quality of this tobacco. There were distinct, large pieces of tobacco, oddly shaped...I actually found the lower part of a tobacco leaf with the stem attached. Poor quality control to be sure. Smoking this blend was pleasant, but not really remarkable in any way.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (66)

This one really didn't do it for me. I didn't get much flavor out of it unless I dgt'd it and despite 9 months of age, it had a bite to it. Likely the reason I don't like it is that it is mainly red VA and I like a more full burley taste. If you are a VA smoker who wants to try a VA/Burley blend, you might like this. In fact, I've got a tin for you, send me an email!

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I'm afraid I have to agree with Grampa with this blend. For years, with rare exception, I've avoided blends with burley. Recently, I've come to enjoy a number of them including some by Cornell & Diehl. There's something about Pegaus that really turns me off. I suspect it has something to do with either they type, processing, or the amount of the burley. Whatever it is, I just don't enjoy the flavor.

Add a star or two if you're a big fan of burley, as notwithstanding what I have said, as this is surely a quality blend.

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

MY sample came with some larger fragments of tobacco, looked sort of like a tobacco salad, not very attractive and makes one wonder of quality control. Well, Well, what have we here? This is a nicely medium strength, medium bodied blend. I taste good tobacco flavor here, a little harsh at times and a little green (I detected some ammonia) This is not all bad though, just like some fine Brie has an ammonia component...I was not turned off by this. I like this, I don't love it, but I like it. It had enough smoke volume and tingled nicely when exhaled through the nostrils. Good blend.

Seanv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Seanv (29)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

Bulk purchase. Arrived dry and ready to smoke. I smoked my first few bowls in a cob before moving on to a bent Peterson meer for a while. Both pipes smoke this blend wonderfully.

Bag notes of slightly bitter Burley and some sweet Virginia. I get a little bit of a fermented aroma similar to three friars which is also from C&D.

Initial flavors are nutty Burley followed by a very nice earthiness. The Virginia's add a very small touch of sweetness and a bit of grass/hay occasionally. The black Cavendish probably adds to the sweetness. In no way is it overwhelming, I think it ties the Virginia's and Burley together. As the smoke goes on the Burley takes on a dry woody flavor at times while maintaining the earthiness of earlier. The nutty flavors fade away as does the sweetness. The smoke finishes dry and flavorful.

There could be some bite if pushed and also some cigarette like flavors if smoked too quickly. The strength in my opinion is a bit below medium. The vitamin N is present but far from overwhelming for me. This is a fantastic blend with Coffee on a cool morning or on a cool night. I would definitely recommend this to a smoker who likes Burley.

Edit Oct 10 2010 I can't stop smoking this blend. It is consistent and enjoyable. I am adding the 4th star. Highly recommended