W.O. Larsen Kentucky Gold

(3.25)
An exquisite blend of many fine tobaccos. Toasted burley and Virginia cavendish, blended with loose and square cut golden Virginia. The Kentucky Gold is finished with full flavor Kentucky dark fire cured tobacco in loose cut. A medium strength blend for the experienced pipe smoker who appreciates the flavor and good taste of natural tobaccos.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.25 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 11 - 12 of 12 Reviews
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
Mar 11, 2003 Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant
Sixteen years ago I had a shiny new Dr. Grabow and a pouch of the Prince, and let's just say I have kept Burley-heavy blends at an arm's length ever since. Thanks to the knowledgeable gentlemen above who pass along their smoking insight, I tried this tobacco and loved it. I'm used to Burley as a supporting role in Virgnia-dominant blends (such as Tilbury, which I love) but here it jumps right out at you. I loaded up an old gnarly Swinks Extra Long Canadian and smoked myself giddy. The weed from my tin was on the dry side of moist, just how I like it. The smoke is sweet (in a natural tobacco sense, not heavily cased) and spicy, with a wonderful anaesthetic effect on my tongue and cheeks. A truly bright and vibrant smoking experience that totally awakened the palate. A hint of bitterness was at the bottom (of my CLEAN pipe) but I guess that's characteristic of Burley. Those who prefer latakia 24/7 would probably find this too much of a shock to the system, but burley-wary Virginia guys like me should jump right in with both feet. Although this is an "American" style blend, it had enough of the Danish profile going (it is made there after all) that you MacBaren junkies out there might want give it a spin too. All I can say is that I'm glad I broke the Burley ban and I'll be trying some more (good ones) soon. I'm off to the Barbary Coast! Thanks again lads!
Please login to upvote this review.
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
Jul 25, 2002 Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant
I normally smoke a whole tin (or, at least attempt to) before reviewing a blend. Kentucky Gold comes in one of those round 100g tins, so, at least I made it to about 7 bowlfuls before submitting this review.

First, I grabbed a tin of this stuff after reading tillmanj's review. I love reading his reviews because our taste buds appear to be similar. I also share tantric's love of a good burley blend. So, knowing both enjoyed Kentucky Gold, I thought I might too. And indeed I do!

In the tin I smelled a honey/whiskey odor. The leaf is long, stringy and a bit moist. I zapped the stuff in my blender and then packed a bowl. I don't think I can describe the smoke as well as tillmanj & tantric, but I do agree that it was a very nice smoke that packed a bit of tobacco wallop. Yes, you taste a wonderful burley along with the other leaf, and unlike many burley blends, there was no bitter taste at all, even during the last third of the bowl.

I found a natural sweetness through the first half of each smoke, and then less casing was detected during the lower half. It smokes cool and mostly dry and I think all "good ole boys" will enjoy a dose of this W.O. Larsen blend.
Please login to upvote this review.

target="_blank"