Here the "Orange" refers to the color of the Virginia Tobacco used. Orange Virginia ribbon is Bulked and aged at 115 Deg F for weeks in 55 Gallon Drums. During this time natural elements that cause bitterness and harshness are released leaving a mellow, slightly sweet Vrginia which still retains a bit of the "Tangy Sparkle" of our simply Red.

BrandWatch City Cigar
Blended ByErnie Q
Manufactured ByWatch City Cigar Co.
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

Full disclosure: I had an advisory hand in this blend. Several grades of fermented light to darker orange Virginias with a dash of reds produce a wealth of zesty, tingly tart and tangy citrus, sugar, bread, some tangy darker fruit, earth, wood, mild floralness, grass, spice, and light sour lemon with a touch of acidity and a small hint of wine-like vinegar. That last aspect comes from the processing of the tobacco as there is no topping on this product. Has an attractive little sparkle note, too. The strength and nic-hit are a couple of steps past the center of mild to medium. The taste is a tad more potent, but doesn’t quite meet the medium threshold. It won’t bite or get harsh. Has a few minute rough notes. Burns cool and clean at a moderate pace with a very consistent flavor. Has a short lived pleasant after taste, and room note. Barely leaves any dampness in the bowl, and requires few relights. An all day smoke that should age exceptionally well. Four stars out of four.

-JimInks

BC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BC (20)

Very nice. I tried it fresh; I normally age VAs before I smoke them, but I was curious. It is lighter in color then Simply Red, hence the name, although it has some red in the ribbon cut. I get a nice, sweet taste, some bread, some grass. I did not find the vinegar JimInks talks about, but it is tangy. I get a lemon/citrus taste particularly in the first 1/3 of the bowl, It, but I think it is rounded out nicely, and should age well. Enthusiastic thumbs up.

Pipe Used: Full bent

Purchased From: Watch City

WildTurkeySurprise Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WildTurkeySurprise (2)

I got an ounce of this in a VA sampler pack from Watch City Cigar back in April. I’m a big fan of Flake 558, so I was optimistic. After going through that ounce of Simply Orange, I don’t care for it. Changing up my smoking cadence every way I knew how, I just couldn’t seem to coax a flavor from it I found enjoyable. I have no problem with one-dimensional blends, straight VA or otherwise, provided that dimension is good. Here, my palate continually registered little more than burning tobacco. Incidentally, feedback from others on the room note were consistently negative. One person, before she spotted my pipe, thought the room had caught on fire. I have an enormous amount of respect for and confidence in both Jiminks and WCC, so I’m adding a second star under the notion that I don’t truly understand what I am tasting.

Cheers!

Pipe Used: Dunhill Root Briar, Peterson Aran B10, et al.

Purchased From: WCC