Continuing a 400 year old tradition, Royal Twist is a limited-edition spun-cut blend, its recipe originating in the 1960s. A whole leaf wrapper encases a core of Virginias, dark fired Kentucky, and perique, handspun into ropes and sliced into coins -- resulting a naturally sweet, complex, and spicy smoking experience.

BrandMac Baren
Strength
Very Mild, Mild
Taste
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The spice content is the star attraction. Some of it comes from the earthy, woody, very plumy, mildly raisiny, figgy perique. It is a little more obvious than the spice from herbal, earthy, woody, vegetative, sour, nutty, floral, mildly smoky dark fired Kentucky. These two varietals are the lead components because of the spice. In a strong support role is the gold Virginia, which forms the base of the blend. It provides a lot of tart and tangy citrus, grass, bread, sugar, vegetation, light floralness, spice, and a touches of honey and acidity. There’s a very mild honey casing that helps tame a few of the rough edges as well as producing a little sweetness. The strength and nic-hit are medium. The taste is a slot past that mark. Won’t bite or get harsh, but the spice content may tingle the tongue of a fast puffer. I suggest a relaxed puffing cadence. Even though there area few small rough notes, this blend is smoother than expected. The mildly moist coins easily break apart, and need no dry time. Burns clean, and a touch warm at a slightly slow pace with a mostly consistent sweet and spicy, mildly sour, floral, lightly nutty, creamy flavor that extends to pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is notch stronger. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a few relights. Can be an all day smoke. Four stars.

-JimInks

hrhf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hrhf (38)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I almost ordered 10 tins of this. Something told me it was going to be outstanding, but in a rare moment of self control, I decided to order just five tins.

I could kick myself!!!

I’d only recently begun exploring the magical world of VaPerKys. There’s just something, well, perfect about a well-done blend of Virginia, Dark-fired Kentucky and perique. G.L. Pease’s Triple Play plug is a decent-enough example... but it suffers (in my opinion) from the same blandness that afflicts most other GLP/C&D offerings.

Scottish Cake by McConnell is a much better example of a VaPerKy done right, and Rattray’s has three really good ones, too.

But Mac Baren takes the gold medal in this category, with a perfect 10. They nailed the ratios. The casing is just enough.

What we end up with is a delicate spun cut treasure... sweet and subtle one moment, bold and zesty the next. MB’s Dark-fired zing proves reminiscent (again, to me) of McLelland’s VaPers.

Excellent. Just excellent. I went through two tins in about a week and a half. I was honestly hoping I’d end up getting a little bored with it, so I could just move on... but no. It’s just too good. This is the one I’ve been looking for... my desert island blend.

As I explained to a friend... I love VaPerKys, I love spun cut... it’s like Mac Baren made this one just for me. Surely they’ll make this masterpiece part of the regular product line... right???

I mean, if there’s ANY justice in the world...they can’t just make a limited run of the best tobacco I’ve ever had.... watch it sell out in a day... and then just move on to the next limited run.

Do you hear me, Mac Baren??? The world needs more Royal Twist. I need more Royal Twist.

Highly, highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: New stock

Similar Blends: Robert McConnell - Scottish Cake.