Mac Baren Three Nuns

(3.09)
Notes: The Three Nuns coin tobacco was originally a creation of J & F Bell, dating back to the 19th century. A favorite of British authors (and friends) C.S. Lewis & J.R.R. Tolkien. In the formula from Imperial Tobacco, Three Nuns was a VaPer mixture. Pipe Tobacco Hall of Fame Inductee. Later this tobacco was made at the Orlik factory for BAT and Kentucky was substituted for Perique. The latest version, blended and manufactured by Mac Baren, follows the latter formula.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.09 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 111 - 120 of 237 Reviews
Aug 12, 2021 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I think if you forget that one day there was a mixture with the same name that is missed by those who smoked it, and you also forget that there are several similar mixtures on the market, you can enjoy this one a lot. Recommended for those who like mixtures with Kentucky as the protagonist. A similar mix is Savinelli's Doblone D’Oro, also made by Mac Baren. Also Director's Cut, from HU, C&D Bluegrass and Old Gowrie from Rattray's, to name a few (in these last two with less prominence of kentucky). In my particular case, any of those four satisfies me more than this TN. I would have liked to try it at the time this mixture contained perique. I would only recommend it to those who like Kentucky and cannot access the mentioned tobaccos.
Jan 16, 2021 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This review is for the Bell's Three Nuns, dated 2003. I smoked a few of these when purchased originally, and really liked them. Great burn, taste, everything. Stashed one tin and just popped it for the new year (so long 2020). Still very good, but didn't age near as well as many of the other tins I have stashed and smoked. Really like the disks for smoking though.
Age When Smoked: 18 yrs
Oct 22, 2020 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong
Mac Baren - Three Nuns Nice tobacco aroma appears from tin after opening. I did not notice any casing. Damaged coins could have been little moister. There are sweetness, nuts and something what I can called typical tobacco. When all cigarettes will have this aroma and taste, there would not be any deeming restrictions. However, please do not be confused. This is not tobacco to smoke it inside.

Even coins was relatively dry, they left some moisture. No relights was needed. Pleasant tobacco
Pipe Used: BPK, MM cob
PurchasedFrom: etrafika.cz
Aug 18, 2019 Medium Mild Medium Pleasant
Only have the Mac Baren version.

My pipe guides like it very much, and the inventory is amazing. (Probably all versions, including imitation)

This is really a high quality tobacco. I can't find a leaf stalk, which I have never met. The ribbon after drying is very fluffy and complete with only a few crumbs. (meaning very little waste)

filling can not be too compact, must be fluffy, which is the key to good taste. (Really important)

The cool smoke, full, sweet, and fragrant, is really great. If the strength of nicotine is lower, it will be perfect for me.

Highly recommended, you must try.
Pipe Used: svendborg 30
Age When Smoked: 5 years old in tin
Aug 11, 2019 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable
This is for the Mac Baren version. I got myself 5 tins from Ebay for about 12$ a tin dated Feb 2014 ! 5 yrs old . No sugar crystals. The smell of the tin was fermented fruit which must be from the Virginias ? Taste was not fruity but slightly baked bread and slightly nutty but more spicy from the Kentucky. Not sweet at all for me . Not sure what Brazilian adds . Very mild smoke IMO . I think one could smoke this all day long no problem. Dried it for about half hour but is probably ok right from tin . Decent smoke but very mild even for me. Not sure what the aging improved this if at all . The Virginia tobacco could be better probably.
I bumped this up to 3 Stars as it makes a great mixer to straight VA blends adding spice and body and flavor of the Kentucky!
Age When Smoked: 5 years tin mac baren
May 27, 2019 Mild Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant
This review is based on the original Bell's tobacco, not the McBaren's rendition by the same name, speaking of which, I understand it is a VaPer, that is, a Virginia/Perique blend. As this sample is from a 50 year old tin, it is difficult to asses what it would have been like back in the time when it was fresh out of the production line. The Dark Fired leaf is quite apparent. but somewhat faded and subdued because of the passing of time. As you open the tin, the tobacco comes in small jet black little coins, which is another tell sign of how old this tobacco actually is. Surprisingly enough, I think I can still detect a topping of some sort, and the tobacco is sweet and mellow beyond measure. The vintage and character of this tobacco shows in every sip, it has a silky texture and it seems to keep its consistency through every quarter of your bowl. That is to say he does not evolve that much, but its complexity is already there because of its age. Highly recommended, but I do not think you will by able to sample it anyway.
Nov 11, 2018 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
The tin notes are honey, hay and cigar. I say honey notes, but it's really more than a note, it's so strong, it's hard to ignore.

The coins are about an inch in diameter and a little difficult to separate.

On the first light, I get notes of toasted marshmallow.

After a few minutes of rest, the bowl smells of sauteed spinach. Now I'm hungry.

Upon relight, many things come to light. The flavor bring back all the notes described above and more. The room note is very masculine, the smoke sometimes reminds me of old school men's cologne
Pipe Used: No name old Bruyère Bulldog from St Claude
Age When Smoked: a few months
Oct 23, 2018 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
A solid full flavored smoke that can replace a meal if needed. Dark-fired Kentucky dominates the blend—providing a strong smokey-barbecue aroma and flavors that carry some nutty undertones. The Virginia leaf plays a supporting role with some grassy notes, but mostly get lost in the tin note and the smoke. There is no harshness present in the smoke.

I have never tried earlier versions of Three Nuns and its relation to specific authors is not important to me. This iteration of Three Nuns is similar to Savinelli's Doblone d'Oro in its smokey character. However, Three Nuns is a bit stronger, edgier, and lacks the slight spiciness from the perique. I don't reach for Three Nuns as often as other similar blends, but I fully enjoy it when I do.

It is definitely worth a try.
Sep 28, 2018 Medium None Detected Full Tolerable
This is for the Original Version. Got my hands on some 30 year old Three Nuns.. I expected some dull peaked out tobacco’s, but no sir! Wow, the amount of pepper spice that’s still in this, the depth of flavors.. figgs/fruit, apple pie, pecans and a chewy smoke... it’s really amazing. I can understand why others have included Burley in their reblends of this because it does give off almost this sugarcane/grainy bread kind of flavor almost of pumpernickel.. but it’s also got so much more heat, especially on the retrohale.. and a depth that’s missing in the more recent iterations. Will be smoking some more out of a briar and either a cob or meerschaum.
Pipe Used: Clay
PurchasedFrom: Gifted
Age When Smoked: 30 years aged
Aug 12, 2018 Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I like this - I've never smoked the original from bygone years so I can't compare this new version with that, but all I can say is I quite like this. Smoke it slowly to really get the taste, and I think you'll enjoy it too. I got the ready rubbed version and a well packed pipe burns really well, sip it rather than puff to get a faint raisin and whiskey taste. It's incredibly smooth and I think bite in unlikely with this one. There's a sweetness here - anyway it's a pretty decent smoke in my opinion.
Pipe Used: Peterson silver spigot