Notes: From smokingpipes.com: an elevated version, enhancing the original recipe with rare, matured sun-cured tobaccos and other specially selected leaf for additional nuance and peppery spice — pressed and sliced into delicate flakes for easy preparation and greater aging potential.

BrandSeattle Pipe Club
Blended ByJoe Lankford
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2 ounce Tin
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

The smoky, woody, earthy, floral, leathery, musty sweet Cyprian Latakia is the lead component. The sun cured Orientals provide a lot of earth, wood, buttery sweetness and dry sourness, herbs, vegetation, some floralness, smoke, spice, and a slight salt note. They are important supporting players. The fermented black and stoved Virginias offer a burst of stewed and tangy ripe dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, and some sugar, along with mild tart and tangy citrus, grass, and barbecue. They are right on the heels of the Orientals in terms of effect. The earthy, woody, fruity (plums, raisins, and figs), mildly spicy perique continually and noticeably underscores the experience. The spice is a rung more obvious than the other aspects of the perique. The condimental, creamy, sugary black cavendish helps tame potential rough edges, which barely exist in this manufacture. The strength and taste levels are medium. The nic-hit is a step behind them. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. The flakes are moderately moist, but need no dry time, and easily break apart. Exceptionally well balanced, complex and nuanced, it burns cool, clean and a tad slow with a very consistent, deeply rich, creamy tangy, fruity barbecue sweet, smoky, woody, savory flavor all the way to the finish. Leaves little dampness in the bowl. The number of relights depends on how you prepare the flakes, but expect some anyway. The very pleasant after taste lingers a little. The room note is a notch stronger. Can be an all day smoke for the veteran, and easily repeatable for the less experienced. Four stars out of four.

-JimInks

Dave da Dragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dave da Dragon (8)

A variation on a theme, but a great theme and a worthy variation for sure! Plum Pudding has been around awhile and is a great English/Balkan blend in its own right. More recently Plum Pudding Special Reserve was brought out, which is like the original in most ways but even better with the aged premium Orientals in place of the more generic ones in the original. And now Plum Pudding Special Reserve Flake! Very much like the Special Reserve in all ways and yet slightly different in presentation and to me flavor as well. The presentation difference is easy to describe. Unlike the Special Reserve this is being packed only in 2 ounce tins instead of the 4 ounce size. Also as indicated by the name it’s a flake, a thick 3/16-1/4 inch flake cut from a fairly firmly compressed cake. The flakes do seem to be cut from a slightly denser cake than I remember Special Reserve being...might be my memory lol!!! I do know it’s pressed for 30 days before being sliced and tined. Remember that 30 days...

The Cyprian Latakia takes the lead as always in these blends, smoky, somewhat musty and earthy like some smoked Portabella mushrooms I had once. The aged special sun cured Orientals are right there in support with a very herby dry sourness, but I sense a slight sweetness too and a touch of spice maybe but maybe that’s the Perique. They are broader in flavor and fuller than many Orientals I have tasted and shoulder the Latakia wonderfully. The darker Virginia’s and stoved ones add a nice subtle sweetness and might be part of the dark fruity flavor of plums I get but again that might be the Perique. A touch of bread maybe from them as well as a touch of vinegar and barbecue sauce flavor that is I am sure aided by the smoke from the Latakia...smell your fingers after you rub it out and you can smell it most then and your fingers will taste of smoke! The aforementioned Perique has that figgy, raisiny, dark plum taste is there for sure as is a bit of spice. The black cavendish is there but I can’t say what it’s doing other than maybe a touch of sweetness and a balancing of the other leaves, I’ve learned that a little can take edges off and even a blend out and I get the feeling that’s what’s happening here.

Over all what I have said would pretty much describe all the Plum Puddings but the Special Reserve with the aged varietal Orientals just is a solid step better as is this. Now I will say that to me this flake version just seems more mature in a way than even the Special Reserve I’ve had. It’s as if the pressing or something has made what I know is a fresh tin seem like it’s got a year or two of aging on it! It’s a very well developed and broad blend, balanced well, rich and full and a good mouth feel of creamy smoke. Depending on how much you break it up and if you dry it, not required but maybe try it to find this blends sweet spot...30 minutes worked for me...and you will get subtle changes throughout the bowl. Always mellow and balanced but sometimes more smoke and barbecue and other more spice and then more fruit. A very rich broad and enjoyable blend for sure. I smoked three bowls in one day so I would say for a someone who is used to smoking a pipe it could be an all day smoke, for me I would have a bowl every day or two likely after dinner but it does go good with coffee or strong tea in the morning as well. 4 out of 4 for me and now the original Plum Pudding is a 3.5 out of 4 for me!

Burns cool and well, some relighting is required but varies on the pipe and how your prep the flake. Won’t bite! Room note, well smoky is all I can say as I live alone and it’s what I smell.

Again a variation on a theme but a variation that stands on its own legs!!! Get some soon as it’s once and done run of tins!!!

Pipe Used: Ser Jacopo Author, BC Rhody, Chacom Paris CW

Similar Blends: Seattle Pipe Club - Plum Pudding, Seattle Pipe Club - Plum Pudding Special Reserve.