Solani 369: Blue Label

(2.48)
Bright and red Virginias, some burley and mild black cavendish in addition to perique makes this a mild blend with flavor.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.48 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 14 Reviews
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
Apr 13, 2014 Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
A rich cherry aromatic with some peach and vanilla, all of which sublimate the tobaccos. There's a hint of nutty, earthy, woody burley somewhere around, but it's hard to find. The grassy, tart and tangy citrusy Virginias essentially escaped my notice, though the spice and raisins from the perique was pretty obvious. The sugary black cavendish is in the background. I found this is be a little syrupy and very moist, so it will require a little dry time, and leave a little moisture in the bowl. It will need some relights. The strength is a couple of steps past the center of mild to medium, while the taste just misses the medium mark. The nic-hit is a couple slots past the mild threshold. Burns cool and slightly slow with a very consistent flavor from start to finish. Won't bite or get harsh. Has a very sweet after taste, and room note that lingers just a mite. Not quite an all day smoke.

-JimInks
Feb 10, 2010 Very Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I should have read the reviews before I bought this since I don't generally enjoy aromatics and there was no such indication on the tin. Although this one is nicely prepared as other Solani blends, it is too moist from the tin and I needed numerous relights. After some drying, it smoked without condensation and cool with no bite. I just dont' like the amount and taste of the casing and missed any hint of true tobacco taste. However, if you enjoy aromatics, this may be a good one.
Aug 06, 2012 Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
A tobacco trading partner threw this in with our last trade, asking if I'd ever smoked it. I hadn't and I didn't know why, since I enjoy a lot of Solani blends. After smoking as much of the tin as I could tolerate (not much), I think I must have read the reviews here and didn't recall. It also allows me to speculate as to why he was eager to trade this to me.

First of all, this tobacco merits just one star for my personal taste. It looks like black and brown confetti and smells in the tin like a fruit basket. Unfortunately, this fruitiness - predominantly cherry with some peach in the background - translates to the taste with the utmost fidelity. The very cool tin states only "virginia, burley, sweet-perique", none of which I can taste over the produce. A little honesty on the tin wouldn't hurt, as "cavendish" or "aromatic" or "cherry" do not appear. This reminded me of my very early forays into pipe tobacco where I wanted sweet tasting blends, and this one reminds me of one in particular that my first tobacco shop named Sweet Ebony. It was even more horrid than this one, though, as it smoked extremely wet. This one smokes fairly dry and if someone is looking for a cherry/fruit blend, they could do worse. Two stars as an aromatic, one star for me because I find its taste absolutely foul.
Feb 06, 2016 Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant
I was duped. On the can, it says Virginia, burley and sweet Perique, so naturally I was thinking it was some iteration of a VaPer, and NOT an aromatic. I like very few aromatics. I like Nat Sherman's 314, Lane 1Q and Peretti's 432, which are probably all the same, as well as Nat Sherman's 509, and a few others, so I have given many a fair try, but have never found the same satisfaction as I do with say Solani's burley flake. I tend to stick with burley, Virginia and VaPer and various blended flakes. I also enjoy the English blends heavily dosed with Latakia. That said, at first, it's hard to discern the Virginia, the burley, and Perique mixed with all of Blue's cherry-vanilla-fruit flavoring, which hits you as soon as you crack the tin. It's seems more like a cavendish blend than anything else. But it nicely develops and is rather mild in flavor and finish, with the Virginia and burley being the most pronounced, sweetened with all that flavoring that isn't noted on the damn tin. The room note is quite pleasant. And I have to say, I did find this blend somewhat enjoyable. So, it was not a total disappointment because the quality is there and it does not bite and it's not cloying. If I knew it was an aromatic, I would not have purchased it, but it is one of the better aromatics I have tried.
Pipe Used: Bari Wiking, LJ Peretti bent billiard
PurchasedFrom: Watch City Cigar
Age When Smoked: Several months, was in bargain bin at B&M
Aug 24, 2014 Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant
When I'm in the mood to taste something really flavourful... fruity flavour that is, I will enjoy this tobacco. Smells excellent out of the tin. Reminds me of apricot, honey smoke. Hints of apricot appear when smoked and the nicotine hit is nice. A medium nicotine strength. Certainly can be described as a dessert smoke. Very Aromatic.
PurchasedFrom: Cigar Bodega, Unionville Ontario.
Feb 09, 2016 Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant
Reminds me of a twisted 50/50 mix of Stanwell Melange and Dan's Blue Note.

Initial flavors of cherry Chapstick, but changes to a vanilla-cherry after a few minutes under a match. This blend was kind of hard to keep lit. If you puffed harder to keep it lit, it smoked a bit ashy. Not a lot of nicotine to be found, but it did leave an excellent room note, that is a crowd pleaser for sure.
Apr 10, 2020 Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant
I smoked the "three colours" of Solani right after another and found them so similar with each other that I ended up copying pretty much the same review for them all. They are all flavoured, fruity, sweet aromatics on the mild, easy to smoke side, reminding me of Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice, but with different set of flavours and toppings. And for that very reason they don't do much to me; the tin note is exquisite, the room note enjoyable, they pack, light and burn well - the consistency of large, dry flakes varying from light yellow to black is delightful actually - but the smoking experience... While nothing wrong with it per se, leaves one with a certain feeling of artificiality, of everything not being 100% true to nature. Therefore, while an enjoyable smoke in itself, not really something I would be dying to have again anytime soon.

Of the three, Blue is my clear favourite. Still a 2-star but leaning on three stars, unlike the others that are more firmer twos; the burley base gives it a leg to stand on, plum as a flavouring always works for me, and I also started my Solani run from Blue because it lists perique as a main ingredient, a style of tobacco I'm intrigued about but had no previous experience with. I'll need to find a purer perique blend though, or at least something that is more clearly based on it, as it's not that easy to tell apart from this pot pourri of flavours. Funnily enough, from everything that went into this, the main sensation that I get is fresh pine-bark burning, which is actually a not at all disagreeable essence. Or could this be from the perique? Of the three, Blue also has the least tongue-bite, non-existent really if sipped carefully.

For my part, being "too aromatic" and a somewhat pricey brand to boot, Solanis can stay on the shop shelf in the future. I can heartily recommend them to fans of fruity aromatics though, you'll like it more probably than not.
Pipe Used: various
PurchasedFrom: Tobacco shop in Kalmar Sweden
Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin
Jan 02, 2018 Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant
This is an interesting tobacco. Tin note is one of the most unique I have come across. Fruity is an understatement. It is very strong and the topping is all you can smell. It is very pleasant and is smells of plum, raisins, figs and berry. The tin description is cherry and plum but the melange of tobacco and topping changes the cherry smell to me. Very nice. This for me a morning with a cup of coffee smoke on occasion. It is very sweet and is one of the few pipe tobacco's where the topping and casings are very evident in the taste. This is the pop tart of pipe tobacco. It has a berry flavor that I have come to identify as blueberry, the brain tells me blueberry no matter what the tin says. The burley and cavendish are the lead leaves and provide flavors of nuts, wood, molasses and toast. Most of these flavors are strongest and most recognizable on the retrohale. The flavor is consistent throughout the smoke, very little depth or complexity. The room note is very pleasant, like blueberry pie or toasted blueberry pop tart.
Pipe Used: briar and cob
PurchasedFrom: Mars Cigars
Age When Smoked: 1 year +
Jun 02, 2011 Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant
So let me predicate this by admitting that I'm a newcomer to the world of pipes and pipe tobacco. I've sampled several popular blends and found most to be very good. This blend's tin note was nice but I got a very flat and off putting artificial floral taste. Was also my second aromatic. Not my cup of tea.
Sep 10, 2008 Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant