Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation's 2012 Anniversary Blend commemorates 130 years since the family-owned business first introduced their mixtures to pipe smokers. Comprised entirely of mature Virginias that are pressed and cut into flakes, it features a subtle pear flavouring for a hint of sweetness and a satisfyingly rich smoking experience. It's a remarkable blend from the esteemed tobacconist, continuing their historic legacy and passion for producing quality pipe tobaccos.

BrandErik Stokkebye
Blended ByErik Stokkebye
Manufactured ByScandinavian Tobacco Group
FlavoringFruit / Citrus
Strength
Taste
StevieB (2012)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Erik Stokkebye - 4th Generation 2012 Anniversary Blend.

A nice accompaniment for today's afternoon walk, albeit, this would be better suited to a warm summer's day in the garden!

Two rows of flakes that are medium brown with a light flecks. There's a very delicate touch of pear to the aroma but nothing too suggestive. They break apart with just a gentle touch.

Igniting a bowl goes without a hitch, just a quick touch of the flame sets up a decent smoke. The Virginias are both ripe and sharp; there's a fruitiness yet also plenty of fresh hay/grass. The topping seems more like pear cider, Perry, than just pears; quite sharp, making it a good partner to the lively portion of the Virginias. It burns nicely, from start to finish, giving a smoke which only bites when put under strain.

Nicotine: just below medium. Room-note: not great; a little sour.

2012 Anniversary? A nice blend, but I'll refrain from giving it a full house as the topping becomes 'bitter' after a while. Three stars:

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Age When Smoked: Two months

Elk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elk (7)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I had high hopes for this one when I read the description and I think it exceeded my expectations. I don't really pick up much pear in the tin more of a sweet smell somewhat typical of virginia flakes from Europe. However once lit everything changed. To me it's like Dunhill flake with the most natural essence of pear. I taste somewhat typical, but excellent mature virginia flavors with dark fruit and bread and a little spice but what I love is how the natural pear essence creeps into my nose so I'm smelling it more than tasting it. Just great stuff. I find it pretty much medium all the way around and very pleasant in the morning. I found smoking this very slowly and letting the smoke drift upwards brought out all of the flavors. Curious what happens to it over time, not that I feel it needs any. Four stars.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Age When Smoked: A few weeks in a jar

Purchased From: Various online shops

boluotou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boluotou (6)

I did't got the reason why we must buy this limited edition pipe tobaco. It is a good blend, but there is no typical image for me. The beginning is more like Capstan Gold, but the later period is familiar with Peterson White Flake. 纪念ES品牌成立之年的一款草,如果没有限量草的噱头,还算不错的V。说是梨味,但是没尝出来。点火后风味很甜美,会让人误以为这是款甜美调性的V草,但是很短的前段以后,果味和甜度就大幅降低,主线味道几乎只剩下了烤面包味和过鼻时的一点点酒韵。这样的味道持续到尾段。口腔中的余韵是淡淡的甜味和很淡的奶味。前段的感觉很接近黄绞盘但是中后段更接近peterson复刻的小白切片。总体而言作为限量草没有太明显的特点,找不到非买不可的理由。如果是V草爱好者,不妨一试。 完整评测视频链接:https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1UK4y1T7eZ

Pipe Used: Charatan Pot Shape

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Peterson White Flake, Capstan Gold.