Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation's 2012 Anniversary Blend commemorates 130 years since the family-owned business first introduced their mixtures to pipe smokers. Comprised entirely of mature Virginias that are pressed and cut into flakes, it features a subtle pear flavouring for a hint of sweetness and a satisfyingly rich smoking experience. It's a remarkable blend from the esteemed tobacconist, continuing their historic legacy and passion for producing quality pipe tobaccos.

BrandErik Stokkebye
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
StevieB (2004)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Erik Stokkebye - 4th Generation 2012 Anniversary Blend.

A nice accompaniment for today's afternoon walk, albeit, this would be better suited to a warm summer's day in the garden!

Two rows of flakes that are medium brown with a light flecks. There's a very delicate touch of pear to the aroma but nothing too suggestive. They break apart with just a gentle touch.

Igniting a bowl goes without a hitch, just a quick touch of the flame sets up a decent smoke. The Virginias are both ripe and sharp; there's a fruitiness yet also plenty of fresh hay/grass. The topping seems more like pear cider, Perry, than just pears; quite sharp, making it a good partner to the lively portion of the Virginias. It burns nicely, from start to finish, giving a smoke which only bites when put under strain.

Nicotine: just below medium. Room-note: not great; a little sour.

2012 Anniversary? A nice blend, but I'll refrain from giving it a full house as the topping becomes 'bitter' after a while. Three stars:

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Age When Smoked: Two months

Elk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elk (6)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I had high hopes for this one when I read the description and I think it exceeded my expectations. I don't really pick up much pear in the tin more of a sweet smell somewhat typical of virginia flakes from Europe. However once lit everything changed. To me it's like Dunhill flake with the most natural essence of pear. I taste somewhat typical, but excellent mature virginia flavors with dark fruit and bread and a little spice but what I love is how the natural pear essence creeps into my nose so I'm smelling it more than tasting it. Just great stuff. I find it pretty much medium all the way around and very pleasant in the morning. I found smoking this very slowly and letting the smoke drift upwards brought out all of the flavors. Curious what happens to it over time, not that I feel it needs any. Four stars.

Pipe Used: Various briars