Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG) Sir Walter Raleigh

(2.80)
An aromatic burley blend with hints of cocoa and Oriental spice, the Sir Walter Raleigh regular mixture has been a popular favorite of countless smokers for generations. A traditional blend of burley tobaccos made in Kentucky.
Notes: This blend is currently produced by Scandinavian Tobacco Group Lane, LTD. Formerly made by Brown and Williamson.

Details

Brand Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG)
Blended By Scandinavian Tobacco Group)
Manufactured By

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.80 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 37 Reviews
Jul 21, 2002 Medium Medium Medium Unnoticeable
A delightfully buxom young lady in a newspaper/candy store gave me a packet of this?and a lovely smile, too?out of sheer gratitude that I was purchasing, for next to nothing, a gorgeous silver-mounted Ardor obviously left over from some previous owner's time. Because I am A PERFECT GENTLEMAN, I graciously accepted it, and even sampled it, though certainly not in my spanking new-old Ardor!

An old piece of Americana, mentioned in literary works of distinction, this is straight, completely undistinguished, sour-mouthed drugstore burley, as dull as grass. And I don't mean THAT grass. I mean the kind that makes cows moo.
Sep 06, 2019 Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Summary: a decent Burley blend with too much goop.

By trying to please everyone, you get no one to full satisfaction. Most of the whines of past smokers -- not mild enough, too much bite, too much nicotine, too much vegetative tobacco taste -- prompted industry to design the equivalent of soda pop or french fries for the pipe smoker, and you get the standard goopy aromatic, layered in flavorings and conditioners like propylene glycol. If this blend had less goop and slightly more nicotine, it would be a standout, since the formula of white and dark Burley with anisette (licorice-type flavoring) is a time-honored winner. Instead, it strikes me as one of the better OTC tobaccos but still too reliant on sugars and goop when it could stand on its own.
r
Nov 01, 2015 Mild Medium Mild Pleasant
I did not expect a sweet, pleasant smoke to come out of this blend - but it does, and in copious amounts. There are no surprises beyond its initial flavor - it stays constantly pleasant. I taste only anise, and little of the natural burley.

There is however a bit of a chemical aftertaste, and it bites. So maybe lightly packed, small bowls is the way to go.
Pipe Used: Peterson Irish Harp 408
Oct 22, 2012 Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant
I like OTC blends, but this one is unsmokable. Literally. It won't burn. I try this tobacco about once every decade and it's always the same. Perhaps it's just me, but I don't have this problem with anything else. After about 40 relights,there is some grey ash, but it's surrounded by black bits that haven't ignited, and the taste becomes a bit nasty, like smoking a cigar butt in your pipe. This has an incredibly bland taste at first, so much so that I can taste the pipe itself more than the tobacco. I don't think I will even use this for cutting too-aromatic blends, as you can do with PA and some others. In short, I'm just gonna toss it. Again.

As a side note, nowhere on the pouch I have does it give the name of the manufacturer. Strange. Beneath the image of Walt it does say "Ever Fresh," which to me means that it's loaded to the gills with propylene glycol. I have had a pouch lying wide open for about three weeks and it shows absolutely no signs of drying out. Maybe that's why it won't burn.

P. S. Tried it again just recently (Nov '20). Same results. Maybe the tub would be more representative? Dunno.
Pipe Used: Large cobs, various billiards
PurchasedFrom: Local B & M turned head shop.
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
Oct 04, 2002 Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable
For many years, Sir Walter Raleigh and Prince Albert, together with Borkum Riff, Captain Black and some of Middleton?s Vanilla tasting blends were about the only pipe tobaccos you could get in Mexico. I tried most of them, and I agree with the esteemed lustra in his perception of SWR. At the time I was trying to kick off my addiction to cigarettes (which I finally managed to do a number of years ago), and I remember that both Prince Albert and SWR seemed very good options, because they very much tasted of cigarettes!

SWR is perhaps closer to cigarette taste than PA; I don?t recall any casing and the flavour seemed rather sweet and sour (probably the cavendished leaf), though very subtle and muted. It is a tobacco easy to pack, easy to light and extremely simple to smoke. There are no complexities, no depth, no magic to it. Pack, light and smoke. Because of it mildness it can burn hot and I remember various cases of tongue bite with this one. Yes: given a situation in which no other brands are available, SWR and PA can do the trick, i.e., an illusion of smoking pipe tobacco.
Oct 03, 2014 Overwhelming Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant
My grandfather smoked this, and it smelled so good. It was part of the pure magic of visiting his house.

I have tried several pouches over the years and always regretted it. Tongue bite, chemical aftertaste, and a ruined pipe were the result every time.

I guess sometimes childhood memories should just be left alone, without an attempt to revisit them.
Aug 19, 2014 Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable
I saw several reviews recommending SRW so i thought that I would give it a shot in hopes that it would be better than Captain Black. Long story short, it wasnt. I ended up blending this tobacco into my better tobacco to stretch the good stuff a little further. Dry out of the pouch, and not very flavorful.
Pipe Used: MM
PurchasedFrom: Local gas station
Oct 25, 2020 Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant
I am a firm believer that all the old drugstore blends have their place, and no one should write them off prematurely. The smell and taste are just as all the other reviews describe: nutty, hint of chocolate, earthy. A very cool smoke. If this was the end of the review, I'd say: "Eh, give it a go, but you won't write home about it."

Unfortunately, that is not the end of my review.

I had issues with this blend. Firstly, the 1.5oz pouch that I got was ridiculously dry - so dry that it literally turned to dust ( not an exaggeration - actual tobacco dust ) as I tried packing it into my pipe. Further, it seemed to be disintegrating into dust even as it sat in the mason jar. Additionally, there is an aftertaste that does not sit right with me. It reminds me of the chemical aftertaste that you have after smoking a cigarette. This is not to be confused with the comparison that burley pipe smokers make to cigarettes - I mean a true chemical aftertaste that is unrelated to the burley.

I tried convincing myself that this was a an oldie-but a-goodie, but after 3 or 4 bowls, I had to dump the rest of it. However, I do not consider it money misspent. For a fiver, I learned an important lesson: Do not buy Sir Walter Raleigh.
Feb 04, 2018 Medium None Detected Mild Strong
If you’re looking for an OTC blend that can be had almost anywhere, you’d be much better off with Captain Black or Half & Half. Sir Walter Raleigh is boring by comparison. I also bought a pouch of the blue “aromatic” and am hoping I like it better. Oh, and it required two relights in a pipe that never needs relights.
Pipe Used: MM cob
PurchasedFrom: P&C
Age When Smoked: Fresh pouch
Aug 09, 2015 Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable
Agree with the review fron J.G. The scent of Anisette is strong, and the soapy note is apparent throughout the bowl. it's so strong that it over poweres the nutty burley or even any tobacco taste i was hoping to savor.

The tin when opened has a STRONG waft of whiskey, cheap perfume, & ammonia. Possibly it will fade in a couple months?

Shame as the tobacco looks like a decent quality, though a bit too moist. Prince Albert or Carter Hall has it beat in my opinion. giving this an optimistic 1-star at very best.
Pipe Used: cob