John Cotton's Double Pressed Burley is a fantastic choice for Burley-lovers, but also for people who may have tried unflavored Burley blends before and didn't care for them. This blend starts with superb Burley that's mixed with just enough naturally-sweet Virginia to counterbalance the earthy sourness of the Burley. Then, a bit of dark-fired leaf is added for smokiness and spice. These tobaccos are pressed and sliced into flakes. Then, these flakes are tumbled out into a chunky ribbon, allowed to breathe, put into a mold, and re-pressed into a crumble cake. This deepens and enriches the flavor while softening any sharp flavors. John Cotton's Double Pressed Burley will be an intriguing change of pace for the Burley fan and might just surprise people who think they don't care for the flue-cured leaf.

BrandJohn Cotton
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
ContentsBurley, Kentucky, Virginia
CutKrumble Kake
Strength
Taste

The nutty, earthy, woody, lightly molasses and cocoa sweet and sour burley is the lead component. The Virginias provide some tart and tangy citrus, grass, earth, wood, bread, and light, tangy dark fruit and floralness in a secondary role. The nutty, earthy, woody, floral, dryly sour and light barbecue, spicy sweet, smoky dark fired Kentucky is also a secondary player as it competes with the Virginias for that position. The strength and taste levels are a couple of steps shy of the medium mark. The nic-hit is a slot behind them. No chance of bite or harshness exists here. It does have a few small rough edges. This crumble cake is easily broken apart to suit your packing preference, and requires no dry time. Burns cool, clean and a little slow with a mostly consistent nutty, mildly sweet, lightly spicy, and rugged, slightly savory flavor that translates the short lived, pleasant after taste. The room note is tad stronger. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Can be an all day smoke for the experienced piper, and very repeatable for those less so. Three and a half stars out of four.

-JimInks

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I enjoy Burley tobacco over all others and was pleased to try this offering. Upon arrival I opened the first of two tins and found a nicely pressed cake of tobacco, neither dried out nor damp. There was no detectable tin note to my nose. I broke a portion off from a corner of the cake and was wasy to crumble it to fill my pipe. What I did like was the fact that the rest of the cake, unlike some other crumble cakes, remained intake.

Lighting was very easy and I settled in for a nice relaxing smoke. I didn't pick up any sour notes with the Burley as I normally do with Mac Baren's Burleys and was happy about that. The blend smoked very smoothly and without bite or excessive heat. There was no detectable flavor, however, while smoking there definitely was a nice tobacco presence in the mouth, full and satisfying. TAny sharp notes I experienced, and mild at that, were most likely from a combination of the Kentucky and Virginia. There was a nice sweetness to the smoke and not at all artificial. This is the kind of tobacco I enjoy the most. Very old-school and pipey, a true codger blend. The room note was of the type that makes one say, "That smells like my grandpa's pipe." My favorite Burley is Wessex Burley Slice and John Cotton's is a very close second. For me, more enjoyable than any of the Mac Baren Burleys and Solani's Aged Burley Flake. Highly recommended with four stars.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Featherweight Half-Bent Dublin

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin

L. Toy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L. Toy (2)

This is a very appealing tobacco in various ways. This crumble cake is rich and dark with small freckles of gold. I preferred to simply break off a chunk and crumble it as I pressed it into the bowl. It burns easily and cooly. I found no hot spots. A delicious malty,molasses, burley taste that stayed pretty consistent throughout the bowl. There is definitely Virginia but I found it more on the nose than the taste buds. Highly recommend giving this a go.

Pipe Used: Various

LiterarySmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LiterarySmoker (107)

I have already reviewed the Double Pressed Virginia in this series and I was impressed. I like the inspiration behind this series and so far it produces a lot of good smokes. I love a good crumble cake and here we have a pressed flake that has been rubbed out and then pressed again. What this process achieves is an incredibly well married and smooth smoke. Today I will start with the Burley.

When you first open your tin you will see a very dense but good size crumble cake. The tin note on this one smells like chocolate, nuts, hay, spiced fruit, and tiny bit of citrus. The cake takes a little work to rub out and it doesn't reduce to dust when you do so. This one packs pretty well in the pipe. I have found these to be a touch more moist than perfect, so a light dry time will help in lighting. Talking about lighting. I've been smoking these blends for a few weeks now, and they all take an easy light. It needs an average amount of relights.

The Burley is up front which I would expect. I taste earthiness, nuttiness with a little bit of cocoa. I also taste the Virginia's here, they are sweet, citrusy, and grassy. There is a little Dark Fired Kentucky in this blend, and it adds a little spice but it mostly melds with the taste of the Burley. The taste here is mellow, the double pressing process has made this a really relaxing smoke.

You will find that this does produce some creamy white smoke, and that your smoke can last for quite a bit of time. The taste is a medium for me, it could be a full but the process that has been used to make this has made it mellow out a lot. The strength is a solid medium here too. Overall, a good addition to anyone's cellar.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Oceano Poker

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

StevieB (2019)

John Cotton - Double Pressed Burley.

This is a proper 'no-nonsense' blend!

The tin holds a single piece of kake, quite dark, well compressed, covered in flecks of lighter Virginia. Although tightly pressed together, it crumbles with ease into coarse ribbons. The moisture of the broken kake is perfect.

The smoke? Very much a Burley-forward one. There's a sweet, smoky flavour from the Va and dark fired, but the Burley leads. Although quieter, these two are enough to detract the smoke from being an over dry, rugged, coarse Burley one; dry, rugged, coarse. This is the style of Burley, to me. I don't find it particularly sweet. Because I rubbed the kake to coarse ribbons the burn from DPB is fairly slow and nicely cool. It doesn't bite; me.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: nice.

Double Pressed Burley? A blend to recommend:

Three stars

Pipe Used: Ismail Baglan meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Two months

Purchased From: Tobaccopipes.com

ChollyWheels Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChollyWheels (9)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

The tobacco art advances -- from a technical point of view this stuff is 100% perfect: exactly desirable low moisture right out of tin, solid cake that crumbles with no effort into bits easy to load, packs with one tamp, burns well. From an industrial and quality control point of view this stuff as good as I've experienced.

That leaves only taste. Burley is just a change of pace for me (my idea of an ideal smoke is Balkan - especially Peretti Tashkent). I'm a sucker for the idea there is a "natural" pure Burley with "natural chocolate" notes -- even though I doubt any of that is literally true. (My betters are welcome to contradict me, but I doubt any 'baccy is "natural," nor can it be).

Double Pressed Burley is not 100% Burley, though the other notes are subtle. I tried to avoid fruit and other analogies -- how can anyone describe taste, anyway? Except this blend tastes close to blends sold as pure Burley (Uhle 00 and I forget the basic Peretti burley I like), and the differences are minor and pleasant.

4 stars