Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG) Sail Regular

(2.58)
Sail Regular is a well balanced blend. Burley and Virginia tobaccos in perfect harmony are the basis, enriched by a selection of Oriental and Brazilian tobaccos.

Details

Brand Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG)
Blended By Scandinavian Tobacco Group

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.58 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 11 - 19 of 19 Reviews
Jul 26, 2010 Mild Mild Mild Pleasant
Probably the mildest of the Sail varieties.

Not very cased, it tasted like pure tobacco.

Nothing distinctive.
May 26, 2009 Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
Looking at the older posts for this tobacco I must conclude this is a different blend than it was at its inception. There is absolutely no anise aroma and all I smell is the natural sweetness of the Virginias and/or any mild topping applied. There was some tongue bite upon lighting this up but it settled down somewhat rather quickly. This is primarily a Virginia-Burley blend and of quite good quality for a "drug-store mixture." The volume of smoke was moderate, the aroma was very nice and the taste left my palate feeling quite clean. I wish this was a bit stronger and more full bodied but I enjoyed sailing off tonight and will probably take it out again until the pouch is gone. My next taste test will be the Sail aromatic (Green pouch).
Mar 05, 2009 Mild Mild Mild Pleasant
Like the other Sail blends, you know exactly what you're smoking. A nice mild flavor with a very agreeable room note. Quite pleasant. However, it does burn hot, so smoke it slow to minimize the bite. It is not my favorite Sail blend. That is (was) Sail red, which isn't available anymore. A pity, as it was a very distinctive smoke...must have been the camel dung fires drying the tobaccos.
Jun 26, 2008 Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I started smoking this when they stopped importing Amphora to the USA. It smokes cool,sweet, and relatively dry. Has a natural cavendish taste and aroma. Tastes mostly of burley with a hint of VA. and oriental. The oriental peeks through on occasion. I like this and Sail Green. This is sweeter and more peppery, the Green is more smooth and chocolaty. This tends to be drier out of the pouch than Sail Green is but it's still sweet and fresh! I enjoy both depending on what mood im in. The Yellow has a tendancy to bite if smoked too quickly, as all Dutch blends do. From what im hearing, the tins are being discontinued. Although a local shop by me can get the tins! All Sail blends only come in pouches now. I don't know if thats good or bad? I kind of liked the traditional packed tin, which is rarely seen these days, but I'll take what I could get! My local shop had a two for one deal on this. {Buy one regular, get one aromatic free} Well, I bought up all he had which came to 14 pouches total, and I had him order me two more 5 packs. One Yellow, one Green.

UPDATE! After two pouches of Yellow my toungue is scorched! I called my local shop and had him cancel the yellow for another 5 pack of Green.
Oct 19, 2006 Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
I used to smoke this on occasion back in the 1980s A couple days ago i found a pouch of this at one of those cigar outlets that carry a few pipe tobaccos. Since finding this site I am buying more of my old blends to see what they are like now. This one for the high price is not a great value. But this is one of those tobaccos that are bound to get mixed ratings. It seems to still smoke fairly well. One trait I cannot stand is its tendency to burn a spot in my throat that has not bothered me since I quit smoking pot. as well as my nose when i blow jets. It is probably the topping, as the tobacco seems to be of a good quality.
Dec 27, 2004 Mild Mild Mild Pleasant
This was once readily available in supermarkets and drug stores in Florida, it is now long gone...

It is an elegant, and mild blend, with a chimerical flavor profile. The burley is dominant, the Virginia lends the faintest sweetness. The casing has a floral and fruity aroma in the pouch. This gently comes through in the taste while smoking. The room aroma is fruity and floral as well, with hints of what remind me of shaving soap.

As pouch blends go this is very classy, and the quality is much better than its peers by Lane or Middleton. Amphora and Skandanavik are in the same league. Could make a nice change of pace, but will not be a regular for me.

It was a bit moist, but once lit, burned cool and dry. Not bad.
Oct 07, 2003 Mild Mild Mild Pleasant
Cavendish is to high end pipe tobacco as KFC is to chicken, yet, for some reason, this blend has never offended me. Sure, it's a tad on the bland side, but it is perhaps the least disagreeable of the readily available pouch blends I've encountered. I have been revisiting many of the "classics", and I would love to report that this is yet another distasteful packet of yuck, but I can't.
Aug 16, 2003 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
I smoked Sail Regular for a few years in the early 70's, very enjoyable tobacco, now it has taken on a whole different taste than I rember it or should I say what I thought it should be like today
Feb 01, 2002 Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Sail yellow was one of the first tobaccos I tried that was not a heavy aromatic. It is a basic Dutch Cavendish, almost shag cut, medium in color, with moderate casing. I never found any Oriental leaf in the blend, which smokes somewhat on the bland side with minimal aromatic tendencies. Cool enough, fairly dry, but not compelling. Just anoher mosly Burley Dutch blend, good in a pinch, but never my first choice.

target="_blank"