Chacom's #1 is a mellow English mixture comprised of Virginia, black cavendish, and Oriental tobaccos with a touch of latakia. It's an easy-going blend that can be enjoyed any time of day.

BrandChacom
Taste
ScienceSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ScienceSmoker (22)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the second Chacom blend I've tried. After trying Chacom #2 (Plum aromatic) and having it become my favorite aromatic... I decided to try all the "#" Chacom's. Opening the tin, I actually thought I mixed up #2 and #1 at first... not because #1 is overly sweet, but just because I didn't smell a ton of typical "English" smells. It's a tad sweeter than the typical English. It smells amazing though.

Lighting up, it tastes like a slightly sweet English blend too. I mean, it's obviously not an aromatic, and it's not coming from any overt toppings, but for an English blend, the Virginia sweetness is fairly upfront. It has a nice spiciness too - what I usually think of as that mysterious Oriental spiciness. After the first few minutes, the sweetness mixes nicely with the spiciness of the Orientals and they come together perfectly. There really isn't a whole lot of Latakia in this blend, but that's ok... it gives the other tobaccos room to spread out.

I considered myself a Lat-heavy English blend guy. I love Quiet Nights and Artisan's Blend and Nightcap... but after smoking Savinelli's Essenza Cipriota and this blend, and loving them both, I'm starting to think maybe a ton of Latikia isn't necessary for a great English blend. Without too much of the sometimes heavy-handed Latikia, there's a chance to taste all the other stuff going on. This is a really nice, complex, sweet and interestingly spicy blend. Chacom is really knocking them out of the park so far.

Bottom line: This is a fairly light, but still complex, sweet, and spicy English blend that's re-writing my idea of what a ideal English blend should be.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Series III 320