Matured red Virginia heat pressed as a whole plug, and then cut into thick, meaty flakes.

BrandKen Byron Ventures
Blended ByKen Byron
Manufactured ByKen Byron Ventures
Packaging2 ounce pouch
Strength
Taste
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The stoved, matured red Virginias provide a burst of tangy stewed, fermented ripe dark fruit, earth, wood, sugar, some bread, mild tart and tangy citrus, light vegetative grass, vinegar, and spice with touches of smoke, cream and floralness. The strength and taste levels just miss the medium mark by a hair. The nic-hit is a tad less potent than that. There’s no chance of bite or harshness, and has few small rough notes. This easily broken apart fat flake needs a light dry time. Burns cool, clean, and slow with a very consistent sugary, tangy, fruity rich flavor that translates to the pleasantly lingering after taste and room note. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. Despite the deep flavor, it can almost be an all day smoke.

-JimInks

babydriver Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babydriver (4)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

i read all of the glowing reviews and based on those figured why not. now i am asking myself why. i have been a pipe smoker for 60+ years and during that time i have had the good, the bad and the ugly. this is beyond the latter. i have tried to prepare the slab in every way i could think of. blender, razor blade, cheese grater etc. no matter how i prepared it it was terrible. it has no flavor, is hard to keep lit and just fails in every way possible. if i could give it zero stars i would.

Pipe Used: various

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: byron

NickMdMx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NickMdMx (2)

After smoking this blend one time I felt the need to write a review (my first review on here as well). I'm a big fan of sweet and tangy red virginia blends, so when I saw this was being released, I knew I would have to get some. I'm glad I did. This is one of the best red virginia blends I've had to date (I've smoked a few different years of McClelland Christmas Cheer, along with C&D Carolina Red Flake, and several of Sutliff's offerings). The flakes are quite thick, and most certainly need some dry time, as they are quite moist and sticky. I didn't dry mine, so I had to relight quite a few times. Charring light gave off sort of a toasted marshmallow flavor, which I tend to get from red virginias. After that, it's a very sweet, fruity, tangy smoke all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Burns quite slow and cool, despite the high sugar content. And I experienced absolutely no tongue bite, even with my bowl having basically no dry time.

I'm looking forward to smoking much more of this blend, and hopefully adding more to the cellar.

Pipe Used: Talbert Ligne Bretagne short billiard

Purchased From: kbven.com

riobrew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
riobrew (64)

McClelland Christmas Cheer is back on a tiny scale. This has all the signature of something we thought lost. Ketchup, vinegar, fermented, deep mature Virginia. Has the same singular taste as well. McClelland stop because of many reasons but one was hard to source the tobacco need. But it was still there just not enough for a large company. But a little guy making small batches it's workable. So thank you KBV for a little taste of days gone by. And a thumb in nose wiggle to the guys that are ripping people off online.

Pipe Used: Buckeye Scott's

Purchased From: KBV

Similar Blends: McClelland Christmas Cheer.