A Burley/Virginia based blend with added black cavendish and a mild Vanilla note. 150th Anniversary is a crumble cake cut of a relatively dark mottled hue.

BrandMissouri Meerschaum
Blended ByRuss Ouellette
Manufactured ByLane Limited
FlavoringVanilla
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging1.75 oz tin
Strength
Extremely Mild, Mild, Mild to Medium
Taste
Extremely Mild (Flat), Mild, Mild to Medium
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
Bibster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bibster (7)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Simply stated, this stuff over-promises and under-delivers.

Upon opening the tin, one is greeted with a very pleasant and somewhat strong aroma of vanilla. The presentation of the crumble cakes is very nice and the cakes rub out easily. The moisture level seemed to be a bit high, but nonetheless the tobacco lit and burned easily and only required a couple of relights, and those were due to my inattention.

And therein lies the problem: 150th Anniversary simply didn't have enough going on to engage my senses. The flavoring is very light, but in addition to the lack of flavor, there is also a lack of body. This was very much like smoking Prince Albert, albeit a bit sweeter and without the very pleasant nuttiness of PA. Given the tin note, I expected a bit more oomph out of this blend. In the end, I was just underwhelmed.

This could easily be an all-day smoke, but I think one could get better value for money and a more rewarding smoking experience by simply buying Prince Albert or the Hearth and Home version of that blend, Prince Andrew. I give 150th Anniversary 2.5 stars.

Pipe Used: MM Apple Diplomat

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Similar Blends: Prince Albert, Prince Andrew.

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (185)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought five tins of this blend as soon as I saw it, opened one immediately and am still experimenting with it. Missouri Meerschaum 150th presents as an attractive umber chocolate brown block of slightly mottled layers that are easy to rub out. From the moment you open the tin, you know that it is an aromatic with vanilla tones. This aromatic element is noticeable in the top third but does not interfere with the blend's smokeability. What was noticeable to me was a relatively weak taste and aroma that continued through the top two thirds of the bowl. Only in the bottom third did it smoke with some strength. That didn't last long and we soon finished off in a very ordinary manner. I don't think that MM 150th is a bad blend. I do think that it is a weak blend and that's my problem with it. Just as I was glumly contemplating a two star review for MM's brand new blend, I began to use it in micro blending. Wow, this stuff has an alter ego! Every blend I inserted it into seemed "improved" and this has continued unabated to this moment. I feel that is worth another star and recommend it to the reader at three stars.

Pipe Used: Rich Lewis 1/4 bent Armadillo-2011 NASPC yearpipe

Age When Smoked: current

Similar Blends: I've smoked aromatic English blends and some of them had a vanilla essence. Here it lasts longer in the smoke than I am accustomed to due to the blend's weaker underpinnings. Still, it blends very agreeably and I rather liked the blend..

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (79)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is my first Crumble cake. The tin aroma is that of quality tobacco and vanilla. It is sweet and earthy. The cake comes at the perfect moisture and ready to go. It packs well and takes a light well. I had to re-light a couple of times, but that could be because I am not used to packing this type of stuff. The aroma is full and has a definite smell of vanilla. I mean the natural vanilla sort and not the ultra sweet vanilla candy smell. The taste is more of a tobacco taste with hints of sweetness. The smoke is rich and full. The nicotine level seems moderate. The wife only tolerates the aroma. As the bowl continues, the flavor mellows and the Burley takes over. The ash is fine and just a little clumpy. The word for this blend is balance. And I mean that both the sweetness and fullness are equal. This is only the second of the MM tobaccos that I will give a full recommendation. The others were good, but were a little too mellow. The other one I fully recommend is American Patriot for the same reason; the flavor was full, but in a very different way.

Pipe Used: MM Pony Express