TobaccoPipes.com

Sutliff's CA-100 is a mellow, ribbon cut English blend that offers a spicy, yet sweet flavor profile.

ContentsLatakia, Perique, Virginia
Where to Buy TobaccoPipes.com
Strength
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Full
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
StevieB (2056)

Sutliff Tobacco Co. - CA-100.

Like Sutliff's Amaretto #777 I reviewed recently I opened this fancying a milder aromatic. I mistook the name and assumed CA-100 was an aromatic. Wrong! Not a steadfast aromatic but a sweet tasting English, with a very notable taste of spicy Perique.

The appearance is different to the picture here. Much coarser and inclusive of some VERY long Virginia ribbons. The smell from the pouch isn't like I'd expect from a blend categorized as an English; not as 'earthy' and much sweeter. The moisture's good, but the loose pouch will have enabled any excess to diminish.

Igniting couldn't be any easier! The Latakia doesn't rule, with a musky, smoky, efficacious, flavour. It shares the lead with the Perique, so the smoke has a spicy, yet woody, flavour. The Virginia seems quite redundant, to me. I could say I taste grass, etc., but I think the palate would need the investigative qualities of Hercule Poirot to pick any out! To me, again being subjective, there seems to be the presence of a very lightly added sweetness. It burns steady enough, but can creep toward warm when puffed with vigour; so, I go easy!

Nicotine: medium to me, easily. Room-note: not bad.

CA-100? I think it's a smoke worthy of three stars:

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Altinok Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: 2 weeks.

garand555 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
garand555 (6)

A mild tasting English. I really like the flavor, but it's a bit low on nicotine for my tastes. Like all sutliff non-aromatic blends, it does better with age. For the price, it's a really good tobacco. If you like English blends and don't like Vitamin N as much as I do, give it a try. It was under $27/lb. You can't go wrong at that price.

Pipe Used: Cob, Meerschaum, Briar

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: tobaccopipes.com

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (338)

Due to the summertime heat here in Southern Michigan, I've been smoking mostly indoors, and mostly aromatics. The wife doesn't mind my indoor puffing, so I try to keep it civil with non-latakia blends. It's the smart thing to do.

I was craving a salty, smoky, creamy English, so I decided to start the review process of CA-100.

It arrived in perfect smoking condition. The moisture was spot on, the cut was mostly uniform, and zero stick/stems. The blend is fairly dark with the Latakia and dark brown Perique, with specks of bright Virginia spread through. It smells terrific, smoky and leathery Latakia, slight musty sourness from the Perique, and a touch of bready notes from the Virginia. It packs very well, and lights without much effort.

CA-100 smokes like a quality English. Woody, very earthy, smoky. Unlike StevieB, I personally do not get any sweetness from this blend at all. It's not a very complex blend, however it's not monotone and uninteresting. It leaves a dry palate, but it's clean and refreshing from the Perique. This has been a good after dinner smoke for me, paired with my evening Grand Marnier neat.