Sutliff's CA-100 is a mellow, ribbon cut English blend that offers a spicy, yet sweet flavor profile.

ContentsLatakia, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
StevieB (1956)

Sutliff Tobacco Co. - CA-100.

Like Sutliff's Amaretto #777 I reviewed recently I opened this fancying a milder aromatic. I mistook the name and assumed CA-100 was an aromatic. Wrong! Not a steadfast aromatic but a sweet tasting English, with a very notable taste of spicy Perique.

The appearance is different to the picture here. Much coarser and inclusive of some VERY long Virginia ribbons. The smell from the pouch isn't like I'd expect from a blend categorized as an English; not as 'earthy' and much sweeter. The moisture's good, but the loose pouch will have enabled any excess to diminish.

Igniting couldn't be any easier! The Latakia doesn't rule, with a musky, smoky, efficacious, flavour. It shares the lead with the Perique, so the smoke has a spicy, yet woody, flavour. The Virginia seems quite redundant, to me. I could say I taste grass, etc., but I think the palate would need the investigative qualities of Hercule Poirot to pick any out! To me, again being subjective, there seems to be the presence of a very lightly added sweetness. It burns steady enough, but can creep toward warm when puffed with vigour; so, I go easy!

Nicotine: medium to me, easily. Room-note: not bad.

CA-100? I think it's a smoke worthy of three stars:

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Altinok Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: 2 weeks.