A quality English blend from renowned G.L. Pease, Spark Plug's tin art immediately denotes its inspiration: A Union Jack comprises the foreground in recognition of the English blends that dominated British pipesmoking preferences in the early 20th century. These original mixtures offered a distinctly spicy and smoky component though the use of Latakia and Oriental tobaccos overtop a Virginia base. Pressed into a dense plug, Spark Plug can be sliced thick or thin, based on individual preference, and it presents a deep, powerful flavor profile, marked by a campfire's smokiness and aged leather from the Cyprian Latakia, married to rich and spicy Orientals from Greece and Turkey, and sweet bright and red Virginias. Like the classic cars that inspired its invention, Spark Plug is charming and satisfying. Take it for a test drive before setting aside to age or enjoy it at full throttle straight out of the tin.

BrandG. L. Pease
Blended ByGregory Pease
CutPlug
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Full
3.9
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

The smoky, woody, earthy, leathery, musty, sweet Cyprian Latakia is the lead component, thought it doesn’t dominate the experience due to the richness of the other varietals. The tangy, potent incense-like, very spicy Orientals provide a lot of earth, woody, smoke, herbs, floralness, pepper, vegetation, a little buttery sweetness with some sourness as important supporting players. One of the Virginias laying the foundation in this production is the tangy ripe dark fruity, earthy, bready, woody, rather vinegary/barbecue-like essence, light citrus, sugar, floralness and spice aspects from the red Virginia. That tobacco is a tad more obvious than the tart and tangy citrusy, grassy, floral, mildly sugary bright Virginia. There’s a light fermented quality inherent in the mix as well. The strength is in the center of medium to strong, while the taste is full. The nic-hit is a slot short of the strength level. No chance of bite or harshness, but there are a few small rough edges as you would expect from this kind of blend. This plug is really more of a denser crumble cake, and easily breaks apart to suit your packing preference. Burns cool, clean and a tad slow with a well balanced, complex, nuanced, mostly consistent, deeply rich, mildly sweet and sour and very savory, floral, spicy, tangy campfire flavor that translates to the pleasantly long lingering after taste and room note. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. It’s not an all day smoke, but despite its robust character, it can be a repeatable experience during your smoking day.

-JimInks

BrokenRecord Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrokenRecord (71)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Spark Plug: Balanced Intensity

The Latakia seems to make up the majority of the plug and it provides a deep cedar-like smokiness and a pleasant old-leather undertone that pervades the smoke without crowding out the other components. The Turkish leaf offers strong floral and sour notes, while the Greek tobacco adds a nuanced complexity that I find difficult to describe. It is slightly sweet and floral with a dry/nuttiness that dances on the tip of your tongue. The red Virginias add just the right amount of sweetness, earthiness, and body to balance out the blend. Spark Plug smokes well coarsely cut in a large bowl (24mm) or shaved thin in a smaller pipe. With the pressing, the tobaccos meld together seamlessly and there is no harshness to be found.

Spark Plug reminds me of a more nuanced and balanced Capt Earl’s Ten Russians. While full flavored, Spark Plug is definitely repeatable and not overbearing. However, the room note will bring swift condemnation from non-pipe smokers.

Salvatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Salvatore (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Wow, what a delicious and well behaved English plug by GL Pease. I've struggled with some of his plugs that others rave about (I'm looking at you Gaslight), so I was a bit leery of this descriptively similar blend. I find Spark Plug a bit easier to work with. As another reviewer described it, it is almost in between a plug and a crumble cake, and thus a bit more cooperative when cutting or pulling apart. But, I'm getting ahead of myself. This is one of the first blends in quite a while that has blown me away with a wonderful aroma when opening the tin. It smells of good old fashioned English, and it does so right in your face. No need for one of those long, drawn out sniffs with your nose practically in the tin. This stuff greets you immediately with smokey latakia and wonderfully sweet and sour Orientals. And if the smell alone doesn't have you ready to pack up a bowlful, the looks of this blend is sure to please. Large blonde leaves peaking out from between various shades of dark brown. A beautifully layered plug, stunning I might say. I went ahead and used a knife to cut off some slices, as that's what you must do with Gaslight. However, I found this plug slices with ease. It is dense but not overly so. It also has a really good moisture content, but as these tins are hot off the press that was expected. It is just a touch moist, which is perfect by the time you go through the cutting and rubbing ritual that makes plugs so enjoyable. After packing up a bowl in a larger pipe of mine, I gave it it's charring light. At this point I could tell I was going to be in for a treat, this stuff takes to the flame wonderfully. After that I sat back and enjoyed one of the most pleasant smoking experiences I've had in quite some time. This blend is flavor times 10! It is smokey, but not in a campfire sort of way to me. It is (and this may just be the tin art subliminally talking to me) smokey in a way more reminiscent of a 60 year old Auto repair shop. I'm not kidding, I close my eyes and I can picture myself sitting on an old vinyl couch in the waiting room of a 60's hot rod chop shop while smoking this stuff. Anyway... It is smooth as can be, while being a step past medium in strength. Bits of sweet come thru from the Virginias, and the smokiness is always there, but its the Orientals that really make this blend memorable. A solid 4 stars for this Pease masterpiece!

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Spartacus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spartacus (4)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a medium English blend. It has larger leaves in it so I get strong sweet taste from the Virginias and then Smokey flavor from the Latakia. The spicy back note of the orientals is also present but not as often. Sometimes it’s a mix of all three and other times is shines singularly. There is no harshness to the retrohale. I like this tobacco and will cellar some tins for some aging and deeming laws if they should materialize.

Pipe Used: Castello Trademark

Purchased From: Cup O Joes

riobrew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
riobrew (54)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

What can I say, GL Pease is a Master. This blend showcases his taking something to a new level. Start with a very strong cedar Latakia from Cyprus, add some floral and sour Turkish tobacco, backed by a sweetness of Virginia. It both strong, spicy and smokey but mild nicotine. A wonderful plug that should age nicely.

Pipe Used: Peterson Aran Pot

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Similar Blends: C&D Star Of The East.

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (216)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

I bought this one a few weeks ago and is a really fresh tin of 01/22/20. The name intrigued me. I thought that this might be a hard plug similar to 3Ps but as one reviewer described it, it is like a cross between plug and crumble cake. On the top of my plug was a huge black leaf portion imprinted in the plug somewhat like a fossil. This has an excellent top-notch smell of leather. This cut also has somewhat larger chunks of tobacco leaves. I tore a corner off and began to tear this into pieces. Though I did not, this one really due to the size and thickness of the cut should probably use some drying time as I had to light this one quite a few times. This smokes cool, clean, smooth and I also like the fact that the flavor profile tends to change as the smoke progresses. There is plenty of dark almost black tobacco and also some very blonde leaves in this plug/cake. This is another one where all of the tobacco melds together to became a superb smoke. The more I smoke this the better I like it. I had some more this morning with my coffee and a good way to start the day. I would rate this as a mild-medium Latakia blend but one does not always need to smoke a Lat Bomb.

Indianapolis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Indianapolis (30)

I dont feel like this is a 4 star mixture... yet! It may be with age, but it's a new mixture and tastes "raw" still. I'll re-review after my tins get some age.

For now, this is an interesting balkan. The overwhelming note for me is cedar -- each bowl, I sorta feel like I just smoked my cigar humidor. The orientals are very very woodsy, slightly tangy, and only mildly sweet. The latakia is not overwhelming at all, and provides some nice cool smoothness. There are moments of sweetness (likely virginia), and moments of butter notes, which are nice. But then the cedar...

Mine was made in January, and has been in a jar for a few weeks. I'm plugging through the tin, but really more eager for how this develops and settles for my other tins in the cellar. I'll check back in 6 mo or a year, minimum, because I think this blend needs it

nkulk8r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nkulk8r (81)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

The Union Jack on the label is more than somewhat appropriate: One would be hard pressed to find another blend as quintessentially English as Spark Plug (in a tobacco ecosphere chockablock full of high quality English blends). Even the kake (I would hardly call this a plug) looks like it came from the bloody bog (in fact, I peeled the different layers of tobacco apart as if it was from an immature peat bog) . . .

No need to smoke three tins of this for a proper evaluation; no need to cellar this for three years before it is deemed smokeable -- simply charring a bowl of Spark Plug is all one needs to do in order to understand they've made a great purchase (in fact, merely opening the tin is all one needs to do in order to understand they've made a great purchase). Spark Plug is an English blend I could smoke all-year-round -- even in the middle of an August heat wage -- which is not something I can say of most English blends I have cellared.

I gave this a two-hour dry time fresh from the tin (but it probably could have used another hour of drying).

Pleasingly earthy undertones, lovely leather overtones, pleasantly sweet and smoky and so endearingly English, Spark Plug hits on all cylinders.