BrandKen Byron Ventures
Manufactured ByKen Byron Ventures
CutPlug
Strength
Taste

The various red Virginias provide a burst of fermented tart and tangy ripe dark fruit, a little semi-tart citrus, bread and vegetation, plenty of earth and wood, light sugar, lemon, spice, vinegar, floralness, and touch of acidic sourness. I also detect a bare hint of smokiness. Some of the Virginias are aged, which accounts for the matured, fermented sweetness, and variance of colors. The strength and the nic-hit are medium, while the taste is a couple of steps past that mark. It won’t bite or get harsh, but it does sport a mild roughness. I consider this is to be a plug rather than slices. It’s easy to break apart, and the moisture level is not high, so it’s ready to smoke right off the bat. Burns cool, clean, and slow with a well balanced, very consistent, deeply rich tangy sweet and mildly rugged savory flavor that translates to the pleasantly long lingering after taste and room notes. Leaves little dampness in the bowl. The number of relights will depend on how you prepare it, but expect to have a number of them. It can be an all day smoke for the veteran, but probably not for the less experienced. It’s repeatable in any case.

-JimInks

Spartacus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spartacus (4)

This is a straight Virginia that comes in a plug. I cut out a 3 oz plug from a 12 oz slab. I sliced then rubbed out a few bowls. This has a sweet Virginia taste with a mild earthy flavor to it. This is a quality Virginia that smokes really well. It really shines when you take your time and sip this blend slowly. I get a strong bread flavor when I retrohale. I could probably get it to bite if I quickened my cadence. I am not able to pick out all the nuances that Jim gets but I never have been able to do that. This blend has become one of my favorite straight Virginias. Definitely one for the cellar. I am going to imagine this will age beautifully. This is a take your time and enjoy it tobacco blend.

Pipe Used: Joshua Ronish Dragon Briars Custom

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: Ken Byron Ventures

Snappo's Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Snappo's Pipe (21)

So glad I ordered the large slab of this plug because it is SCRUMPTIOUS! Tried to get it to bite me but just kept purring like a gentle loving kitten... full of sweet Virginia goodness that begs for a follow-up pipeful!