Virginia tobacco with a hint of lemon and blood red-orange topping and perique to top it off.

BrandWilke Pipe Tobacco
Packagingbulk
Strength
Taste
3.8

The grassy, tart and tangy citrusy, lightly tart lemony Virginia also has some earth, wood and a hint of tangy dark fruit as the lead component. The mildly spicy, raisiny, plumy, earthy perique is a secondary player with the plum peeking out a tad more than the other aspects of this varietal. The moderately applied, lightly tangy blood red orange topping synergistically works with the tobaccos to create a harmonious, mildly complex experience, and doesn’t sublimate the varietals very much. The strength and taste levels are a step past the center of mild to medium. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. No chance of bite, harshness or rough edges. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace with a very consistent sweet and mildly spicy, rather smooth flavor from start to finish. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a short lived, pleasant after taste, and room note. A comfortable all day smoke.

-JimInks

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (313)

After two weeks delay my order came in. One of my items was out of stock so I opted to wait. They did mail it to me two-day priority which was nice. A pipe club friend of mine PKT on this site introduced me to this Tobacconist from our club meetings. I had never really heard of them. My friend who lived in that area had been doing business with them for decades. I heard that they were having a 20 percent off sale so I ordered some to have something to look forward to as I am stuck at the ole homestead. I chose this one first to try. This blend has a really nice sweet mild (orange) aroma with predominately blonde ribbon with medium dark ribbon interspersed throughout. It is really moist as the ribbons clumped together like a small ball of worms. Nice analogy huh? I loaded it in my Claw Meerschaum and sort of let it dry in the bowl so to speak. It lit up nicely and smokes smooth with a fantastic mild topping that really in my opinion compliments the tobacco and gives it a more natural taste and smoke. This is mild in nicotine and flavoring but will be an excellent summer blend as the days get warmer. Personally, I do not smoke blends seasonally i.e. Latakia in the fall, winter; Virginia spring, summer but if you do then this is a great one to start out the spring.

Pipe Used: Claw Meerschaum

Purchased From: Wilke Pipe Tobacco

PKT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PKT (30)

An easy going Virginia with a touch of Perique and a orange flavoring. Smokes very well with limited complexity and a relatively mild taste. An excellent all day blend with that does what it does very well. John has added a very good blend to an impressive line up.

Pipe Used: Panel Billard, bent apple moderate sized bowls

Purchased From: Wilke

suitou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
suitou (38)

I love this one: rich sweet and grassy aromas from the Virginia leaves, citrusy from the Perique, a dark fruit hint, and a bit of sourness from each leaf. These authentic flavors, plus a beautifully dressed blend of lemon and blood red orange with a lustrous aroma! I really love it. I will definitely order this gem of a blend by the pound next time. A blend that guarantees "mouth full of happiness". Speaking of which, my smoking experience reminded me of The Virginia Cream by G.L. Pease. Maybe it's because I felt a hint of vanilla somewhere in there.

Pipe Used: Toshiya Gotoh Pyrope Bulldog

Purchased From: Wilke Pipe Tobacco

Similar Blends: G. L. Pease - The Virginia Cream (Heirloom Collection).

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (156)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

In a word, Excellent! Mild citrus, hay from the top drawer Virginia in this blend. The Perique is a secondary flavor with some spice and figgy notes. Not overbearing with Perique like some blends. The toppings of lemon and blood orange are deftly applied and do not take away from the tobacco but instead I believe they enhance it! Lizzies Blood Red Virginia deserves a shot from anyone who is seeking a rock star blend. A four here only because it is the top. Next order will most assuredly see a large quantity of this blend!