The Haunting is unlike many other cigar leaf-based pipe tobaccos, which often contain Latakia — instead, The Haunting consists primarily of cigar leaf and Virginia tobaccos, showcasing the delicious cigar notes and complementary sweetness of the Virginias. It's a blend that bridges the gap between cigars and pipes, catering to cigar and pipe smokers alike.

Blend TypeCigar Leaf Based
ContentsCigar Leaf, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Full
Tolerable to Strong
2.5
DragonBriars Josh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DragonBriars Josh (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

The new buzz on the town and my thoughts (review). Most of us pipe smokers started smoking sticks of some sort. For many people our first pipe tobacco experience may have been a Virginia. I for one can justify the pursuit of perfecting a crossover to appease both the hankering for both a cigar and a pipe. Here lies the problem. Many of us have evolved into much more of a connesuier of both and we seek the best of the best. This blend is a step in the right direction for sure. It is both a good Virginia blend and a good cigar leaf, but it is by far not the best of either. That being said, I think this is a great blend for someone out there who likes a good cigar or a good Virginia. It's a solid blend and I recommend trying it if you have the opportunity. The Virginias have a nice sweet that melds with the sweet of the cigar leaf but it loses any flavor it might have brought to the table. No citrus, no grass or hay, no fruit. The complexity comes at an even keel throughout the whole smoke. It is proportionately perfect in that aspect. Rich, robust and creamy. Stays lit perfectly out of the tin. I think this will age well for sure and I can't wait to crack my second tin in 5 to 10 years. If it were available all the time would I run out and buy it to have in my rotation? Nope. But that's just me. I prefer better cigars, and better Virginias. And kept separate. When I want a cigar I want a cigar and when I want VA, it's going in my pipe.

Pipe Used: No name meerchaum, Dragon Briars various designs

Purchased From: Gifted

Similar Blends: Nothing that I have tried yet. Maybe Samois.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

The mildly sweet, sour and spicy, tea-like, woody, earthy, vegetative peat-like, cedary, smoky, leathery, cigar leaf is the main component. The grassy, citrusy, mildly dark fruity, lightly earthy Virginias have less of an effect than their percentage in the blend would normally allow them. You will notice them only to a small extent. The strength and taste levels are medium. The nic-hit is a step and a half behind it. Won’t bite, but has some rough edges, and if puffed quickly, may expose a harsh note or two. Burns clean and mostly cool at slightly faster than a moderate pace with a very consistent, mildly sweet and rather savory flavor from top to bottom. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a lightly lingering, almost camp fire after taste that’s a tad sour and bitter with a much stronger room note. Can be an all day smoke for those experienced in this type of blend, and repeatable for those less so. Two and a half stars.

-JimInks

Rustedrailsmokes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rustedrailsmokes (147)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

While it is young (tinned on 9-28-19) it seems to be a blend which reacts differently depending on bowl size.

The tin note has a cigar smell. There is also a little bit of hay/sweetness. The moisture level seems great. Its a ribbon cut and you can tell the different tobacco components. My tin has some twigs in it, which I'm guessing are from the cigar leaf.

Easy to pack and light.

The first bowl was a very small canadian which I use as a taster for Va/Vaper. In this bowl it was very spicy from first taste. Peppery to the point it felt like some Perique might be in there. The roof of my mouth tickled throughout the bowl. The taste was a mild cigar. I didn't pick up much of the VA at all in the small bowl.

My next bowl was in a Fat Author with a much larger bowl. In this bowl, the VA had a chance to shine and I picked up more sweetness. In this bowl its a very well balanced blend where the cigar leaf acts to add a great "highlight" to a VA strong blend. It burned great with just relight at about 3/4 point.

Wife said the room note was cigar. She actually thought I was smoking one inside which is usually against our agreement. I let her smell the tin and she wrinkled her nose.

I'm interested to see if with some age what the VA will do. I'm hoping the sweetness will develop more and some more depth to the blend. I'll be smoking it in larger bowls at this point.

Pipe Used: Small Bowl Canadian and Fat Author

Age When Smoked: a couple of weeks

jedibastard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jedibastard (29)

A mild cigar with the spice of a medium to full body cigar, in pipe tobacco form. Mildly sweet and grassy. Sour leather charm with some spice on the tip of your tounge. Is it good? Yes. But i felt like i was waiting for this to open up...or surprise me with something. I guess i was expecting more body or boldness to this smoke. Maybe age will help, it usuall y does with cigars.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin.

Art_A Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Art_A (9)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Cornell & Diehl - Warped: The Haunting - Cigar Leaf, Virginia. I am a fan of cigar leaf tobacco and this one does foot the bill but I felt that something was lacking. This is a ribbon cut and stays lit and burns good. I kept waiting for it to kick in and it never did I added a bit of Latakia to the blend and found it was much better. SWMBO may find it a bit over the top. Two stars as is and three after the addition of the Latakia

Pipe Used: Tinsky Bookkeeper

Purchased From: gift

RonR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RonR (29)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Strong

3rdGuy

Not a bad smoke but doesn't exactly leave me longing for more. Curious to see how the Virginia component ages out and what it may add. Burns fairly fast without bite. Pretty easy to keep lit and can pack it pretty tight. Cigar note is leading the pack for sure. I have 9 other tins I will age, could be a sleeper down the road. Worth a try if you run across a tin.

Pipe Used: Cobs