A wisp of incense from the monastery at Leng. Exotic spice from the City of Ulthar. Wine fermented by the ageless Kuranes himself. Only in timeless Celephaïs could these esoteric ingredients be procured. A ritual performed over a bed of red and bright Virginia, with hints of dark fired leaf and Kasturi results in an otherworldly aroma that beckons all dreamers back to Celephaïs.

Notes: Released September 2019.

ContentsBlack Cavendish, Cigar Leaf, Kentucky, Virginia
FlavoringOther / Misc, Spices
Packaging2 ounce tin
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Medium, Medium to Strong, Very Strong
Taste
3.7
BrokenRecord Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrokenRecord (66)

Visions of Celephaïs: A complex grape aromatic

Well then...this blend definitely pushes the genre of an aromatic blend. The most prominent flavor in the tin note and smoke is the topping. I pick up mostly grapes (leaning towards an artificial flavor) and some wine with a hint of ginger or some other baking spice. The topping permeates the entire smoke, yet the subtleties of the tobacco are still discernible.

The Kasturi leaf is the next most noticeable ingredient—adding a pleasant depth, earthiness, and spice. The Virginia varietals are grassy—adding a crispy edge to the smoke—and slightly tangy. The dark fired leaf mostly lurks in the background but adds a little nuttiness and slight oak smoky undertone. I did not find any black Cavendish in my tin or in the smoke, though the content list on Smokingpipes includes it.

Visions of Celephaïs definitely fits in with the other blends in the Old Ones series in terms of flavor profile and use of Kasturi. While I will not hoard this blend, it is a pleasant departure from my normal rotation.

N.B. 1) The casing is quite strong right out of the tin. If you don’t like grape flavored tobacco, you probably won’t like this blend. Letting the ribbons dry out for thirty minutes lessens the intensity of the grape flavor and shifts the overall flavor profile of the smoke from the topping to the Kasturi.

2) The grape topping will ghost a pipe like no other tobacco. I now have a cob dedicated to this blend.

Similar Blends: Mix Captain Black Grape with Awakened Elder.

LoneRider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoneRider (23)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

My head spun, mind boggled, and my legs went weak. Was it the tobacco? No, for the first time in my 48 years of smoking, my wife spoke the words, "That smells good." And it smoked like a dream. The tin note is a bit overwhelming at first. I thought, "Oh, I don't think I'll like this." Boy, was I wrong, wrong, wrong! This is a fantastic aromatic (and I've smoked many, many aromatics). This Vision of Celephaïs is one of the best. Upon lighting one gets slammed by the grape casing. But, I didn't let that stop me. Slowly as I smoked, that intensity mellowed and the tobacco really came through nicely. A perfect balance of the tobacco and the casing was found. This is a blend that I would buy by the pound. I wouldn't consider this as an all-day tobacco, though. One might tire of it. I bring it out in the evening when my vert tolerant wife is home. She loves the scent!

Pipe Used: Rattray's "The Dune" calabash

Age When Smoked: one month

Similar Blends: Nothing that I've ever smoked..

Perdurabo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perdurabo (26)
Medium Very Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Damn Mr. Reeves, what rituals did you do to divine this amazing Mixture?

Tin note is musky ancient incense, Cyclopean minerals, and grape musk. The tobacco smokes well, no real hang ups that come with aromatics. The Kasturi takes center stage behind the topping, with a spicy ginger and clove note. The Virginias add some sweetness around the edges. The dark fired provides an earthiness that creates the illusion of burning wood upon which the incense is thrown. Black Cavendish propels the topping, and adds a splash of brown sugar from time to time. VoC is an amazing tobacco, that works as a palate cleanser between Your favorite blends.

My daughter says the room note smells like a mixture of Cheese, and candy. Shrug

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: 8-23-19

Similar Blends: One of a Kind.