A pronounced smoke delivering a robust taste for smokers later in the day.

Notes: Equivalent to Dunhill Aperitif, Charatan Four Leaf is comprised of the ‘Scottish’ recipe that is cavendish, Latakia, Oriental and Virginia.

BrandCharatan
Blend TypeScottish
ContentsCavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Mild, Medium, Medium to Full
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
2.3
StevieB (2065)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Charatan - Four Leaf.

Firstly, I've not piped the original for many years, so can only go from my notes.

Well, I and many other reviewers thought very highly of Dunhill's Aperitif. So like the other Charatan clones of Dunhill blends, this has big shoes to fill! How does it compare? Let's see!

Popping the lid reveals a blend with a few correspondences to the original. Same colour, same cut, same decent hydration, and the same aroma; a definite inclusion of Latakia. A bowl fills easily and ignites without a hitch.

The flavour's synonymous to the original. The first equivalent to jump out is that the Latakia adds a clear 'seasoning', but isn't too headstrong. On the whole, the tobaccos are really well rounded. There's rich Virginias (not too grassy, but quite fruity), piquant Orientals, and sweet Cavendish. I note, with Four Leaf, the first part of a bowl has a light sweetness from the Cavendish, but as the bowl progresses it seems more reminiscent of a light casing; honey, perhaps. It isn't the coolest burn; not 'hot', but above medium if pushed. However, it doesn't bite.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: nice.

Four Leaf? Even though it can become slightly above medium in temperature, it's still fermionic enough to deserve four stars:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: A few. Altinok Lee Van Cleef whilst typing

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos

Jonno51 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jonno51 (11)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin note is underwhelming, with little aroma at all, and no Latakia smokiness.

The mixture is pale brown, dark brown and almost black, with no golden virginias apparent.

Moisture level is good straight from the tin, no need to dry at all.

It lights easily and smokes well to the end, with only the char and true light needed. A cool smoke with no suggestion of tongue bite.

So here I am with my copy of Roget's Thesaurus next to me, but the only three adjectives I need are 'bland', 'uninteresting' and 'disappointing'. I am no Lat hound (my favourite Scottish mixture being Red Rapparee should tell you that) but the almost complete lack of Lat taste was a shock.

I will press the rest of the tin, using my £15 eBay pasta press, put it in a mason jar and revisit it in 6-9 months. If that improves it, I will update this review accordingly.

I have never smoked the Dunhill Aperitif, I bought this 50g tin to tick off another Scottish mixture. The next one in my sights is Robert McConnell's St James Park, also touted as an Aperitif clone. I have a tin on it's way from Germany courtesy of a good friend in Augsburg. SJP is not available in the UK.

Update 16/02/21 - after 5 days in the pasta press (turning the screw morning and night as the tobacco compresses further) I now have a hard disc which smells much more strongly of latakia than it did out of the tin. The effect of the leaf structures breaking down under pressure, who knows. This is encouraging though and I will give it six months in the jar before smoking some and reporting back.

Pipe Used: Vauen 4415 bent briar

Age When Smoked: 50g tin arrived this morning.

Purchased From: My Smoking Shop, Preston, England

Similar Blends: Supposedly as close as they could get to Dunhill Aperitif. If it is at all close, which I suspect it isn't, then I am not surprised that Peterson saw no reason to include Aperitif in the parcel of blends they bought from Dunhill..

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (145)

Next in my tour of Charatans Dunhill substitutes, to my taste the rhyming "Four Leaf" is a dull understudy to that fantastic blend, although I can't find any particular defects besides excessive moisture content. Maybe I would have felt differently if it had not associated itself with that splendid, complex tobacco, and it does fit the same place of a richer blend for late in the day.

The tin aroma is the first sign: there isn't much of one. It's a very mild, smokey, hint of orientals aroma, and certainly doesn't leap from the tin to greet you. The tobacco is an uneven ribbon with some big chunks, and is supplied very moist indeed.

The flavour from the light is unremarkable, middle of the road English, the sweetness from the Cavendish is not so great as in the Dunhill blend (strange, as several of the Charatan blends have been much sweeter than their predecessors). There's a salty tang to the latakia. In its moist state as supplied there is a tendency to harshness not quite reaching "bite" but not at all what I expected in a blend with Cavendish. It tends to gurgle a little. These defects are reduced now the tobacco has dried a bit, but it's not velvety smooth. I have to say, the flavour is better now its been open a while and dried out a bit.

There isn't much development through the bowl, and that's the main thing setting the original apart. When I smoked Aperitif, almost every bowl would catch my attention at some point because the flavour was just so good, so rich, sweet and delicious and it varied from start to finish. This tobacco, while inoffensive, just doesn't capture my attention like that.

It burns to a minimal wad of dottle, without much need for relights. It has perhaps a smidgen more nicotine than Dunhills Aperitif.

All in all, not bad, but not a great substitute for Aperitif. I'd rather enjoy my recollection of that splendid stuff than risk dulling those happy memories convincing myself that this is similar. Thankfully I have a tin of Aperitif left for when I need to remind myself just how damn good it was...

Pipe Used: Northern Briars Bulldog

Purchased From: Turmeus Liverpool

Similar Blends: Dunhill Aperitif.