This is a medium bodied blend of rich and smoky Cyprian Latakia, complex and exotic Orientals, and select, sweet Virginias, pressed into an easy-to-prepare crumble cake. The aroma will remind you of incense, but the flavor is smooth, smoky, and intriguingly unique.

BrandSeattle Pipe Club
Blended ByJoe Lankford
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging2 ounce tin
Strength
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
2.5

The smoky, woody, musty sweet Cyprian Latakia takes a very small lead at times, but there is a lot of inconsistency in the overall flavor, so that lead is very equivocal, especially after the first few puffs. The main competitor is the woody, earthy, dry and very sour, lightly sweet, sharp, fairly floral, incense-like, spicy, zesty Turkish and Orientals. One of the Orientals is yenidje. The red Virginia provides tangy, mildly fermented dark fruit, earth and wood. The grassy, tart citrusy brighter Virginia is a condiment. Although the Virginias rise up to compete with the Turkish and Orientals once in a while, they are mostly in third place. In fact, the Turkish and Orientals will even supersede the Latakia at times. Despite the variability of what the components bring to your palate, you will notice all their attributes at some level or another every moment you draw smoke in. The strength is a step below medium and the taste threshold is medium. The nic-hit is just past the center of mild to medium. Won’t bite or get harsh, but there’s a rough edge at times, which is typical for this kind of product. This crumble cake blend easily breaks apart to suit your preference. Burns cool, clean, and a little slow with a semi-sweet, sour and rather savory campfire quality that translates to the lingering after taste. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and needs some relights. Can be an all day smoke for the veteran. I give this two and a half stars, rounded down to two because the aforementioned inconsistencies.

-JimInks

Mild None Detected Full Tolerable

I can't believe I am the first to review this blend and, unfortunately, I can't recommend this blend. This may be due to something peculiar within my own biology, but I can't smoke a bowl of it without getting into a coughing fit. It starts by causing a scratching to the back of my throat that no liquid can smooth. This is known to happen to me from time to time and always with a Balkan blend, so I think it is likely attributed to a certain oriental of which I may never know.

Lest I confuse anyone, I would also like to point out that I am not an inhaler, so if this happens to you like it does me, then you should avoid this one at all costs.

Now to the actual tobacco. It was given to me in Chicago, at this year's show, as a sample. which was fortunate, since it was so disagreeable. It is billed as a medium bodied English, but it felt more full to me than that. Granted, I am a bit of a lightweight when it comes to these types of blends, but if I were asked about the taste, I would call it a full Balkan.

Like a Full Balkan it is smelling a campfire the next day after the dew has got to it. There is a considerable amount of sourness and bitterness with the orientals. Very little sweetness at all in this one. The Virginia may as well have been left out of the mix.

If there is a good thing to say about it, I will say it is a Sutliff Cake/flake blend. Cake/flake because they are referred to as both depending on who is using them in which blend. They are flake in Peretti's number 8 and they are considered a kake here. Whatever term you use, they are great fun. They easily crumble and perform well under fire.

In Chicago, I witnessed several people smoke this and comment on how good it was. I don't put much weight into these assessments however, as most of these good friends (myself included) are usually inebriated with whiskey with scorched tastebuds from smoking much more than we are used to. I am giving this one star as I can't smoke it due to the itch factor, so I can't recommend it. Sorry SPC, I do love nearly everything else you do.

KingDuncan83 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KingDuncan83 (13)

I would call this an oriental forward than a typical english. The latakia/orientals/turkish are sublime in how they take turns bringing a different spice to the tongue. The va's provide a subtle sweetness that is very enjoyable. I really like crumble cakes and this is a wonderful example of the best! SPC just makes great blends. Enjoy!

Pipe Used: cobbs

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Criblo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Criblo (5)

An unbalanced mess of a blend. It is like they got Balkan Sobranie and added an obnoxious amount of Latakia. I say this because the Yenidje adds that familiar character but there is just a roughness around it. I don't think I have really liked a SPC blend outside of Plum Pudding. The others seem like they just haphazardly threw ingredients into a tub.

Seattle Pipe Club - Wild Man.

LOL, in the UK the weather's been atrocious, so I've been inside smoking loads to keep dry! This has been my staple smoke, and although it's received a few negative ratings (until now; 30/9/19), I think it's quite a jubilant smoke!

So, unlike some kake blends which arrive as just one clump this arrives as slithers of kake. The pieces are dark, with some lighter mottles, and a smashing amount of hydration; mine was ready to smoke straight away! Because the kake's already thinly sliced, for a kake, rubbing/preparation's easy.

At first I find that the Orientals/Turkish occupy the dominant position; slightly fragrant, somewhat acetose, and very vibrant. The Latakia takes second place, giving more of a strong, arboraceous, woody flavour, than a smoky one. The Virginias don't really become apparent until about a third into a bowl. Then, a notable sweetness, rich fruitiness, enters the game. So, what starts out as an Oriental cartelised flavour develops and becomes deeper. Wild Man burns well, for me, I like to rub it quite well. Of course, relights are a dependant on your preparation preference; so, let's forget that; a moot subject! Because W.M. has no topping don't expect the palate to receive a blast of artificial subconrading; it's a natural, enjoyable, flavour.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: quite nice.

Wild Man? A smoke I'll happily give four stars to:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Dracula #999

Age When Smoked: 1 Month

Rustedrailsmokes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rustedrailsmokes (145)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

The Tin Art is great and has the usual great story line I expect from SPC.

It's defined as an English on the tin. Popping a 2oz tin, there were 8 large "chunks" of Krumble Kake without hardly any broken chunks. Smell was Latakia and Oriental forward. Moisture content was great as I was able to pick off a few pieces and easily load a Canadian.

Lighting was quick. Char light, then it picked up great with no issues.

The taste to me is at the light was VERY oriental forward, complimented by a campfire Latakia smokiness. Midway through the bowl it became more creamy as the Red VA came to the table. The orientals have a peppery taste that would make me think there was Perique hiding in there somewhere (not listed). The bottom third of the bowl lost some of the spice and finished with more of the creamy taste.

No tongue bite even without any drying time. Burns well down to ash with no real effort besides a tamp or two. Mild nicotine in my book, I could feel it but not a powerhouse.

This one could take the place of some of my departed McC Orientals in my rotation. It will probably be more of a fall/winter blend to me.

Pipe Used: various Canadians