Frog Morton, eat your heart out! A decidedly English-style tobacco that is incredibly kind to the mouth and packed with flavor! A generous helping of latakia is accompanied by noticeable Turkish Izmir, ribbon cut Virginias, unflavored black cavendish, and a dash of soft burley. A complex blend and a non-aromatic treat!

BrandThe Country Squire Tobacconist

3.8
BlackAdderLXX Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BlackAdderLXX (5)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

When McClelland closed up, I was caught off guard. My favorite blend of theirs, Frog Morton's Cellar was no more and by the time I had heard about the closing, my opportunity to hoard was lost. I had heard that Northwoods and Shepherd's Pie were close. I tried Northwoods first and while it is a good blend, I hesitate to compare it to FMC. I finally tried Shepherd's Pie a couple of months ago. It definitely is closer to FMC than Northwoods, but in my opinion, it's got it's own thing going and I like it better. I had a chance to try all three side by side and I confirmed my thoughts: Shepherd's Pie > FMC > Northwoods.

Shepherd's Pie is a nice mild English with a touch of sweetness from the Cavendish. In spite of the mild taste, it has a decent complexity. Definitely an English crossover reminiscent of the beloved FMC.

Pipe Used: Various Briars, Cobs

Purchased From: The Country Squire

Similar Blends: Frog Morton Cellar, Northwoods.

The smoky, woody, earthy, musty sweet Cyprian latakia may be the star component, but this blend is not a lat-bomb.The dry, woody, earthy, floral, mildly spicy, sour Izmir is a supporting player. The Virginia provides some dark fruit, earth, wood, grass and a little citrus in a secondary role. The nutty, woody earthy burley acts mostly as a condiment. The same can be said for the unsweetened sugary, toasty black cavendish that tames some rough edges. The strength is just past the center of mild to medium. The nic-hit is in that center. The taste is a step past the strength level. Won’t bite or get harsh. Burns cool and clean at a moderate pace with a sweet and mildly savory, consistent flavor that translates to the lightly lingering after taste. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Can be an all day smoke.

-JimInks

Noctivagant Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noctivagant (11)

This a wonderful mild to medium English. There is a defined sweetness from the Cavendish and the Virginias that continues through the entire bowl. This is balanced by the sec dryness of the Turkish and Latakia. They also convey a slight spiciness and a very pleasant body and creaminess to the smoke. I don't detect any of the burley, but it may be contributing to the body as well.

As BlackAdderLXX said, even though it's no lat-bomb, it is complex and very well balanced.

I've been lamenting the loss of Dunhill Aperitif much more so than Frog Morton. This definitely has a similar flavor profile of a medium English with some Cavendish and Virginia sweetness as Aperitif does. This is a very worthy replacement for me, and I find it much more satisfying in every way than any of the Frogs.

Nicotine is mild side of medium, and this is a very easy smoke with perfect moisture in my package of it. Very similar to Dunhill English blends for ease of packing a bowl and just sipping. Well behaved with a tolerable room note for an English.

Pipe Used: Cobs, meerschaums

Purchased From: Country Squire

Similar Blends: Dunhill Aperitif, Frog Morton OG.

Jarvey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jarvey (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

When I think of sitting back and having a relaxing mild smoke, this is my go to. It tastes exactly how it smells, not to complex on the palate and as smooth as butter.

Smokes pretty cool, I tend to get a lot of smoke out of this one. Leaves a beautiful smell around.

I will update after I smoke it with some age.

Pipe Used: Sav 111

TCody Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TCody (13)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I liked Frog Morton, but this is better; and it fills the same niche. If you like a flavorful, easy to smoke English that is not boring, try this one. You won't be disappointed.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Shell Prince and similar

Purchased From: The Country Squire, Jackson MS

Similar Blends: Frog Morton, Presby, John Cotton's #1.

Bushido Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bushido (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

A fantastic mild English. Buttery and a little sweet, with some smokiness. Some compare this to FMC, and while it’s in the ballpark, I actually like SP better, as the flavors are a bit more ‘blended’ together and it does not have the sharp whiskey undertone of the Frog. Not as bold or flavor forward as Northwoods, this is one that I reach for when I can’t decide on what to pack.

Purchased From: Country Squire

Similar Blends: Boswell’s Countryside, FMC, Northwoods.

Piper Piper Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper Piper Piper (3)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

This is a great English tobacco with good proportions of Latakia and other goodness! The flavor is most reminiscent of a FM blend weirdly enough FMOTT but more smooth on the palette!

Pipe Used: Rattrays Goblin

Age When Smoked: 7 Months

Purchased From: Country Squire

Similar Blends: FM Blends.

unsociablehobbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
unsociablehobbit (2)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

sweet, sour and smoky. this had me going for puff after puff. no bite to speak of and a rough edge was few and far between. left a pleasant aftertaste, sour and tangy with a hint of rasinettes (rasins/chocolate) and smoke. tin note is soft, smoky and leathery.

i tried this and some other english/american blends of this style looking for something close to my beloved Nat Sherman 536 which is no longer in production. this is the closest i've found so far and will be taking up room in my cabinet for sure.

Pipe Used: Viking Classic Quarter Bent Dublin

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the post

Purchased From: thecountrysquireonline.com

Similar Blends: nat sherman 536.