Frog Morton, eat your heart out! A decidedly English-style tobacco that is incredibly kind to the mouth and packed with flavor! A generous helping of latakia is accompanied by noticeable Turkish Izmir, ribbon cut Virginias, unflavored black cavendish, and a dash of soft burley. A complex blend and a non-aromatic treat!

BrandThe Country Squire Tobacconist
Blended ByCaleb Crawford/Jon David Cole
Manufactured ByThe Country Squire
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

The smoky, woody, earthy, musty sweet Cyprian latakia may be the star component, but this blend is not a lat-bomb.The dry, woody, earthy, floral, mildly spicy, sour Izmir is a supporting player. The Virginia provides some dark fruit, earth, wood, grass and a little citrus in a secondary role. The nutty, woody earthy burley acts mostly as a condiment. The same can be said for the unsweetened sugary, toasty black cavendish that tames some rough edges. The strength is just past the center of mild to medium. The nic-hit is in that center. The taste is a step past the strength level. Won’t bite or get harsh. Burns cool and clean at a moderate pace with a sweet and mildly savory, consistent flavor that translates to the lightly lingering after taste. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Can be an all day smoke.

-JimInks

BlackAdderLXX Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BlackAdderLXX (5)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

When McClelland closed up, I was caught off guard. My favorite blend of theirs, Frog Morton's Cellar was no more and by the time I had heard about the closing, my opportunity to hoard was lost. I had heard that Northwoods and Shepherd's Pie were close. I tried Northwoods first and while it is a good blend, I hesitate to compare it to FMC. I finally tried Shepherd's Pie a couple of months ago. It definitely is closer to FMC than Northwoods, but in my opinion, it's got it's own thing going and I like it better. I had a chance to try all three side by side and I confirmed my thoughts: Shepherd's Pie > FMC > Northwoods.

Shepherd's Pie is a nice mild English with a touch of sweetness from the Cavendish. In spite of the mild taste, it has a decent complexity. Definitely an English crossover reminiscent of the beloved FMC.

Pipe Used: Various Briars, Cobs

Purchased From: The Country Squire

Similar Blends: Frog Morton Cellar, Northwoods.

Noctivagant Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noctivagant (11)

This a wonderful mild to medium English. There is a defined sweetness from the Cavendish and the Virginias that continues through the entire bowl. This is balanced by the sec dryness of the Turkish and Latakia. They also convey a slight spiciness and a very pleasant body and creaminess to the smoke. I don't detect any of the burley, but it may be contributing to the body as well.

As BlackAdderLXX said, even though it's no lat-bomb, it is complex and very well balanced.

I've been lamenting the loss of Dunhill Aperitif much more so than Frog Morton. This definitely has a similar flavor profile of a medium English with some Cavendish and Virginia sweetness as Aperitif does. This is a very worthy replacement for me, and I find it much more satisfying in every way than any of the Frogs.

Nicotine is mild side of medium, and this is a very easy smoke with perfect moisture in my package of it. Very similar to Dunhill English blends for ease of packing a bowl and just sipping. Well behaved with a tolerable room note for an English.

Pipe Used: Cobs, meerschaums

Purchased From: Country Squire

Similar Blends: Dunhill Aperitif, Frog Morton OG.

TCody Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TCody (13)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I liked Frog Morton, but this is better; and it fills the same niche. If you like a flavorful, easy to smoke English that is not boring, try this one. You won't be disappointed.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Shell Prince and similar

Purchased From: The Country Squire, Jackson MS

Similar Blends: Frog Morton, Presby, John Cotton's #1.

Jarvey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jarvey (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

When I think of sitting back and having a relaxing mild smoke, this is my go to. It tastes exactly how it smells, not to complex on the palate and as smooth as butter.

Smokes pretty cool, I tend to get a lot of smoke out of this one. Leaves a beautiful smell around.

I will update after I smoke it with some age.

Pipe Used: Sav 111

Piper Piper Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper Piper Piper (3)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

This is a great English tobacco with good proportions of Latakia and other goodness! The flavor is most reminiscent of a FM blend weirdly enough FMOTT but more smooth on the palette!

Pipe Used: Rattrays Goblin

Age When Smoked: 7 Months

Purchased From: Country Squire

Similar Blends: FM Blends.

Bushido Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bushido (17)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

A fantastic mild English. Buttery and a little sweet, with some smokiness. Some compare this to FMC, and while it’s in the ballpark, I actually like SP better, as the flavors are a bit more ‘blended’ together and it does not have the sharp whiskey undertone of the Frog. Not as bold or flavor forward as Northwoods, this is one that I reach for when I can’t decide on what to pack.

Purchased From: Country Squire

Similar Blends: Boswell’s Countryside, FMC, Northwoods.

JJ Sir Emmitt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JJ Sir Emmitt (40)

So sweet creamy mild English blends may be my least favorite type of blend outside of aromatic blends. And this blends completely embodies this. However this statement is a statement of my personal preference and not a judgement of the blend itself. Infact this blend seems to be of very high quality, balance and depth while being a very easy going smooth smoke.

This blend brings smokey sweet flavors of toast, cream, honey, wood, and some coco.

Burns easy and cool, no complaints. I just personally do not enjoy mild English blends but this should be a slam dunk win for those that do.

JPWalshIV Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JPWalshIV (1)

More than just a Frog Morton substitute, I enjoyed this blend very much. I have had the opportunity to smoke several of the Squire's blends and have found them all to be top notch.

Purchased From: The Country Squire

Bumble Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bumble (53)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

To give you a hint from where my below impressions are coming from; I favor aromatic blends, although I am finding I enjoy English/Scottish blends more frequently, which I could not stand when I first started smoking a pipe. I have been trying more of the English/Aromatic combo blends, which I have found being more and more of that I am reaching for for my everyday smoke

Opening the bag what I smelled was a lite note of Latakia and the background was, with none of them overwhelming the other...

The flavor I tasted was mostly the Latakia, with some of the Orientals and the Virginia (maybe sweetness from the Cavendish, but that may be my imagination). Although the Latakia was dominant in both smell and taste it was not overwhelming, I would call this a mild English blend. To describe this as creamy would be proper... I may have found another blend to add to my daily rotation!

It arrived semi-dry, so absolutely no drying time was needed. Was able to light this without issue and few relights. I did not have any tounge-bite with this blend.

Pipe Used: Rattray Goblin 99