Sutliff Tobacco Company Mixture No. 79

(1.93)
Rich burley tobaccos, blended to the original, time-honored formula of the Sutliff's of California, maintains the tradition of this perennial favorite. A topping of natural vanilla flavoring gives this basic pipe tobacco blend a soft, sweet aroma to enhance its already mild, biteless, round taste.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

1.93 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 21 - 30 of 36 Reviews
Jul 24, 2010 Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant
I must say this is quite a nice blend. This is one of the best OTC blends I have smoked over the course of time. The coarse cut make it easy to fill up the pipe and light up. Almost a licorice type of taste to this blend. This has a really nice room note to it and has a good amount of nicotine to it. The price is right as well. I would definitely recommend this blend for the new pipe smoker or if you want a change of pace from your normal blend.
Jun 11, 2010 Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable
not like any other didn't taste vanilla a more black liquor taste or licorice
Feb 22, 2010 Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable
This is one of those weird blends. Some people like it right away while others want to vomit at the thought of taking another puff.

Strangely this blend sort of grows on me little by little. I don't like throwing things away that someone else might like. After the first bowl instead of heading for the trash can I tossed it in a drawer. A couple of weeks later I tried it again. I found it not quite so sickening but still not good. A couple of weeks later and I get the urge to try it again.....

Right now it's back in the drawer but I've got a feeling I'll be digging it out again soon.
Feb 06, 2010 Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I first tried this blend back in the late 70's, influenced by the fact that Hugh Hefner smoked this blend. Remember Sen Sen mints, the little anise flavored candy about the size of a small piece of confetti? Well this tastes like those to me and I happen to like them. On the other hand, I know people who gag on them. I smoked this for a while in the 70's and moved on to other blends. I was in a tobacco shop this morning saw old 79, and decided to give it a whirl in a cob. I liked it, nostalgic yes, but it wasn't as bad as some reviews I've read today. I think most people are going to love it or hate it, depending on your tastes. It is an "Old Fashioned" aromatic, flavored with old fashioned things, like anise, molasses, vanilla, and bourbon, that hit the senses strongly, because they don't back down on the flavors. Not much in the sense of strong tobacco flavors here, so don't expect an English or Virginia. I recommend a looser pack, or else it might bite. I give it a 2 and a half, neutral, because Mixture 79 will either be ambrosia or bad tasting medicine.

BTW, unless you plan to smoke this on a very regular basis, only use a cob, your briar will taste like 79 for years to come!
Oct 05, 2009 Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong
The tobacco itself seems to be of a very high quality. Lights easy, stays lit very well. When I first opened the 1.5 oz pouch I really liked the smell. To me a bit like black licorice with a hint of chocolate. But when lit its smell is completely different; a strong weird smell of women's perfume. I'm nearly certain that it contains dried rose hips. In addition, it tastes like roses too. It's not horrible, but let's say you'd really have to be in the mood to smoke something like this. This is probably not something most people would want to smoke every day.
Apr 08, 2009 Mild Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable
Not a winner in my book. I do enjoy the hint of anise I taste but its not enough to get over the perfume taste.
Apr 05, 2009 Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant
Over the years, I like to smoke this occationally though it's too aromatic to smoke all the time. I don't think it deserves the bad rap it gets, it has is place and when in the mood for it, I like it. When I do, it gets positive comments on the room note. It is sweet, purfume tasting and is like eating an orange liquirice candy. But it has it's followers and has been around a long time. I does own the pipe after smoking so suggest it in a cob.
Jul 23, 2008 Medium Very Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
I always wanted to try this. I am not sure why. I hated it the first time, loved it every time after that. Amazing my tastes have changed the way they did. It is strong but for some reason I like this....quite a lot! It is different, but enjoyable to me. I chose somewhat recommended because I think you should try everything. I just find most people don't enjoy smoking it. Give it a try, you never know.
May 26, 2008 Mild Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable
Its not the big floral note or aroma that I found objectionable in this infamous mixture,it smokes too hot and its the bite and the long lasting after taste that gets me,plus its $5.49 for a 1.5 oz. pouch locally,thats way too much for a tobacco like this.
Sep 27, 2007 Mild to Medium Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Similarly to DakotaPeacePipe, I tried this because a colleague swore by it. I really did not notice any aroma when he smoked it. It was another story when the pouch I bought was opened. Upon lighting up,it was like stepping into old Aunt Gertie's house. The perfumey smell that must have been used to cover something else. A Saturday night only bath tradition more than likely. Anyway, about mid-bowl the fragrance seemed to dissapate. If like my colleague, you like this blend, have at it.

target="_blank"