Dunhill clone by Wellauer (Swiss pipe tobacco manufacturer).

BrandWellauer & Co
2.0
Pippifein Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pippifein (5)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Opened tobacco smells boring, maybe some bread and toasty notes! While Smoking the taste ist mainly characterised by Virginia. Latakia ist hard to find, at the very most there are smoky notes to find. I cannot clearly dedect orientals. The smoke ist mild an inexpressiv. There is an unpleasant prickle in the nose. Overall there are smoky and toasty notes, it reminds me to the smell of cardboards. I will not by this again.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 628

Age When Smoked: 50

Purchased From: Local Dealer

Strichetto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Strichetto (21)

Bought in Switzerland in 2019, this is the tobacco created by Wellauer to substitute the Dunhill Standard Mixture Mellow, no more available (a real damage, that was one of my preferred all-day-long tobaccoes)... a little more cheap but not the same thing, it's really far from the originator... I have a question to ask to Wellauer: where is latakia, in this so-called "english" mixture? I've not found it at all!

Scent: not bad, but you can't find even a shadow of smokey latakia aroma…

Taste: more harsh, acidic (and stronger) than the old beloved Dunhill. No biting.

Room note: maybe not pleasant, but light, no problem.

Burning: lights easy and burns correctly, quite slow.

Briars: for EMs and BMs I always smoke my dedicated classic british and irish briars, in this case sadly erasing the aged wonderful latakia aroma. That's no good…

Well, this tobacco maybe is not horrible, but really not good enought, especially comparated with the former Dunhill, I think. And more, I like latakia (Syrian, if possible) based mixtures, and this tobacco has not. And is not declared on the tin, to be true, but only in the description above here. I cannot recommend it, it's surely not my cup of tea, and I'll not buy it again.

Pipe Used: Classic Dunhill, Charatan, Comoy's, Peterson's