Kingsfoil is a medium-full Virginia/Kentucky mixture with the natural sweetness you expect from yellow Virginias and the rich, smokiness characteristic of dark fire cured leaf. This tobacco burns clean, and will have you stompin’ your feet, hobbit-style!

Notes: From the blender, Jon David Cole:

Strength
Taste
Rustedrailsmokes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rustedrailsmokes (271)

I tried some Kingsfoil and found it very comparable to Cowboy Coffee without the Cavendish element in the CC. Between the two, I prefer CC by a smidge.

The Kentucky provides a spice/pepper touch which compliments the Virginias and provides a flavor which lasts throughout the pipe.

Presentation is the typical Squire ribbon with the Kentucky obvious in the mix.

The Squire lists it in their non-aro section so I do not believe that it has any toppings (it was listed in here with a Carmel flavoring)

From the Blender: Jon David Cole

Yea of course Kingsfoil has no topping whatsoever. We use a variety of unflavored bright leaf Virginia and fired cured Kentucky in the blend only.

Pipe Used: various

Age When Smoked: fresh from bag to 1 year

Purchased From: Country Squire

Similar Blends: The Country Squire Tobacconist - Cowboy Coffee, The Country Squire Tobacconist - Green Dragon.

Desertislandtoolworks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Desertislandtoolworks (18)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I simply can't make up my mind on this blend. It has undertones of the virginas that I love but the kentucky dark fired to me overwhealms that. It's not unpleasant but also not a flavor I like much. This is the second blend I've tried with dark fire that I didn't much care for. Not sure if in a smaller dose I'd enjoy it more as there is something about the smokiness I do like. I may try blending this with some virgina to see what happens as well as trying a little more age on it. Overall I think the tobacco is well made, packs and burns well, just not my cup of joe.

Pipe Used: Billiard, corncob

Purchased From: The Country Squire

cm1648 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cm1648 (89)

Prep: The moisture level came just about perfect

Summed up in one sentence, this is Green Dragon with a hint of Kentucky. The Virginia base is top notch, with a nice array of dark fruit notes, bread, honey, and spice. It is why Green Dragon became a top favorite Virginia blend for me. The Kentucky is there, but not nearly as evident as I expected. The earthiness and nuttiness is present but faded in and out for me. I didnt find the nic level too robust as well. Solid blend, but if you're looking for a stout Va/Ken blend, you may be disappointed. 7/10

You can find a more complete review here, along with the other LotR blends from The Country Squire: YouTube Video

Bumble Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bumble (38)

As a newer pipe smoker, I am mainly exploring the different blends (I favor aromatic blends, although I am dipping my toes into the non-aromatic blends now) to find what I like.

Like many others, I am a huge fan for Tolkien! So naturally I wanted to try some of the available themed blends out there. So far as of 2021 the only easily obtained commercial versions are from The Country Squire and Just for Him. This review is for the "Kingsfoil" blend from The Country Squire series, there are 6 blends with a mix of 3 being aromatics and 3 being non-aromatics (Longbottom Leaf sadly is no longer produced and I cannot try this mix).

Opening the bag, what I smelled was the hay from the Virginia and the earthy Kentucky.

The flavor I tasted was the Virginia tobacco and the smokey Kentucky which stood out to me. There is no topping on this blend. I have not tried it yet, but I heard TCS Cowboy Coffee is very similar to this, but deeper in flavor from the Kentucky and I will have to try this.

It was semi-moist and I did not have to dry this out before smoking. I did not have any tounge-bite with this blend.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob

Purchased From: thecountrysquireonline.com

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (93)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

A nice surprise here with strength and flavor. Most of The Country Squire’s tobaccos are quite mild, which is not a bad thing, but this one has quite a nice medium strength flavor and power.

There seems to be a good variety of Virginias in this blend with just enough DFK to make it a bit stronger and to keep it interesting. It burns relatively cool for me is pretty clean-burning.

Oh, I’ll definitely smoke the rest of the 2 ounce bag that I bought and will order a good deal more. This tobacco has truly grown on me and have been enjoying it a good bit. Still, I will have to keep some stronger tobaccos around when I want that nicotine punch, but this one is quite serviceable.

Pipe Used: Petersons