Cup O' Joes

Aged red Virginias pressed into a vintage crumble cake providing an exceptionally sweet and smooth smoke.

Blended BySutliff Tobacco Company
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging1.5 ounce tin
Where to Buy Cup O' Joes
Strength
Taste

The various aged red Virginias provide tangy dark fruit, quite a bit of earth, some wood, and extremely light floral, sour and bread notes. There's a touch or two of vinegar that isn't very obvious much of the time. They have some aspects of both McClelland 5100 and C&D’s Carolina Red Flake. The strength and taste levels fall a step short of medium. The nic-hit is a hair short of the center of mild to medium. Won’t bite or get harsh, but once in a while, you may notice a light rough edge. This crumble cake is mildly moist, and easily broken apart. Burns cool, clean and slightly slow with a very consistent flavor from top to bottom. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires just slightly more than an average number of relights. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste and room note. An all day smoke that would also make a good mixer. Three and a half stars out of four.

-JimInks

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (155)

Here’s a straight VA that might be acceptable to smokers who generally avoid VAs. It’s soft, very sweet, fragrant, and easy to prepare and smoke. Sutliff’s Crumble Kake Red Virginia presents in the tin as two large, thin-ish kakes (or two large, very thick flakes) that look to be made from pressed, fine shag tobacco, mostly deep, very dark brown in color with some golden and light brown flecks. After smoking it I guess it’s mostly deeply stoved and air cured, fermented reds and orange, with some brown, along with a little flue cured lemon. Tin note is muted, dark fruit leather, and over a couple of days some vinegar comes up (although it’s MIA when SCKRV is smoked). Anyway, there’s not much going on in the way of a tin note. Looking back, IMO it’s worth setting the re-closed tin aside for a couple of days before smoking SCKRV. Prep is just busting a chunk off a soft kake and pushing it into a VA pipe. I prefer this blend from a 3 – 4 pipe. It lights easily, and the smoker is immediately treated to a mouthful of sugar along with copious smoke. The combusting scent is fragrant, fluffy, sweet wheat muffin over stewed plum and peach, with fragrant, distant burning leaves, and the taste is a light, “voluminous” version of the scent. Again, this blend tastes very sweet, because there’s plenty of sugar on it. Tastes include some muted VA spices that intensify (relatively speaking) as it’s smoked down, gaining a little sharpness/acidity, and more of this as it burns down. For me, it basically smokes itself (with some tamping) down to past ¾. Then, absent some stirring, it goes out, at which point I prefer to toss the remainder rather than trying to smoke it. If it’s stirred and smoked down further it becomes somewhat acrid/ashen, at least compared to the main part of the smoke. YMMV, of course. Strength is mild. Tastes are more mild than medium. Room note is pleasant. Ash avoided, aftertaste is a sweet, lingering best of the smoke.

Yup, this is a good one, all right; easy-peasy, kick back, no-brainer good. It is pretty much one dimensional, but it’s a very good dimension! Although it’s hard being a VA these days, SCKRV offers enough for 4 stars.

Pipe Used: dedicated VA briars

Age When Smoked: rested 1 week

Purchased From: Cup O' Joe's

TomTomPipersSon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TomTomPipersSon (1)

A beautifully crafted crumble cake of Red Virginia's. Sweet, but not overbearing. Definite Red Virginia characteristics, light ripe fruit notes, not at all citrusy, no notes of hay or grass. Not McClelland, but with some age in the tin, I would dare to say it would come within the conversation. I'm proud as a North Carolinian that my state produced this fine, flue cured and fermented albeit briefly) leaf. Absolutely no bite. A good all day Red Virginia smoke.

Pipe Used: Rossi Rubino

Purchased From: Pipes Ltd.

Similar Blends: McClelland Virginia's, Cornell and Diehl Small Batch Carolina Red Flake..

Mostly black to dark brown with some light flecks, this came in 2 brownies that were incredibly easy to crumble. A soft pinch and pull did it just fine. A weird tin aroma (and indeed this tobacco was strange for a simple red) that I'm told is vinegar. I got that but I also groaned at what I thought may be an excessive Sutliff PG smell. As this one dried out quickly enough, my worry there was for nought. But the tin aroma is one I don't associate with straight reds. I think they were going for a McClellands fermented sileage aroma but missed, possibly due to the tobacco not being aged long enough. As straight reds have all but disappeared from the U.S market, I certainly can't blame Sutliff for wanting to get this one out quickly!

Each bowl of this started out smooth but with strange flavors. An occasional rough spot, but mostly smooth and with a kind of "wet" feeling. Wet isn't the best descriptor but if you're familiar with a dry mouthfeel, this one is the opposite. Kind of babies the palate - very soothing. Eventually this locked in and what I got was mostly what I would expect from a straight red... that tangy, dried fruit zesty roundness. But along with that, at times I got a spicy, fruity flavor that I associate with a light addition of perique. Is there perique in here??? Sure tasted like it and the snork rendered a light nose tingle I also associate with that condiment. Further, this blend is rounder than, say 5100 or Watch City's Simply Red. Not too much sweetness (just enough) but I suspect a small bit of bright VA is in here as well. All in all, I found this to be a "straight" red that has been fritzed with a bit. I think their 515 is a better example of a standard red VA. I actually liked this one enough to award it 3 stars but I think it's on a different plane than 515. This is just "more" than what I'm accustomed to with reds. No worries, though - this is a fine blend. Not one I'll stock up on but I enjoyed smoking it. It's not 5100, and that's ok... 515 is closer to that and Watch City's Simply Red closer still. The latter is where my dollars will go, but I wouldn't kick either Sutliff out of my bowl.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (86)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

First, hats off to Sutliff for understanding a big hole in the market and bothering to fill it.

Tin note is vinegar. No joke - not fermented something or other, just plain white vinegar. Singe the hairs in your nose. And if you just load the pipe and fire it... this is pretty bad for about 5 minutes, then smartens up into a pretty tasty red va. Left on the counter for an hour before loading, all that vinegar nose just flashes off and leaves a really nice smelling red va, that deep sweet, almost woodsy smell.

In the pipe this is bigger than the lamented 5100 - more akin to something like Blackjack I supposed. Sweet enough, lots of flavor variation through the bowl... slight ammonia in the snork here and there. Don't know if more age would remove that.

Pleasant tobacco if you can get your head around the vinegar. Not in the same league as either Wessex Red Flake but the effort is there. Not quite a 4 star for me but perfectly acceptable and gladly received as there is a dearth of reds.

Pipe Used: ks111, castello,

StevieB (1903)

Sutliff Tobacco Co. - Crumble Kake Red Virginia.

Appearance: the tin holds two slices of dark brown kake, about half a cm thick; a little similar to Bengal Slices to look at. Preparation couldn't be any easier, a delicate pinch removes a bowls worth from a slice. The moisture's maybe a bit high, but I like a tobacco to be on the moister side for cellaring.

What's the first word to come to mind? 'Wow'. This is a remarkable smoke. Although a Virginia I don't find the smoke consumed by sharp notes of grass, hay, citrus, etc. The leading flavour's one of rich, tangy, dark fruit. The flavour seems a little ambulant, becoming deeper after the halfway point. The smoke has a 'wet' feeling, and doesn't feel dry on the palate. The temperature's quite cool, producing a smoke without a bite.

Nicotine: below medium. Room-note: nice.

Crumble Kake Red Virginia? As tangy as some of the best McClelland Virginias. Definitely worth four stats:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Dracula #221

CoffeeCan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoffeeCan (1)

This is my first review here. I have used this site as a very useful resource and want to “give back”, as it were.

I’ve been smoking pipes for 30 years, off and on; but I took a long hiatus from pipes for about 4 years, smoking cigars only for that time. Well, with an occasional pipe now and then. I’ve smoked some English tobaccos and an aromatic here and there, but I love my Virginias and had settled on several McClelland varieties as my pipe smoking staples. Imagine my dismay when I went online to order some McC’s a month ago and found they had shut down!

I’ve found nothing to compare to my beloved Deep Hollow, but that will come with some blending once I have the requisite substrates, I hope. The real gem I needed to find was a solid, smooth, plain red VA, something like McC’s 5100, and CKRV is definitely in the ballpark. Don’t get me wrong, it doesn’t compare to 5100 as new. But I have a pound of 5100 that’s sat in a jar for 11 years that I’ve just re-opened, and Crumble Kake fresh from the tin is remarkably close in taste and smoking qualities to the well aged 5100.

But enough of the comparo... CKRV presents in the tin as a very nicely pressed cake that crumbles easily. A bit moist, but nothing that half an hour on a piece of clean paper won’t fix. In the tin it smells like vinegar and molasses to my nose, with a deep sweet note under that, and plenty of rich, dark dried fruit greet the turbinates here. None of the old McClelland ketchup, here, I find it much more pleasant.

I didn’t wait, but smoked the first bowl straight out of the tin. The charring light was better than I expected, and after a light top-tamp it took the match much better than its apparent moisture in the tin led me to expect. It made lots of thick, rich smoke; the feel in the mouth was full and sweet with a hint of pepper that makes me wonder if there might be a pinch of Perique hiding in this blend. It smoked hot but without any bite for the first few minutes, then settled down in the middle 1/3 of the bowl, with no heat or bite, and the full flavor really came through. I taste plum and sherry, with strong quiet base of grass and autumn leaves. Deeper into the bowl, the flavor really rolls up its sleeves and gives that satisfying rich, full flavor I look for in my VA’s. The nic hit is stronger than I expected from the other reviews here, a pleasant surprise as far as I’m concerned.

I’ll be buying more of this stuff, and soon. I expect it to improve substantially with a month or two in the tobacco jar, so that’s where my second tin is going as soon as I finish typing this.

Pipe Used: Peterson Aran

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

Purchased From: Cup o’ Joes

Similar Blends: 5100.

Mikefu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mikefu (19)

On opening the tin, one is greeted by two dark brown kakes of tobacco, wrapped in a paper basket, with some broken bits around the edges of the tin. The aroma is wonderful- dried figs, cherries, and a bit of tangy molasses. Brown bread and some spice undertones indicate that this is a well-rounded fermented Red Virginia. The kakes break apart very easily and are a bit moist, requiring some drying time. Filling the pipe is very easy, just rub ever so slightly and pack loose to allow for swelling as the flame is applied. This blend does take a bit of effort to get a good light, but once lit burns well with few relights. The flavor is delightfully tangy dark fruit with sweet dried cherries, figs, and light raisin leading the way with bass notes of mild spice, brown bread and earthy wood drifting in and out among the tang. Sweetness increases as the bowl burns down, as does a lingering light sourness on the palate, augmented by touches of marzipan. Flavor profile doesn’t change much through the bowl, aside from the aforementioned sweetening. Burns clean and dry, and is happy to smolder along. Can get nippy if pushed, but it burns so well that shouldn’t be an issue. Overall, a very nice fermented tangy red that should only get better with age.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Tomcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tomcat (29)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

The kakes break apart quite easily . Kind of like marble cake but much smaller pieces and you don’t have to worry about it rubbing to crumbs . Lots of thick fairly sweet smoke . Tastes better in a medium sized pipe . A little hay and grass and some baked bread and a little spice but not a lot . Not really any citrus or dark stewed fruit . Some vinegar does come through but not in a bad way . When i crave some red Virginia this does what i expect . A whisper of cocoa from the natural red Virginia taste . I like it . 3 1/4 stars just because it doesn’t wow me . It is damn good though .

Oldbelt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oldbelt (10)

After endless days of mourning the closing of Mcclelland, I decided to find something that would satisfy the void without constantly breaking open my reserve stash. Many half smoked bulk samples and opened tins scattered around, I went back to McCrannies and pleaded for help. Having gone through the same transition, ( their bulks were blended with McClelland and they always had an ample tin selection) it was recommended that I try the Sutliff crumble Kake Va. Wilh skeptical thoughts I bought one.

Open the tin: two brownies of Kake Va. neatly packed.

Aroma: dark fruit, fermented Va. notes. Smells promising.

The rub: a little moisture which was nice. Better than too dry.

In the pipe: loads easily, charring light had familiar notes. Relight and was carried away by Va. goodness. Smokes consistently all the way. No grass or hay. After all it’s tobacco not fescue. Good flue cured and stoved tobacco. It’s why I enjoy a pipe.

Overall: it’s not McClelland and not should it be. It stands on its own as a good straight forward Va. I look forward to putting a little age on some tins. I think it has great potential.

Pipe Used: Wiley patina

Age When Smoked: Straight from tin

Purchased From: McCrannies

Similar Blends: McClelland 5100.

RondyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RondyR (6)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is currently my new favorite tobacco. Got to try it about a month or so before its release and I fell in love with it. I do not have the taste buds of Jim, not even close, but I absolutely enjoy every puff of this blend. The tobacco is at a fine moisture level and breaks off and rubs out easily. It is sweet, delicious, and satisfies the ol’ sweet tooth. I like it so much, in fact, that I’ve already purchased nearly a dozen tins and plan on grabbing more.

Pipe Used: Sebastian Beo Pot, Stanwell BB Rhodesian

Purchased From: Tobaccopipes.com

Similar Blends: C&D Carolina Red Flake, McClelland 5100.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (117)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

At first whiff one would think Sutliff is trying to take over where McClelland left off. But, I don't think that sour tang is from fermentation but the addition of sodium acetate or diacetate which is a food ingredient that imparts an acidic sour-salty aroma and taste i.g. salt & vinegar potato chips. It's different than acetic acid from fermentation and taste to me(and others) almost metallic with an undertone of gun powder. I hate it. This is a common ingredient used for decades in the tobacco industry and Sutliff uses it across their bulk cavendish blends. It just ruins tobacco especially aromatics where one may be smoking the likes of a maple cavendish with those metallic sour notes coming through. It just doesn't work. And it doesn't work with this tobacco of otherwise good red virginia. Fortunatley, it doesn't seem to come through the smoke which suggests to me it is being applied as a topping after made into a cake and sliced. Smoke wise, very mild for a virginia, light on the nicotine, simple and straight forward. Sutliff is trying to deceptively pass this off as a matured tobacco which it isn't. Get rid of that chemical additive and perhaps add a bit of a sweatener to reinforce the darker virginia flavor and then it would really be something.

saintcajun78 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
saintcajun78 (5)

This may be my favorite tobacco so far. Just like many novice to intermediate pipe smokers out there I have been trying to find the "ONE" and I have found many tobaccos that I liked and some that I didn't care for (not a Latakia or Kentucky dark fired fan) like Blockhouse and White knight...I wanted to like these but I was highly disappointed once I tried them. I started like most (2016 timeframe) with aromatics because they smelled great, however the taste of many of these (not all) left something to be desired. I then tried blends like Frog Morton's "On the bayou" and "Cellar" as well as Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi River and Plum pudding and loved the Tangy-sour element these provided. I also tried Orlik golden Sliced and learned I really like Virginias which led me to try others like Peter Stokkebye's twist flake, bullseye flake and Navy deluxe twist. I loved the hay-like smell out of the tin, the retro hale as well as the natural sweetness you get when its smoked slowly.

So getting to back to Sutliff's Crumble Kake Red Virginia. I already knew that I liked Virginias and that I liked the tangy-sour element of Mississippi River, Plum Pudding and the Frog Morton series but little did I know that I would get all those elements from this can of Red Virginia. If I had to pick which tobacco I had to choose from if stuck on a desert island it would be this one! I love this stuff!

Pipe Used: Leonessa capri

Age When Smoked: New tin

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (50)

This tobacco has been a very pleasant surprise! It definitely helps fill some of the void that was left by our dearly departed McClelland tobaccos. In fact, as some have already mentioned, it's very close to MC 5100. It's mild with a nice tangy sweetness that reminds me of marshmallow. Like all fine Virginias, it's subtle and nuanced. Smoke slowly for maximum enjoyment!

Pipe Used: Peterson Squire

Purchased From: Beehive Cigars

Similar Blends: McClelland 5100.

FP Stew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FP Stew (22)

Once you get over the tin note (Very Strong Vinegar Aroma with Hay and Grass), and once you get past the charring light (also a peculiar taste of something like vinegar without the zestiness of vinegar, mingled with grassy, and slightly figgy), this tobacco settles down to a pleasant Virginia that slowly builds in depth. If you change your cadence, you will be rewarded by various subtle flavors that mingle nicely. The last third of the bowl is what keeps me coming back. It is deeper and richer and has a nice calm finish. In the tin, the tobacco has the consistency of thick compressed saw dust like tobacco that breaks up well. You will find that from the tin there is considerable moisture and if not dried out for an hour or so, you will be needing to relight several times. All in all, this is a pleasant tobacco and worth a try.

Pipe Used: several

Age When Smoked: Fresh with out aging.

nkulk8r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nkulk8r (70)

"Wow" is right -- this is a remarkable tobacco. Being relatively new to pipes (2013), and being one of those smokers who generally avoided VAs (initially), I love, love, love this crumble. Just the wonderful earthy aroma, the fruity bouquet and the tang of the tin note alone lets you know this is something special indeed. And it is such a beautifully crafted crumble -- I'm appreciative (and very thankful) that there are people in the world who have the knowledge, the expertise, the science and the art of creating something so pleasing to the senses: to the eye, to the palate, to the nose. The cellar is heavily stocked.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A mild, slightly tangy Red Virginia, but for me (after trying on and off for nearly a year) actually rather boring on its own. Nice to have around to round out some other blends that need a RV boost, or to tone down a blend on days when you want something less forward.

Pipe Used: cobs, meers, and briars

Age When Smoked: fresh when opened