Notes: Dunhill clone by Wellauer (Swiss pipe tobacco manufacturer).

BrandWellauer & Co
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
CountryCH
Strength
Taste
Ernstlbert Hegersbacher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ernstlbert Hegersbacher (17)

This tobacco is a carbon copy of Dunhills My Mixture 965

anyone looking for substitutes for the no longer available dunhill mixtures should take a look at the clones from wellauer

Pipe Used: many

Purchased From: Schwarzenbohler Otmar e.U.

Similar Blends: Dunhill - My Mixture 965.

This blend has come out very recently, only weeks after Dunhill announced they were ceasing all pipe tobacco trade (they had ceased manufacturing a long time ago). This is the exact blend last sold as a Dunhill, only branded as Wellauer. What I can make out in the tin and label design points me to STG, who were last producing this blend for Dunhill, so I guess Wellauer either got a license, or talked STG and Dunhill into letting them have the blend.

Check my review of the Dunhill-branded product if you want to know what I think of it--the link is below in the "similar blends" section.

Pipe Used: Vauen Standard series, MM cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: Store in Salzburg, Austria

Similar Blends: Identical to , Dunhill - My Mixture 965.

Martinus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Martinus (4)

I have bunkered quite some tins of the Dunhill blends, including 965. However, I keep these for more special occasions. Thus, the following is my first impression of Wellauer's 965 on its own, and not a direct comparison.

First, after some very negative experiences with Wellauer' First Choice and English Blend, I was a bit hesitant to purchase a blend from this company. Giving it finally a try, I was very positively surprised. In the tin, the tobacco is presented nicely in the usual paper inlet. Nice ribbon cut, nice smell, without any indication of added flavors, and in deed very reminiscent of the original. This continues when smoking the blend. Some smoky, Latakia based aromas, slight and pleasant sweetness, slightly malty. Overall, very round, and clearly "965-ish". The ingredients seem of high quality. I doubt this blend is being produced by Planta, where Wellauer blends are usually made. Presentation and quality of the Wellauer 965 seems to be far to good. A clear recommendation.

Pipe Used: Various briars, with and without 9mm filter

Purchased From: Wellauer shop, St. Gallen, Switzerland

Similar Blends: Dunhill My Mixture 965, Roman Peter 965.