Brown Cavendish gives it natural sweetness, light Oriental tobacco and small Latakia leaves ensure coolness and a nut-like taste. Strong, classic English.

BrandWellauer & Co
ContentsCavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish
CountryCH
Strength
Taste
Aurorasofautumn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aurorasofautumn (38)
Medium Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

I bought this when Dunhill went out of business and before Peterson introduced the new 965 with the same recipe. Wellauer is usually a brand to be trusted - I really like their Syrian blending Latakia. That being said, I am heavily disappointed in the tin I got. Before getting to smoke my nice bowl of baccy, I had to sort out stems for a few minutes (!). I am not talking of 2-3 stems here but a lot of them. This should just not happen to a premium blender that charges 15 Swiss Francs for a tin. The taste was actually quite OK but as you can imagine I wasn't in the mood for an overwhelming experience anyway after all the sorting out business.

2 out of 4 stars

This blend has come out very recently, only weeks after Dunhill announced they were ceasing all pipe tobacco trade (they had ceased manufacturing a long time ago). This is the exact blend last sold as a Dunhill, only branded as Wellauer. What I can make out in the tin and label design points me to STG, who were last producing this blend for Dunhill, so I guess Wellauer either got a license, or talked STG and Dunhill into letting them have the blend.

Check my review of the Dunhill-branded product if you want to know what I think of it--the link is below in the "similar blends" section.

Update 2019-10-17: It has since come to my attention that, at least in Germany and Denmark, the whole range of Dunhill blends has become available again as Peterson's blends under the same names.

Pipe Used: Vauen Standard series, MM cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: Store in Salzburg, Austria

Similar Blends: Identical to , Dunhill - My Mixture 965.

Ernstlbert Hegersbacher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ernstlbert Hegersbacher (18)

This tobacco is a carbon copy of Dunhills My Mixture 965

anyone looking for substitutes for the no longer available dunhill mixtures should take a look at the clones from wellauer

Pipe Used: many

Purchased From: Schwarzenbohler Otmar e.U.

Similar Blends: Dunhill - My Mixture 965.

Swiss-smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Swiss-smoker (86)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Although this mixture is intended to be a clone of the former Dunhill “My Mixture 965”, I would not go as far as calling it a clone. This mixture is ok but only comes somewhat near to it.

In the first half of each bowl I perceive that well-known and rather unpleasant so-called “petrol station aroma” in the background, typical to many tobaccos manufactured by Planta (Berlin/Germany). It is not utterly obtrusive though. The same goes for the added artificial sweetness. Overall it remains a somewhat recommendable, well-balanced Scottish mixture of mild to medium strength and taste. I will finish up the tin but not buy it again as it does not satisfy my preferences.

Age When Smoked: New, out of tin.

Martinus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Martinus (6)

I have bunkered quite some tins of the Dunhill blends, including 965. However, I keep these for more special occasions. Thus, the following is my first impression of Wellauer's 965 on its own, and not a direct comparison.

First, after some very negative experiences with Wellauer' First Choice and English Blend, I was a bit hesitant to purchase a blend from this company. Giving it finally a try, I was very positively surprised. In the tin, the tobacco is presented nicely in the usual paper inlet. Nice ribbon cut, nice smell, without any indication of added flavors, and in deed very reminiscent of the original. This continues when smoking the blend. Some smoky, Latakia based aromas, slight and pleasant sweetness, slightly malty. Overall, very round, and clearly "965-ish". The ingredients seem of high quality. I doubt this blend is being produced by Planta, where Wellauer blends are usually made. Presentation and quality of the Wellauer 965 seems to be far to good. A clear recommendation.

Pipe Used: Various briars, with and without 9mm filter

Purchased From: Wellauer shop, St. Gallen, Switzerland

Similar Blends: Dunhill My Mixture 965, Roman Peter 965.