Oriental tobaccos mixed with light and red Virginia tobaccos, lightly pressed and then roasted. A classic English mixture, with some latakia refined, medium cut.

Notes: Dunhill Early Morning Pipe clone, and was originally called Early Bird.

BrandRobert McConnell
Manufactured ByKohlhase & Kopp
Strength
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
3.2

The smoky, woody, earthy, musty sweet Cyprian latakia is the lead component. The dry, lightly floral, sour, woody, earthy Orientals take second place in this blend. The mildly tangy, dark dark fruity, earthy red Virginia is a supporting player, and is more noticeable than the citrusy, grassy bright Virginia, which is more of a condiment. This compares favorably with Dunhill’s version, though the latakia and Orientals are a tad stronger here, and the Virginias are a hair less so than what I experienced in Early Morning Pipe. The strength is just past the center of mild to medium, while the taste level is medium. Won’t bite or get harsh, and has a couple rough edges in spots, unlike EMP. Burns cool and clean at a moderate pace with very consistent, mildly sweet and savory flavor to the finish. Leaves little dampness in the bowl and requires an average number of relights. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste and room note. An all day smoke that is slightly fuller than EMP. I gave two and a half stars to EMP. This gets three.

-JimInks

I have smoked exactly one tin of Early Morning Pipe, and I have smoked at least 4 oz of Hearth and Home Daybreak. For a reason I can't explain, I never reviewed them. I am reviewing this on its own and not comparing it to anything else. My memory is a little fuzzy. The sample was sent by a friend in Germany. It came as a medium ribbon - roughly equal amounts of light tan, darker tan and black tobacco. Moisture level was good for me. The pouch note was smokey and slightly agricultural.

Smoked, this was pleasant. There is the smoky latakia and a slightly sweet with the Virginia. The orientals give it a sour note or two. I enjoyed this and found it a nice medium-mild smoke. It stayed lit well and did not leave a damp heel.

I enjoyed the sample and recommend it.

Purchased From: Gift from a friend

HeavyTrees Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HeavyTrees (70)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Another rebuild of one of the I think most sold tobaccos in the world. EMP. Like any of those clones I try to review it as a standalone.

Look in tin is nice. Ribbon cut with also flake shares from golden brown to black. I'd say it's 2/3 of golden and red VA and 1/3 of Latakia and Orients. Cold smell is warm fruity like orange jam with smoky notes on top. Very pleasant but dripping wet so that I dried out overnight. Packs well and takes flames easily as you would expect from an English.

Decent earthy and spicy Orients mixed with sweet citric Virginia build the base and a nice smoky lata taste stays on top especially when exhaled nasal. Tastes do not have ups and downs but stay there through the whole smoke. Kind of an all day English. Smokes cool and steady without much condensate. No relights needed when dried properly.

Pleasant and well blended leafs of good quality. Great for Latakia beginners. Disadvantages are also there sadly. Pricing is high and there's a mentionable amount of water you pay for. For me there could be a little more Latakia punch in the morning.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Age When Smoked: Dried out over night

Purchased From: Local shop

Similar Blends: Dunhill - Early Morning Pipe, Sutliff Tobacco Company - Match Dunhill Early Morning Pipe.

Stah Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stah (48)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

According to "tradition," Kohlhase & Kopp does not put the production date, so we have to refer to the excise stamp. In my case, the year 2019 was listed. Opened the can gave a quiet, but very complex aroma, consisting of the bread smell of quality Virginia with a very light citrus hint, sweet smoky tar latakia, light milky acidity, as well as musk and spice of Turkish orientals. The smell of tobacco is absolutely natural and very pleasant.

The tobacco is cut in even ribbons, well-mixed, but the different varieties are easy to guess, with colors ranging from yellowish brown to almost black. Judging by the bag, Virginia is about two-thirds and the rest is orientals and latakia, although the percentage composition is of course a trade secret of the manufacturer. The tobacco has a normal moisture content, puffs easily, and lights up instantly.

The smoked blend has a luxurious flavor of fresh bread with a sweet flavor, white pepper, turmeric, loose black tea, and a slight flavor of dark raisins. Latakia blends very harmoniously into the overall bouquet - the blend is highly recommended to those who want to try British blends, but are wary of "latakia bombs". The strength of tobacco is below average, it does not change when smoked. The tobacco smokes very cool and smooth, does not go out, however, contains quite a lot of moisture. Despite this, there are almost no ashes.

The smoke from the tobacco has a slight smoky note, generally repeating the smell of tobacco. It does not hang in a carpet, but quickly disperses.

Bottom line: I was very pleased with my experience with this tobacco. The only thing that is a little frustrating is its price, which is a little higher than regular blends. But the tobacco itself is clearly in the premium segment, so there's nothing to complain about. I will definitely get it for my collection on occasion, though I still have a couple of cans left to open. This blend is quite capable of becoming an everyday blend (if, of course, you have enough money to buy it). Considering the Oriental Square review I wrote earlier, you have to admit that the idea of recreating Dunhill formulas was a success.

Pipe Used: Peterson 05, 999

Age When Smoked: 2019

Purchased From: Online

Similar Blends: Peterson - Early Morning Pipe.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Let me start by saying that while Early Morning was my first tobacco when I started smoking a pipe, I have never been a huge fan of it: I soon moved either to heavier Latakia mixtures, or to Virginia flakes, and I have never found a regular place in my rotation for EMP quite simply because it didn't fit a precise spot. That said, I have smoked it several times in the last 20 years.

This "clone", while still standing in that "no man's land" (not enough Latakia and taste for me), is a very good blend though. Yes, it might be unexciting, but there is finesse, balance, and it's a blend that could actually appeal to an experienced and jaded smoker.

The tin aroma is fantastic, very rich, ripe, sweet and smoky. I seem to remember that the original EMP from decades ago was even more intoxicating, deeper and richer, but I am not complaining. The smoking experience is actually quite close to that of EMP from the Murray era: maybe a tad lighter, smoother (in spite of being touted as a light blend, the original EMP had a certain richness/dirty character and rough edges), which is not bad if you consider what it tries to achieve (a blend for a morning smoke). Taste is not dominated by Latakia, it's actually quite subtle. Not wimpy, not flat, simply not a taste explosion: rather, a fine integration of rich ripe Virginias, fragrant orientals and a touch of Latakia smokiness. I am finding this definitely better and more satisfactory than Oxford Street (another light EM) in the same line of blends: it has more richness, more complexity, and lightness does not come at the expense of flavour evolution or sheer "presence".

For me, even if it won't join my regular rotation, it's a very well made blend: a bit lighter and easier than the Murray made Dunhill original, and certainly richer, more complex and obviously more satisfying than the flattish recent STG Dunhill/Peterson incarnations.