Bright Virginia is heated, turning it dark and bringing out the natural sugar. Good as an everyday smoke or as a blender.

Packaging Bulk
Strength
Taste
3.8
Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (191)
Very Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Stoved Va is my favourite genre of tobacco. With the demise of McClelland and the now absence of those blends containing their wonderful stoved tobaccos, and the unreliability in supply of Rattray's Black Virginia and Rattray's Dark Fragrant, the tobacco apocalypse appeared to have come early for me. I have trolled thru dozens of tobaccos described as 'unflavoured Black Cavendish' or 'natural Black Virginia' and similar hoping to find a bulk, easily available dark stoved Va, all to little avail. For my efforts I now have a very large jar of mixed tobacco of varying shades of vaniila, caramel, maple and Heaven knows what else. I use it for my excursion tobacco. It isn't very nice, but it at least has the virtue of being relatively inoffensive to strangers.

So when I came across this tobacco on my Friday Buy Day, my heart leapt a little to see a bulk offering clearly marked as a Stoved Va and unflavoured. But the often disappointed part of me was cautious. I was well past 'fool me twice' on this score.

But praise be! This is what it claims to be. A straight, bulk offering of unflavoured Stoved Black Viginia. I have found my unicorn blend.

To the tobacco. Given the sort of reviews I see on Tobacco Reviews, stoved Va is not a well loved beast. I appear to be an outlier in this regard, so take this review with that in mind. Chances are YMMV.

This tobacco is loaded with dried fruit aromas: currants, candied lemon peel etc. For me it is like smoking a Christmas pudding. It has very little nicotine. Puffed at a slow pace, as I think it should be, it does not produce much smoke at all. But it is packed with interesting flavours. I find stoved Vas do not bite, and 507S is no exception. Again, YMMV. It has the odd rough edge; I doubt this has the same quality source leaf as the Rattray's product, but to be fair, it is also a fraction of the price. Loving it. Highly recommended but only for lovers of the type.

Pipe Used: Ceramic

Similar Blends: Rattray's Black Virginia.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Once the bright Virginia leaf is stoved, it offers mildly fermented and tangy, rich, deep, dark fruit, a lot of earth and sugar, and very light lemon notes. The strength is a couple of steps past the mild level, while the taste just passes the medium mark. The nic-hit is hair more obvious than the strength threshold. No chance of bite or harshness. Burns a tad slow, very cool and clean with a sweetly consistent flavor from start to finish. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and needs an average number of relights. Has a very pleasant, lightly lingering after taste and room note. Does well in the pipe as it is, though I do recommend a smallish bowl. As a mixer - which it was designed to be - it adds depth and dimension to any blend you choose to invent.

-JimInks

StevieB (1902)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Sutliff Tobacco Co. - Stoved Virginia #507-S.

This review could be short: a very rich Virginia!

#507-S isn't just a ribbon, as badged. In fact, the blend's made of virtually black, very coarse pieces; a Mixture. The nose is full and fruity. I'm smoking this fresh and the moisture's refulgent; no airing was needed.

The moisture aids an easy ignition, and then, that word again: rich. The taste has all the fruit/luxury, one could expect from a top end Va. However, any citrus/sharp Va flavours are defunct; it's all about sweet, dark, fruit. Due to the coarse cut it burns slow, and medium in temperature. I get no tongue bite.

Nicotine: mild. Room-note: nice.

Stoved Virginia #507-S? Four stars:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Mr Brog Bulldog

Purchased From: 4noggins

TCody Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TCody (11)

I use this as a substitute for McClelland's Blackwoods Flake when blending. It does the job, however, it lacks the famous barbecue sauce note. On it's own, it is a good, tangy, easy to smoke Virginia.

Pipe Used: Variety of pipes dedicated to Virginia.

Purchased From: Don't remember.

Similar Blends: Dunhill Dark Flake, McClelland's dark flakes..

Adam T Valleau Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adam T Valleau (21)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow! This blend is just great! I love it. The stoving really brings out the sweetness. It is like carmelizing an onion or garlic clove. The pouch note is understated, but a slightly charred aroma is noticeable. The smoke is rich, thick and tastes of ... stewed fruit with a touch of charred grassiness. Burns easily and slowly. Fantastic! Get some!

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, Al Pascia Curvy 03