Beginning with healthy portions of white and dark burley blended with red and bright Virginia leaf, C&D's Redburn then incorporates a touch of spicy dark fired Kentucky, topping it with the flavors of dark rum and molasses and pressing into an old fashioned crumble cake.

Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Kentucky, Virginia
FlavoringMolasses, Rum
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging2 ounce tin, 8 ounce tin, 16 ounce bulk
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste

3.2
Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (102)

A lovely blend! Slightly heavier emphasis on the Burley elements with the Virginias providing moderation. The rum and molasses supply some extra sweetness and a little something to the aroma of the smoke. The dark-fired Kentucky is just a spice. The label description pretty much gives you what you need to form a fair impression of how it should smoke--no surprises. Right out of the tin the crumble cake is just a little damp and needs some air time. Very pleasant smoke aroma, but short of an aromatic except in the “purest” sense of the term. Absolutely NO detractors! Relatively rich and smooth and pretty much medium overall (perhaps a touch less). Consistent from top-to-bottom. A friendly and congenial smoker, engaging taste, and easy to like!!

Age When Smoked: Young

StevieB (1902)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Cornell & Diehl - Redburn (Melville At Sea).

I often begin a Friday with an aromatic/flavoured blend, and as I adore the krumble kake cut I selected Redburn as today's choice.

Unlike a few kakes Redburn arrives as a single block. It's medium brown, smells a little rummy, and where preparation's concerned it's one of the easiest kakes I've come across. Moisture? My first bowl was fresh and it smoked fine.

In the smoke the leader of the pack's the rich Burley, tasting of a high quality. This outweighs the other leaves. The Virginia gives a backing of hay, and I get hardly any of the dark fired Kentucky; don't expect a heavy fire-cured flavour. I get a mild, sweet touch from the toppings but nothing so alcoholic as to scream ''RUM''; it isn't as clear cut a flavour as something like G.H. Rum Flake. Redburn burns well without a bite.

Nicotine: a smidgen above medium. Room-note: I'm not a big fan.

Redburn? Should please Burley fans, but I won't go the whole hog and give it four stars. Still, it deserves three:

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef: Friday Pipe

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (303)

Snork and you shall receive... Redburn is an old school Burley and Virginia crumble cake with a very very light topping of what i believe is Honey, Rum and perhaps maple or molasses. Nothing offensive or anything that will take away from the natural tobacco flavors. Came dry enough to load up a Missouri Meerschaum cob , two lights and i was off to the races! Mild to medium, just enough nicotine to keep me satisfied and mild enough both in strength and flavor to be an all day smoke. A good replacement for any Burley flake that is unavailable at the moment (or for good , who knows at this point) I am glad i have found another solid Burley Cake that i can fall back on and also start hoarding just in case. I really liked this blend and after smoking half the tin i can rate it at 4* ! Yummy!

Age When Smoked: Young - 02/07/18 on tin

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (311)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After falling in love with C&D's Black Frigate I was eager to try the Burley-equivalent of Black Frigate. Very similiar to Black Frigates tin note, but the rum part is less sweet, a bit more alcoholic and you also get a nice molasses undertone, which harmonizes perfectly with the rum.

In the pipe it offers a warm, earthy and nutty Burley foundation, seasoned with a hint of dark fired Kentucky for interest and Virginias sweetness for balance. On top of that the mild flavoring enriches the tobaccos taste, mainly with a "dark" molasses sweetness. Warm and comfty. In the back there's a mild note of rum. Slightly alcoholish, spicy, somewhat fruity, a little sweetness. All components melt expectionally well and offer a All-Day Burley with a lot of charme!

The Burley-brother of the Black Frigate for my taste. Not as complex and deep as BF, but a bit bolder, warmer, and more full-bodied. Anyways wonderful blend by itself and surely a 4-star worthy one!

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (185)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

I bought some Redburn a few weeks ago and have been smoking some of this in a cob. The tin note has a really sweet pungent smell to it but not in a really bad way. May be the rum and molasses not sure. It is a nice soft medium brown plug and crumbles easily. This is a fairly young tin dated 051618 and was still somewhat moist out of the tin. Smokes smooth and sweet but the flavoring is lighter smoking it than smelling it if you know what I mean. As some would say a really good Burley. Odd sounding name to me though.

Pipe Used: Cob

Voyaging Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Voyaging (59)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

The presentation was nice, a neat crumble cake, and a smaller cake that would fill a little more than one bowl. The smell was quite strong, letting you know there was quite a bit of flavor added. The cake is a little moist, but drying will eliminate some of the flavors the toppings provide. However that could be a good or bad thing.

The taste was kind of mild to start and a lot of the spicy from the Kentucky made itself known early on. The flavor gets more mellow and you get some oat notes, some nuttiness, the barest fruit tangy character. The toppings really get in the way of what could have been a nice blend. The rum just tastes odd, and cheap, and the molasses isn't really detectable, to my taste. At first, this blend reminded me a little of G.L. Pease Navigator (that changed after a few bowls)

The combustion is decent, depending on whether you dry it out or not. The strength was medium. The nicotine was medium. I noticed it, but it's not overwhelming.

I would maybe recommend this to someone that like burley blends, and I say that with reticence because of the flavoring present.

Pipe Used: bent pot,canadian

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin

Similar Blends: G. L. Pease - Navigator (Old London Series).

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (155)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Popping my first, young tin of Redburn, instead of what I think of as a crumble cake I see the tobacco is short ribbons ranging from light to mid red-browns, with a very few dark brown bits, all blended and loosely pressed into a soft cube. Tin note is of the fragrant meadow ilk, with attitude, and the toppings are quite tame, just a hint of molasses and barely a breath of sweetened rum, and maybe some berries got close at some point. Moisture seems spot on for smoking straight away, but I recommend drying it some, for reasons I’ll get right into. As for smoking Redburn, if you want a true ornery codger experience, just pack it tight and draw hard. That’ll do’er. If, OTOH, you want it fragrant and delicious, then a loose load in a big bowl and a snail’s pace are the order of the day. R lights well enough when it’s dried, and it needs only regular, very gentle tamping to keep it smoldering. It burns down pretty fast, even though I take it easy. Lit, the scents are like the tin note, fragrant, woody resins from the Burly along with meadow grasses and just a little sweet earth and body from the VAs, with fat, resins, and some spice from a small quantity of KY. Tastes parallel the scents, along with some cashew. True to its Burley roots, Reburn produces some tannic bitterness that balances and offsets the added sugars, and the VAs and KY both are also tart.. There is plenty of smoke when it’s puffed, and the tastes and fragrances are very consistent, top to bottom, except the tastes intensify. Delicate, fragrant side streams abound all during the smoke. Strength builds past medium. When it’s smoked slowly tastes might seem mild to medium to Burleyphiles, but I suspect many will register the cumulative VA and Burley spices and tannins as being more than medium. Room note is pleasant. Aftertaste is a bitter-sweet version of the best of the smoke.

How I like this Redburn! And all it wants from me is time and a big-bowled pipe that hasn’t seen darker leaf. It rather reminds me of Peterson’s Hyde Park in that it can be warm and fuzzy or grumpy and rough, depending on how it’s smoked. All in all, I recommend Redburn first to Burley lovers, then to anyone who is confident they can keep the burn rate curbed. Of course, codgers don’t give a damn what I say, and they’ll smoke it how they please, thankyouverymuch. 4 stars from me. With rest this has become a favorite of mine.

Pipe Used: brairs with large bowls

Age When Smoked: young and counting

Purchased From: Cup o' Joes

Uncle Al Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uncle Al (15)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Strong

Cornell & Deihl Redburn is an almost sweet, almost flavoured, unabashed Burley on the front foot blend somewhere between medium and strong. I don’t like Burley tobacco much, but as other reviewers have noted, if lightly packed and taken slowly in a large bowl pipe it truly is a delicious, deeply satisfying blend of upfront, natural tobaccos. Relights well within reason. I bought bulk. Redburn deserves the short rub out time it takes to prepare for the unhurried enjoyment. If storing I recommend moistening with a few teaspoons of dark rum. Redburn resonates with me against my expectations.

Pipe Used: Oom Paul, Chimney bowl sitter

Age When Smoked: A couple of months in storage

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (117)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Based on the open tin aroma, a blend that promises more than it delivers. The tin aroma is wonderful with a slight alcoholic bouquet from real light rum and sweet spices melded with the tobacco being predominately Burley. But, that anticipated sweetness doesn't come through enough in the smoke for my taste. This is where things like licorice powder, invert sugar, glycerin and other additives would bolster the underlying sweetness and carry the main flavor. But, that is more of a traditional Industry approach which C&D isn't. It's a light, more natural and honest augmentation to a blend dominated by C&D's robust burleys; The casing does smooth them out but, still expect a good amount of nicotine strength. Likely to be appreciated by those who love C&D's distinctive bold natural burleys but with a twist. Not my cup of tea.

Come to think of it, the tin aroma reminds me a bit like Half & Half and the older version of Middleton's Cherry Blend.

RonR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RonR (29)
Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable

3rdguy

Just finished my tin. I am a sucker for anything plug or cake form. Burley drives the bus with the KY and Virginia showing up very little. My tin came bone dry. Zero moisture to it and the tin was just 6 months old from Smoking Pipes. Rum was readily apparent in the tin note and it actually did translate a bit into the actual smoke. Decent smoke, obviously burned without issue as dry as it was. No bite. Nothing bad to report really but nothing great either. I love burley and C&D blends some great ones so I will pick a tin up at some point down the road to address the dryness issue.

Pipe Used: Briars

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Rustedrailsmokes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rustedrailsmokes (147)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've found that I really enjoy the Krumble Kake's from C&D. To me this one is a burley forward blend with just a little sweetness from the Rum on top. The VA and KY add some sweet and dark notes and it packs a bigger nic hit than you'd expect. My tin was 7 months old and I found the moisture content to be perfect to light up without drying.

It's not a blend to me that goes "Smoke me all day" due to that nic hit but I really enjoy it in the evening in my smaller pipes.

Pipe Used: smaller bowled Canadians etc

Age When Smoked: 7 months when opened

Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (69)
Medium Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Redburn is just another mediocre C&D product. Nothing special here. The quality of leaf is good of course, but the crumble cake itself was a mess. I just rubbed the whole thing out at once and jarred it up. The tin note had a slightly sweet, funky, musty aroma to it which I attribute the alcohol topping. However, it smells like no rum that I have ever come across. I don’t know what it is, but it is not good. As for the molasses casing, I bet it’s more like table sugar water with teaspoon of molasses dissolved. Out of the tin the tobacco was quite moist. As it dries out much of the weird odors dissipate. As for the smoke itself there is not much to say. Pretty boring and it has no bite. I didn’t get any of the harshness that some are complaining about. In fact, it was quite smooth to me. I get a little sweetness from the Virginia and the sugar casing, some earthy nuttiness from the Burleys and maybe a hint of spice from the dark fired. I do taste something else, but it is not rum and it is distracting. My tin is about 1 ½ years old. I’m glad I only have 1 tin. It's not bad, but not that good either. Don’t waste your time with this one. C&D really has too many boring, underwhelming products and need to refocus. It’s ironic that they blend for GL Please, which I feel is more sophisticated, nuanced and refined and really keeps thing interesting.

Age When Smoked: 1.5 years

troyniss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
troyniss (12)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Presentation: A eye pleasing crumble cake with mostly medium brown ribbon, and a few golds and darker portions speckled throughout compressed into a semi dense block. The same form factor as Black Frigate, Blockade Runner, etc. Tears apart easily and it fluffs out into a generous amount of tobacco. Grab less than you think you need.

Palate: Tin aroma is burley throughout with hints of the bright and red Virginia. The topping provides a brown sugar note and the rum is applied moderately. The main portion of burleys provides a nice semi sweet chocolate and molasses flavor that is also a bit nutty and dry. The Virginias are a nice addition to the natural flavors of burley and provide a nice earthy glaze on top. The dark fired is represented well in this cake, adding just a touch of spice when you need it and not overdone. The perfect amount to keep your taste buds interested.

Performance: Burns quite fast due to the nature of the cake. Essentially it's fine ribbons compressed, and it rubs out into smaller ribbons. You can either prepare this in small chunks slightly broken or fully turn it into it's each individual components. Either way, it burns with no effort applied to the draw. However, if you do decide to rub it out fully, be sure to leave a few thicker chunks at the bottom, as the smaller pieces can interrupt your airflow by being lodged in the shank. Medium nicotine hit. Not an all day smoke but certainly able to repeat it.

Conclusion: I'm a sucker for plugs, cakes and flakes and it's no doubt that I wanted this. This is like the Captain Morgan of tobaccos. It's a little sweet with the molasses and rum topping and a little spicy with the addition of dark fired burley. I prefer smoking this in the late autumn and early winter as it has a warming quality to it, just like a nice adult spirit. Opening a fresh tin the burleys are quite dry in taste and it's hard to detect the Virginias. I've had the remaining portion of this cake jarred for a year and it has turned into a pretty great blend. The rum has tapered off and the sweet chocolate flavors of the burleys have intensified. The dark fired burley hasn't changed that much but the Virginias have given the blend a nice toasty bread note as well. I'm not sure if I will buy this blend again even though I quite enjoyed it. Another tin might possibly end up in my cellar, but not anytime soon.

Pipe Used: Morgan Bones Short Poker and Thick Bulldog